HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,878 Posts
Are you driving a 3.5 or the big wing?

The Maxa is designed with a bit more attention to very light air performance as compared to the Supra. The trade is that it will want ballast a little bit earlier than the Supra needs ballast. My theory for this trade was that one can add ballast for wind, but one cannot add lightness for dead air.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:34 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
The big wing Joe. Will you be at the Armidale comp? My idea was to get the wing loading of an electric down low for F5J competition. You only get one motor run in that comp, so if you don't find lift in the climb you have to move around the sky like other gliders. Something I'm not much used to.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:23 AM
France
Joined May 2006
657 Posts
Is the hinge gap sealed on the Maxxa ?
I cannot tell from the few picture i saw of it .
vulpina is offline Find More Posts by vulpina
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
The hinge gap is fully sealed. The model is well produced and bits fit together better than they did on early Supras. Although the lightweight nature of the wing, particularly the centre panel is what strikes you first off, when compared with other designs I've seen, its the pod and boom system and the particularly lightweight boom that produce significant weight savings.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:33 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,878 Posts
I wish that I could make it to Armidale. My one experience at that event was very good. Just a busy schedule at this time of the year (that, and tix have not been cheap).

What was the wing loading of your E Supra as compared to the e Maxa? I suspect that the Maxa is a bit lower...
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:20 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
This comparison is between the E Maxa and the old style Supra as a winch glider. I haven't weighed the Supra as a glider but I am guessing its about 1.8-1.9 kg

The gross wing loadings are fairly similar but I think the cubic wing loading of the Maxa as an electric is actually lower than that of the ballast free Supra which produces the lower cruise speed.

Is the maxa aerofoil designed to carry much camber in cruise? I just have a 2-3 mm kind of similar to the Supra. Not sure if I've seen any official settings. And I guess for max penetration it probably needs a 1-2 mm of actual reflex compared to a flat trailing edge?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:34 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,762 Posts
Joe-

If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason to use a more traditional stabilator in the fin arrangement over the Supra style V-mounted full flying horizontal??
I have my hunches, but I'd rather hear your own thoughts.

Thanks,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,607 Posts
Obviously only Joe can answer that, but I would guess ease of manufacturing. When they are easier to make, there is more room for weight savings too.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,147 Posts
I really dislike the V mounts on the Supra/AvA/Icon2 ... doesn't keep me from flying them, but I don't have to like them.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:05 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Joe-

If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason to use a more traditional stabilator in the fin arrangement over the Supra style V-mounted full flying horizontal??
I have my hunches, but I'd rather hear your own thoughts.

Thanks,
Target
That is a good question. I would like to hear from Joe on this myself.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
And then there's marketing.... per TK's comments
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:46 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
I really dislike the V mounts on the Supra/AvA/Icon2 ... doesn't keep me from flying them, but I don't have to like them.

tk
Tom-

I haven't dealt with the V-mounts myself. What is it that you dislike about them??

R,
Target
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,664 Posts
The V-mount has an interesting pedigree.

Daedalus by Mark Drela.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I haven't dealt with the V-mounts myself. What is it that you dislike about them??
I suppose mostly it's my personal idea of esthetics, but in addition to being ugly, they are exposed, easily damaged in handling and packing and they look kludgy. To my mind, they create drag, but I'm sure someone will say they are less drag than the fin/stab interference drag on an X tail.

I much prefer an internal bellcrank in the fin.

I also prefer cross tails to V tails, and I prefer not to make downwind turns

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,762 Posts
I'll be the guy that says that its less draggy. But I'm only regurgitating what I have read, so....
Copy all on the exposed and therefore easily damaged, though. And they are different looking.... However, being exposed could be argued as being more readily serviceable....

Thanks for the chime in.

Still looking to hear what JW has to say (when you have time, Joe!)

R,
Target