SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2011, 08:28 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,771 Posts
It's not a woven spread tow. You're right, it appears to be three layers of combed, very light uni at angles to each other but not woven, and not at 45 degrees. I had an opportunity to handle one of these and they're very light and stiff. We'll see how the properties compare over time.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 08:36 AM
R&G
Composite Technology
Stuttgart
Joined Oct 2005
79 Posts
Thanks for clarifying!
R&G is offline Find More Posts by R&G
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:49 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
I'd seen some drawings of this beast a year or so ago, and kept hearing snippets of the progress reports. I talked with Barry about it a bit yesterday. It all sounds very intriguing.

It should be noted that the Supra has been very successful for many years now. The principals involved in the design, fabrication, and marketing of this plane would not be pursuing it unless they thought that it was significantly better than currently available products.
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:49 PM
Latvia
Joined Jul 2009
50 Posts
We seen this new ship on Wilga cup when visiting Vladimir factory. Dont know how it fly but on a table it looked REALY BIG BIG BIG! The new carbon material looks even lighter- the plane is realy lite, Vladimir ensured that tail booms are nearly twice lighter than regular carbon and all the rest too. Hard to believe.. It was a test version, maybe it will have some changes about that. We have not seen it in flight so hard to say how good it is.
biesas is offline Find More Posts by biesas
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:34 AM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
The "Keep it a mistery contest" is already won by Egida, so the pics can easily come, many thx. J.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:11 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
Spread Tow

Sorry Tom, our Spread Tow is only 2 layers at +/- 30 degrees and weighs 45 grams per sq. meter. We can make the fiber orientation at any angle we need for the design loads.
Because of the platform shape of the Supra and JW's new Toy, MAXA, we are using 30 degrees. Using the ST we have been able to achieve 90 gram weight reduction in Supra center panels.
This material will be available to purchase later this summer in 4 meter lengths. No price is available yet.

Barry
Blaster is online now Find More Posts by Blaster
Old Jun 08, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Aug 2005
165 Posts
Maxa

Photos and spec are now posted to the Kennedy Composites web site. http://www.kennedycomposites.com/
Tom Gressman is online now Find More Posts by Tom Gressman
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:35 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
Ok. They have gone to conventional elevator.

It will be interesting to see how are the aerodynamics. 60oz weight is terribly light for a 3.9m F3J plane. Supra and Icon 2 have performed well being this light while the other top planes need to weight more to perform well.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:31 AM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Great to See the New MAXA 3-view

Great to finally see the new design.

I fly Supra's and Icon 2's and it is interseting to see what Joe has come up with to increase the performance of the Supra.

The 3-view reveals that the center section span is the same as the Supra. The flap chord has been increased. With a 60 oz projected flying weight, landing flap control should be effective. For comparison, the Icon 2 has 71.5" center section span with flap chord similar to Supra.

It would be interesting to here from the designer on the selection of center section span as it relates to quick launching and landing control.

The size of the stab is slightly bigger than the Supra competiion stab. No airfoil named? JW designed? Barry said the stab and rudder were designed for the 3.9m wingspan. Again for comparison, the Icon 2 stab span is 34" and uses a JW airfoil.

No area listed? My guess would be about 1190 from the 3-view.

Can't wait to here the flight reports. Good Luck on your new design!

Jon
JP-Soar is online now Find More Posts by JP-Soar
Last edited by JP-Soar; Jun 09, 2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:56 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
907 Posts
Its possible you will find the centre panel size is the biggest it can be and still easily/cheaply shipped. I had heard the molded Supra was modified from the original measurements to allow easier shipping.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:02 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
965 Posts
Forgive me for this post, in advance ...
I never liked the look of the Icon, but Maxa is even uglier.
Brrrrr, I get chills just me watching it, the ugliest I've seen so far.
The wings and stabilizers, beautiful, but the fuselage and fin, the worst I've seen.
I had perhaps been able to accept the fuselage, but the fin ...
How can they even be allowed produce something like that ... brrrr

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by liukku; Jun 09, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:45 PM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,198 Posts
The design will I'm sure perform as intended. I'd appreciate any comments about spar/wing strength for hard launches at that weight.

My data point for comparison is my 60oz Superstarlight full carbon 68K. At 3.4m span and similar aspect ratio I need to be careful winch launching with mono when there is any wind.

That said, the light weight makes for fast launches with good height even though I'm soft-pedalling and feeding in down elevator to limit the load. I'd expect the Maxa to share that benefit so long as the wing stays together.

I'm asking because I'm keen on the plane!
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:06 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:42 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku View Post
Forgive me for this post, in advance ...
I never liked the look of the Icon, but Maxa is even uglier.
Brrrrr, I get chills just me watching it, the ugliest I've seen so far.
The wings and stabilizers, beautiful, but the fuselage and fin, the worst I've seen.
I had perhaps been able to accept the fuselage, but the fin ...
How can they even be allowed produce something like that ... brrrr

/Ville

The wing is actually pretty standard in appearance (planform) the elevator is almost "normal" as well being just a little more swept forward than usual. I suspect the rudder is a trade off and the fuse in not that bad in my opinion.
At least it's not as ugly as the Egita...

What's most interesting to me is how much alike is the 3.5 meter Maxa in comparison to my Gremlin (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106458).
Similar planform (everybody uses the similar design tools so most planform are similar) 3.45 in wing span, built up elevator.
I'd be happy to know what are the airfoils for a full comparison as my airfoils are basically modified Supra foils.
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:54 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk View Post
Its possible you will find the centre panel size is the biggest it can be and still easily/cheaply shipped. I had heard the molded Supra was modified from the original measurements to allow easier shipping.

This makes me cringe.... I new this was the case for the Supra. The center section was supposed to be larger by 3" per Mark Drela design but was compromised due to cost of shipping from factory.....

I hope this was not the case for the MAXA.
JP-Soar is online now Find More Posts by JP-Soar