Old May 26, 2011, 11:54 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Discussion
Oak tree is getting a facelift!

Hi all,
I have been slowly expanding my yard to accommodate my ultra-micros and helis. This morning the big "Ugly Tree" in the middle of my yard took my Champ hostage. One thing lead to another and...............................
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2011, 12:03 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,655 Posts
I hate when the trees want to play with our planes/heli. Happened to me once with a drop glider from my plane. I did not care for the glider but want to get it back for the drop mech. Luckier brother is better fit then I am and was able to climb the tree and retreive my equipement.

Cut her down VP.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I hate when the trees want to play with our planes/heli. Happened to me once with a drop glider from my plane. I did not care for the glider but want to get it back for the drop mech. Luckier brother is better fit then I am and was able to climb the tree and retreive my equipement.

Cut her down VP.
That is a very nice White Oak, I would never cut her down no matter how"Ugly" she gets. I have a lot of trees at the perimeter of my little field. I have to learn to navigate around them. Here are 4 pictures taken at 90 degrees from the center of my field.
VP
Old May 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,165 Posts
Pretty place, Pete.

I'm a tree guy. My father had a small orchard and a nursery when I was younger (all the trees there are full-grown now), so I'm with you on not cutting her down. I do a lot of pruning even on my shade trees to keep them healthy and shading us properly.

I got my micro Kaos into one last Friday. I deserved it though - the winds were pretty rough and variable.

One of my buddies back in NJ bought a house with a dozen beautiful, mature walnuts. He wanted to fly helis, so he had them all cut down. Fortunately I was able to hook him up with one of my boyhood friends who is a woodworker, so only the scrubby parts were burned and the trunks (some of them 70' straight!) are now in chairs, tables, and other fine furniture.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 26, 2011, 01:54 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Pretty place, Pete.

I'm a tree guy. My father had a small orchard and a nursery when I was younger (all the trees there are full-grown now), so I'm with you on not cutting her down. I do a lot of pruning even on my shade trees to keep them healthy and shading us properly.

I got my micro Kaos into one last Friday. I deserved it though - the winds were pretty rough and variable.

One of my buddies back in NJ bought a house with a dozen beautiful, mature walnuts. He wanted to fly helis, so he had them all cut down. Fortunately I was able to hook him up with one of my boyhood friends who is a woodworker, so only the scrubby parts were burned and the trunks (some of them 70' straight!) are now in chairs, tables, and other fine furniture.

Andy
I am a tree hugger, just not when my plane is in one. Wow! that walnut must be worth alot of money to a woodwoorker. I would like to make a guitar out of some of that walnut.
VP
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
I built one out of black walnut and man is it heavy but it sounds really good tho
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:36 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
I built one out of black walnut and man is it heavy but it sounds really good tho
I have some Ipe, man is that some heavy wood!

VP
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
How big the oak tree.
super2012 is offline Find More Posts by super2012
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:04 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super2012 View Post
How big the oak tree.
There are pictures of it in the first post.

VP
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:52 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Hi all,
I have been slowly expanding my yard to accommodate my ultra-micros and helis. This morning the big "Ugly Tree" in the middle of my yard took my Champ hostage. One thing lead to another and...............................
VP
Looks like such a clever way to store your planes. Just hang them by the prop from your nearest tree. Cool.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch