HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:24 PM
Sink Stinks
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,453 Posts
Bottom line is that there are just not that many out and about just yet. So it may be a while before there is much feedback on them posted around the Internet.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:17 PM
hst
Registered User
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2006
68 Posts
It would be good if a new product, especially a high-profile one, is shown with some videos of actual flying...!
hst is offline Find More Posts by hst
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
Registered User
stefanoc2's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
453 Posts
I promise, video or no video it does exist.
I saw one and held it in my hands at the TNT in Dallas last week.
Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:56 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
tkallev's Avatar
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoc2 View Post
I promise, video or no video it does exist.
I saw one and held it in my hands at the TNT in Dallas last week.
Stefano
Yup, sure enough there was one flying ...
tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:39 PM
KC6ZZS
Ben Clerx's Avatar
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
My statement, carefully worded, is still accurate, and needs no editing....

There WAS one flying at Visalia (there could have been more), and I THOUGHT it was Ben flying one (I could have been mistaken).

Truth be told, I was too busy making my times (in Unlimited) to pay attention.... ;-)

R,
Target
A perfectly accurate observation. I was flying Barry's Maxa after the competition rounds ended on Sat. I did bring LJ's Maxa to Visalia, but didn't want to risk breaking it (after all, it did belong to Larry, and I also planned on bringing it to the F3J Team Selection). For the competition rounds, I flew my 68 oz. Disser Aspire, which had a "For Sale" sign on it in the pits (and is still available).
Ben Clerx is offline Find More Posts by Ben Clerx
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:07 PM
Registered User
stefanoc2's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
453 Posts
So Ben, did you fly the MAXA at the TS or was it to windy?
Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:12 AM
KC6ZZS
Ben Clerx's Avatar
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoc2 View Post
So Ben, did you fly the MAXA at the TS or was it to windy?
Stefano
The weather forecast was for wind, so I left the 61 ounce, 4m Maxa at home (I didn't even have ballast for it). I flew my 3 Aspires: 2 ST's (72 oz) and a C-68 (79 oz). ST's on day 1 in the rain (only a little wind). Day 2 was the ST and the standard C-68, depending on the wind. Day 3 was with a lightly ballasted ST for the first flight. The rest of the day was the C-68 ballasted to 86 oz. Normally I would have ballasted heavier, but I still needed to be able to thermal at low altitudes (below 100 ft) in the cycling air, which I unfortunately had to do a few times (I prefer to just stay high and not have to demonstrate my low altitude skills) .

I could have ballasted the ST's to the same weight (they are full strength), but my C-68 was slightly more expendable. No point risking my brand new ST's when I needed the C-68's weight anyway

I also brought my 68 oz Disser Aspire since my model box fits 4 Aspires--just in case the forecast called for some morning dead air, although the ST's are equally perfect for that (in fact, my best dead air performances have been with the heavier C-68. But I've flown it in a lot more contests). I flew the Disser in the Visalia contest and was more proficient on it than the Maxa (which I only have a dozen flights on).
Ben Clerx is offline Find More Posts by Ben Clerx
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:03 PM
Tragic case
davidleitch's Avatar
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
I'm still unclear about the differences between the maxi and icon2 at least on paper.

Same price, maxa a bit lighter, and different foil? What else?

Icon 2 is available but masa is still ramping up
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2011, 11:01 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Clerx View Post
The weather forecast was for wind, so I left the 61 ounce, 4m Maxa at home (I didn't even have ballast for it). I flew my 3 Aspires: 2 ST's (72 oz) and a C-68 (79 oz). ST's on day 1 in the rain (only a little wind). Day 2 was the ST and the standard C-68, depending on the wind. Day 3 was with a lightly ballasted ST for the first flight. The rest of the day was the C-68 ballasted to 86 oz. Normally I would have ballasted heavier, but I still needed to be able to thermal at low altitudes (below 100 ft) in the cycling air, which I unfortunately had to do a few times (I prefer to just stay high and not have to demonstrate my low altitude skills) .

I could have ballasted the ST's to the same weight (they are full strength), but my C-68 was slightly more expendable. No point risking my brand new ST's when I needed the C-68's weight anyway

I also brought my 68 oz Disser Aspire since my model box fits 4 Aspires--just in case the forecast called for some morning dead air, although the ST's are equally perfect for that (in fact, my best dead air performances have been with the heavier C-68. But I've flown it in a lot more contests). I flew the Disser in the Visalia contest and was more proficient on it than the Maxa (which I only have a dozen flights on).
Ahem - the maxa is only 3.9 meters
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:07 AM
Marc PUJOL
Joined Feb 2010
129 Posts
Is it possible to have some info on profiles (thickness, curvature with intrados flatted). This is important to judge a plane.

It seems that the thickness of the profiles is 8.8 or 9% and 2% curvature if the photos published on the web are ok.

Any confirmation?
marc.pujol is offline Find More Posts by marc.pujol
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:18 PM
Fish can fly too...
soarerf3j's Avatar
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Actually, given today's materials costs and the labor involved in building these models, $2k plus isn't that much.
I'm sure you'll be very very surprised to know what is the difference of wage in average in Ukraine and any other country. USA for example...
soarerf3j is offline Find More Posts by soarerf3j
Last edited by soarerf3j; Nov 27, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:52 PM
Sailplane Flyer
Berthoud CO
Joined Oct 2007
365 Posts
Maxa is ready for prime time

Hi Guys,

We have been snowed under in Boulder, but today I was able to test my Maxa with the new stiffer production center section. The results were great. I launched with full tension , Ober winch with Lucas motor in our F3J configuration (braided plus 1.28 mono on the airleg). Launch height has improved 50-75 feet over the previous configuration. There is still bend from the tips as this is a light 4m ship, but nothing compared to the previous version. The launches were very, very stable with no hint of falling off. I have even moved the tow hook amost all the way back. She goes vertical and pulls extremly hard all the way up.

The good news is the new section only added 1 oz to the all up weight. Mine is now at 63.2 oz.

As others have said the float and handling characteristics of this model are amazing. This is a very pilot friendly model. At this weight the plane's wing loading is 7.1 oz/sqft, which is the lightest wing loading model available and you can really see the difference with any sort of energy on the field at all.

IMO this is a great one and we will be seeing a lot of them in competition!

Thanks very much Barry!
mikeverzuh is offline Find More Posts by mikeverzuh
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:11 AM
Where is the lift?
cptsnoopy's Avatar
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,474 Posts
Thanks for the report Mike!
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:59 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeverzuh View Post
Hi Guys,

We have been snowed under in Boulder, but today I was able to test my Maxa with the new stiffer production center section. The results were great. I launched with full tension , Ober winch with Lucas motor in our F3J configuration (braided plus 1.28 mono on the airleg). Launch height has improved 50-75 feet over the previous configuration. There is still bend from the tips as this is a light 4m ship, but nothing compared to the previous version. The launches were very, very stable with no hint of falling off. I have even moved the tow hook amost all the way back. She goes vertical and pulls extremly hard all the way up.

The good news is the new section only added 1 oz to the all up weight. Mine is now at 63.2 oz.

As others have said the float and handling characteristics of this model are amazing. This is a very pilot friendly model. At this weight the plane's wing loading is 7.1 oz/sqft, which is the lightest wing loading model available and you can really see the difference with any sort of energy on the field at all.

IMO this is a great one and we will be seeing a lot of them in competition!

Thanks very much Barry!
lowest loading for a Vlad/ Kennedy offering right ?

I have the specs for three models in front of me that start at 6.46 and at the larger end stop at 7.06...3.5 meters to 4.0....all lower than the reports on the maxa...but what does that mean anyways ?

However back on track, I am interested in the spar change - was notified pre-Visalia that this was in the newer models - any word on the changes made there? Looks like a better spar for sure if the launches are translating higher.

Have you put it under a real two man tow in a little wind?
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
Sailplane Flyer
Berthoud CO
Joined Oct 2007
365 Posts
Barry should comment on the spar changes. My observations are that the Carbon 45 material looks thicker and overall the skin is stronger in combination with Spar to surface changes.

Regarding the launch tests, I would say what I ran was very much equivalent to a 2-man tow in 3-4mph breeze. We have done quite a bit of comparison of the F3J with winch method to a 2-man tow to support this. The increased center stiffness was very clear in observing the launches compared to the previous layup.

My tow-hook is now 1/8"-3/16" away from the far back slot position, which allows for greatly increased pull on launch, something I was reticent to do on the previous layup.
mikeverzuh is offline Find More Posts by mikeverzuh
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion source for hold down nut on a supra stab? charlie tasto Thermal 9 Sep 01, 2011 10:09 PM
Sold Ready to Bag Supra Wing cores includes all parts & fuse Jose E Bruzual Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 12 Jun 15, 2011 01:49 PM
For Sale Supra New Custom Dave Hauch Built Re-List icharus Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 0 Apr 21, 2011 05:33 PM
Discussion carbon push rods in teflon tubing for Supra Upvector Composites Fabrication 7 Mar 04, 2011 06:49 PM