SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:30 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkiller View Post
So I'm just wondering if what I've heard is correct.

Launches fast but not with a lot of altitude
Wings have lots of flex during launch
Fragile airframe that won't hold up to continued dork landings
Not very user friendly for set up

Please correct me if I've heard wrong. At 2600 a copy I want to make sure its worth the value. Not just a plane to fly the first round and put away.

Joe
You will be seeing one flying with you very soon Joe. You can make your mind up in person.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:34 PM
KC6ZZS
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
245 Posts
OK, here goes (with comments):

In alphabetical order:

1) Aspire (No further comments necessary. It's what I fly)
2) Icon2 (haven't flown one, but I've seen world champ DP fly it plenty)
3) Maxa (only have 3 flights on it, but looks like a winner)
4) Tragi 801 (stiff, strong, light, well built, a TD machine)
5) Xplorer 3.5/4m (flies good and best bang for the buck. 234,201 Xplorer pilots can't be wrong. OK, there's a lot of them )
6) Zenith 3.7 (thermals like a homesick angel)

If one were going to add a couple more, you'd have to add the Supra and Perfect. But the above 6 are more in tune with my flying style. There's probably a few more that can be added to the list, but I don't have enough first hand experience with them to judge.
Ben Clerx is offline Find More Posts by Ben Clerx
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:31 PM
KC6ZZS
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkiller View Post
So I'm just wondering if what I've heard is correct.

Launches fast but not with a lot of altitude
Wings have lots of flex during launch
Fragile airframe that won't hold up to continued dork landings
Not very user friendly for set up

Please correct me if I've heard wrong. At 2600 a copy I want to make sure its worth the value. Not just a plane to fly the first round and put away.

Joe
1) Launch altitude is sensitive to launch setup. Same as on any other plane. I don't have much time on mine (actually, it's Larry's, but he's not getting it back till after the TS) but I haven't seen anything yet to indicate a problem.

2) The Supra has a lot of flex also. Yeah, it looks scary. I've seen DP and Burnoski launch their Supras with our world class towmen at the 2008 W/C and bend the wings to a "U" shape, but they launched to the moon and didn't break the wings. Being that the Maxa is built by the same guy that builds the Supra, I would expect the same flex. I would prefer a stiff wing like my Aspire, but if you want light weight, I guess you'll need to subscribe to the fishing pole theory (flex is better than.....you know what). You Supra drivers out there won't be surprised, but the flex does get your attention if you haven't seen a real Supra launch (tapping it up on a club winch doesn't count. I'm talking pedal to the metal, on mono, in the wind). I think the flex has some "non-Supra experienced" Euro-pilots backing off on the launch setup, resulting in #1 above. For a plane that I'm sure will be unbeatable in dead air, I'll take the flex just like the Supra pilots take the flex.

3) Barry had a battery problem (when are you guys gonna take care of your batteries?) at the NATS and his went in vertical. I mean like buried up the the LE, and they had to dig it out. LE forward pretty much undamaged. Broke the tailboom. Stabs unscathed. I didn't ask Barry how the wings came out--probably totaled, but that is to be expected. If your dork landings are somewhat better than this, I don't think it will be a problem. I wouldn't consider the Maxa any more fragile than any of the other light sailplanes. You guys are all so bent on having the lightest planes, well you're not going to be able to just fly a sloppy approach and dive it towards the spot. You gotta level the wings before you push. If you land crooked, you're going to break most any plane.

4) I just copied my Aspire program and renamed it "Maxa". I set the launch flaps and camber settings to what I have on my Aspire and called it good to go. Haven't really changed anything yet. I know I need to tweak the Diff and Rudder mix a bit, and change the flap-elev comp a couple clicks, but it's no different than any other high performance sailplane. If you're having problems, bump the CG forward a bit. Larry had it at 103mm, but I think it will end up around 98mm for "happy landings".

I'll know more after I get more time on the plane. I'll post setup numbers when I'm done playing around. Right now they're the same as my Aspire and I don't expect to have to make much of a change to anything.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,788 Posts
R U kiddin me........ What about the ESPRIT !!!!!!!!!
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
xplorer 4000 set up

Where do I find the set up and build info on the v tail xplorer 4000. My plane did not have any info or cg information. Thanks.
Dr Kaos is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kaos
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:47 PM
KC6ZZS
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
R U kiddin me........ What about the ESPRIT !!!!!!!!!
Right plane, wrong year. The Esprit was on my list in 1997 (when most everyone else was flying obechi sheeted wings and a few bagged wings) I wonder what another 10 years will bring (besides me going totally gray....and that's best case scenario)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:58 PM
Sean Worthington
Campbell, CA
Joined Sep 2004
238 Posts
Dr. Kaos,

I just finished one. I have the CG at 107 which is quite a bit forward of where the X tails run (~120mm). The wing is set up per Tuan's specs in the Xplorer thread and I can measure the tow hook for you if you need it. PM me if you are interested in more.

Sean
S-1-11B is offline Find More Posts by S-1-11B
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:40 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kaos View Post
Where do I find the set up and build info on the v tail xplorer 4000. My plane did not have any info or cg information. Thanks.
Yo can start as far back at 110 but 107 is very safe...- I ended up at 115 on the V-tail

Stick the hook in the middle of the slot and start moving back a couple mm at atime. I ended up almost as far back as I could go with maybe 3-4 mm left.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:31 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,523 Posts
Hey you two, this is the Maxa thread...you already have an Explorer thread!
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:07 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,792 Posts
Aaron,

Hard to find any appropriate data in the Xplorer thread as it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long (and covers so many other topics!).

That thread needs a moderator to parse the thread into maybe a dozen topics of discussion...
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:26 AM
Sean Worthington
Campbell, CA
Joined Sep 2004
238 Posts
Sorry for the foul Aaron. Just trying to answer the question while I eagerly drink up the Maxa information!

Sean
S-1-11B is offline Find More Posts by S-1-11B
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:20 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,523 Posts
Hah, I was just giving you a hard time I could care less where you exchange information...its all good!
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:25 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Hey you two, this is the Maxa thread...you already have an Explorer thread!
Thread confusion - its a terrible disease...
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:17 PM
KC6ZZS
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Thread confusion - its a terrible disease...
I think the Xplorer thread is now the "sailplane general knowledge" thread. Just need to rename it
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:57 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,236 Posts
The Xplorer thread is just that, "you explore the thread looking for information you'll never find, but find information you would never look for!"

Jim
Jim Frahm is online now Find More Posts by Jim Frahm