HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2003, 04:39 PM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,864 Posts
Windy weather flyer

I finally found a windy weather flyer I can handle. It's a T-52 with ailerons, 48" flat wing. Powered by an Endoplasma geared 3.8:1 with a 12x8 folding prop and 7 cell GP3300 battery pack. I took it out for the first time today with this power system. The weather forcast was for 12 MPH winds gusting to 20. It must have been gusting most of the time because that wind was strong! With this power system, I was able to penetrate the wind even as the battery ran down. At full throttle it goes almost streight up. At half throttle it can still do nice rolls. At quarter throttle it's just maintaining altitude. Still glides well for landing too. I think I'll be flying this plane a lot. The only bad thing I can say about it is that at full throttle it gets small fast. Guess that just means I need to work on my throttle management skills .

It's definitely not a park flyer, and I would not recomend this setup as a first plane, but once you've mastered the basics, this is a really nice flying plane.

BTW, I didn't time the flight, but it felt like at least 10 minutes. Probably could do 20 on a day with less wind.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2003, 05:34 PM
Kearny, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2003
78 Posts
I was having problems flying my 15oz plane in wind more then 5mph. It came stock with a 280 i put in a 400 and tried flying in 10mph wind and I did much better. I got so use to flying the light plane in the wind that now I'll fly it up to 15 - 20 mph winds. The plane has enough power to cut into the wind and when I pull up heading into the wind it makes for some dramatic manuvers. I was also looking for a "WIND" plane but the more I fly in the wind the more comfortable I am. Landing always has me grinding my teeth but all has been well.
genenjr420 is offline Find More Posts by genenjr420