to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:13 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
Francesco helped us out with some simulations on the MAXA. This an excerpt from his findings.

"From my simulations it looks like it's a close match between 4 degrees and 6 degrees for the min sink setting. I don't consider the absolute sink rate value to be much significant, because XFLR5 doesn't estimate parasitic and interference drag, but just for the records it predicts it at 22 cm/s for a Maxa 4 at 1750 grams.
"
"I decided for comparison to analyze the Maxa at the same static margin, 8%, as my Supra, giveing a CG at 112 mm for MAXA.

More to follow and will be posted on our web site.

www.kennedycomposites.com

Barry
thanks for that Barry. Am now having a bunch of fun with Maxa E. Unusually wet and windy in Sydney this year and most flights are in 6-8 m/s wind. At 1.9 kg the 3.9 Maxa will slowly penetrate that wind with flat foil, and is static, maybe moving back a touch in thermal setting.

Certainly signals lift very well and has been very straightforward to land every flight. In high energy lift conditions its pleasantly aerobatic. Have yet to complete a full rolling circle but sure it will do one when the occasion presents.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:37 AM
FAV
Ukraine
Joined May 2009
25 Posts
MAXA 4m, CG 112 mm, flight weight of 1680 gram. Early morning, windless weather, dead air with low overcast. Launch from rubber hi-start.
FAV is offline Find More Posts by FAV
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:22 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
608 Posts
It looks like you encountered two layers of air (thermal inversion?), one above 90 m, one below. Above 90 m height I reckon your sink rate was about 22 cm/s, and 30 cm/s below. Congratulations!
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:29 AM
FAV
Ukraine
Joined May 2009
25 Posts
Thanks Francesco !
From that this glider well flies, the merit thanks to you from your recommendations about adjustment of model, rather than mine as is more than pilot.
FAV is offline Find More Posts by FAV
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:44 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAV View Post
MAXA 4m, CG 112 mm, flight weight of 1680 gram. Early morning, windless weather, dead air with low overcast. Launch from rubber hi-start.
As I read your chart you had approxomately a 150 M launch, 490 feet and did almost 11 minutes with only minor indications of occasional lift.

Is that the net of it?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:28 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
As I read your chart you had approxomately a 150 M launch, 490 feet and did almost 11 minutes with only minor indications of occasional lift.

Is that the net of it?
Probably not 11 mins, I estimate it was free from the bungee at 75 secs from time zero.
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:26 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2003
42 Posts
What servos are people using with the Maxa, Rx packs also. Is there a ballast system to use/or available for this model. Is there enough space to use a ball raced supported servo horn wing mount.
many thanks
maharaja is offline Find More Posts by maharaja
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:08 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Hyperion on the ailerons, MKS on the flaps. There is a ballast system identical to Supra. Been enjoying my Maxa - E heaps lately. Use any RX pack you like. Mine has a 2S 800 Lipo with Voltron regulator for a totally steady and reliable 5.5 v
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:14 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,585 Posts
David-

095 Hyperions for the ailerons? If so, what is the virdict on them?? I love their DS11's, but haven't yet tried the wing servos....

Thanks, Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:00 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
No great verdict. They seem to centre reasonably and minimal slop and have not been a cause for comment either positive or negative so far. Just a servo I would say. You can get away with a bit less on the ailerons. They are a good price and readily available. The MKS are undoubtedly better.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:48 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,367 Posts
Ditto for me, 095's for ailerons and 6125's for flaps. I have not had a chance the last couple of months to fly it but it's ready and waiting for F3J in the Desert. If I had to do it over again I might even try 095's on the flaps as I feel they might be sufficient although not as good as the 6125's.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,585 Posts
Thanks.
Please add an update if you feel swayed one way or the other.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
560 Posts
Trailing Edge Settings

Finally got my 3.9ishm Maxa into the air. Its 1760g (a Maxa "Hard", I understand the wing has some beef added from the earlier versions), and CG for first flights is 105mm.

Flies very slowly compared to my Supras at the same weight (and conditions ~15km/hr breeze) . Suggests that I don't yet have the TE optimised. Cannot find any information on the cruise setting. What section should I be looking for? At least with the AG40 series airfoils I can see what they should be in the information provided by Dr Drela over the years. Without that information for the Maxa, its trial and error (otherwise known as experimentation).

Is it possible Joe (or Barry) to post a picture of what constitutes design TE location in cruise mode? Or is the expectation that we suck it and see?

Apart from that, I'm happy with it. Certainly seems strong enough, although at the moment only a light air model (until I sort a ballast system).

Hutton
VHO is offline Find More Posts by VHO
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:31 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,096 Posts
Congrats on your new ship Hutton.

1760g = 62.08oz for the deci-metrically challenged.

and 3.9m span....these things won't need winching.

Any chance of some photos/ video?
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Last edited by DrFragnasty; Feb 26, 2012 at 01:46 AM.