m2c
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2011, 03:33 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
The 27.xx was an excellent flight and a stunning time but there have also been times set by diving which have been pretty stunning.

WR (unofficial as it is) has to be under a standard set of rules that are easy to replicate in a fair way
In the Uk we have always said that WR's exclude Crow through starts, and for as long as I recall whenever the conditions have been good enough to potentially offer a WR time we have flown single rounds.
It may seem to be a small point and many who were there may say that no advantage was gained by the crow through start that the 27xx had, but that isn't the point.
If Crows starts are allowed then advantage can be gained very easily. WR attempts could be made by allowing the right pilot to have many goes, or fly around waiting until he "feels" the air before starting his run. The end result will be a devalued WR time.

To some extent this has already happened because of this 27xx time, following Inakis run there was a lot of confusion with some pilots believing it to be a record and others not.

For me Inakis is the true WR holder.

The 27.xx is a confusion that has devalued our sport. Although it is very interesting and as I said very well done - but we have restrictions such as max wind speed and min course length, 30sec max climb out , and no diving, all to make the sport as comparable to all around the world as possible.

For individual comps it matters not whether rules are changed, to suit the day, shorter course, longer climb outs what ever the competitors on that day agree on, it will be the same for all of them so as a competition thats fine, but having changed the rules the comp is no longer a "true" f3f that is able to be judged by others who were not there.
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old May 27, 2011, 05:15 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,044 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up.

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza
Old May 27, 2011, 09:17 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Where's the actual run??? I'll still go with Tims 27.
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old May 27, 2011, 09:18 AM
Joined Jan 2010
185 Posts
I thought that we were actually going to see the flight then !
I dipped out a day early on the welsh last year (Wasnt having fun !) and missed it.
Hey ho.
Is there a video of the 27.xx at all ?
ceres-syd is offline Find More Posts by ceres-syd
Old May 27, 2011, 09:37 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,507 Posts
any flight that starts with a crow through isn't an "official" f3f flight because it falls outside the rules as they pertain to "definition of an attempt". IIRC it is when the model leaves the helpers hands.

It's clearly not the same anyway, because it takes a few seconds, of your 30 seconds, to get to where a crowed model is from a hand launch. Things like diving and long climb outs are pretty clear I think.

I don't know much about the 27.45, it's a fast flight which ever way you look at it!
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old May 27, 2011, 11:25 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,044 Posts
This flight; http://mksservo.digart039.com/joinus...il.php?idNo=37 must have been a crow through or downhill as well?

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza
Old May 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined May 2010
5 Posts
Was a downhill flight, about -180m from launch.

Best regards
Stefan
Stefan H÷lbfer is offline Find More Posts by Stefan H÷lbfer
Old May 27, 2011, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
185 Posts
Still amazed that there are still no videos of any of these so-called WR's !
ceres-syd is offline Find More Posts by ceres-syd
Old May 28, 2011, 02:57 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H÷lbfer View Post
Was a downhill flight, about -180m from launch.

Best regards
Stefan

As long as you are back up at start height within 5s, it is not a downhill.
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old May 28, 2011, 04:07 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbflyer View Post
As long as you are back up at start height within 5s, it is not a downhill.
I think it would be difficult to regain 180 metres (590ft) in 5 seconds at the end of a run.
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old May 28, 2011, 05:50 PM
Let's find some thermals!
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
911 Posts
On the video claim of this thread, its lame with bad music, nice shirt though.
This is a trifecta bad music, video that doesn't deliver on claim and off subject comments on thread.
seaspb is offline Find More Posts by seaspb
Old May 29, 2011, 07:15 AM
I love living near the Bwlch!!
United Kingdom, Wales, Bridgend
Joined Aug 2009
175 Posts
It is a shame that no-one got the flight on Video, we were all just standing there with our jaws on the floor watching Inaki blitz the course. It was a combination of fantastic conditions (really nice thermal), super aggressive flying and balls the size of asteroids.
I think the aim of the video above is to act as a commemoration, not to show the run (obviously), I like it as it evokes memories of a fantastic day when I finally cracked the sub40 barrier.

It's a shame that there is disagreement on whether or not runs count as F3F records or not.
27 seconds with or without crowing through or landing the model yourself is still extremely quick, as is 29.

I was racing last weekend when a new fastest time by a British pilot was set at 30.80 seconds was set by Mark Redsell. For some reason, it did not seem as bonkers. I guess it was because it was a more flowing run that managed the speed rather than the bank and yank that Inaki did.
clayts75 is offline Find More Posts by clayts75
Last edited by clayts75; May 30, 2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: trimming the fat