SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jbc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:48 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing De Havilland Mosquito by HC Hobby

PRO's

- Easy build
- EPO foam
- Stock power system is good and can run 3S or 4S
- Excellent flight characteristics
- Good size battery bay
- Fit and finish is good, overall look is good

Cons

- Stock props look scale but perform very poorly
- Elevator travel and CG location combination could take quite a few flights to remove pitchiness
- Be sure to check prop nut tightness if you set motors up for counter rotation

The HC Hobby Mossie is a great plane! I got this from HobbyKing and there's very little criticism I can give this model apart from the crappy stock props which I would recommend not even installing as they're weak, flex and pitch all provide for a very lacklustre flight...even on 4S.

For those looking at using both 4S and 3S batteries on this plane then I would suggest you order some Master Airscrew 9x7x3 props when you order your model. If you only have plans for using 3S then get the MAS 10x7x3 props. This will still leave your DT 930KV motors and 30 ESC's within their limit and still provide you with good all round performance.

The other thing I noticed is the pitch sensitivity. She seems to need extremely little travel during flight but then you need quite alot for a good flare on landing and this is still with the correct CG setting. All I can say is start with the factory rec CG and then tune it to suit your flying style.

I ended up leaving the nose weight in mine and run it on a 4S 2650 20C battery which gives me around 5mins of mixed flying. MAS props with 3S is fine for scale, relaxed flying and for those who want more just simply pop in a 4S battery and away you go....VERY

Overall the plane was a pleasure to build and flew excellent! Extremely stable with a very slow and predictable stall speed, good roll rate and she needs to be flown in to land with a little power...just like a real warbird If you do setup the props for counter rotation, just be sure check and maybe even use a little loctite on the clockwise rotating prop nut.

Overall this plane is a sure fire winner and a keeper and should provide many hours of fun flying and wow your mates down the field!

Mods

The mods I did aren't necessary for flight but can help turn an already excellent Mossie just a little better

The thread for it is here with a great bunch of guys who are all very helpful, be sure to drop in and say hi

Upgraded the elevator servo to a larger 14G metal gear
Installed a separate 5-7.5Amp BEC I do this to all my models that run 4S or higher and/or are over 1kg in weight
Installed Master Airscrew (MAS) 9x7x3 props
After 20 flights I decided to upgrade to HKD312 electric retracts note this wasn't necessary as the stock units were fine, I just had some lying around and like a bit of a challenge

Power Figures

Stock Props on 3S: PEAK/STATIC 42A, 490W settled to 36A, 420W
MAS 9x7x3 on 3S: PEAK/STATIC 45.4A, 526W settled to 41A, 470W
MAS 9x7x3 on 4S: PEAK/STATIC 55A, 750W settled to 50A, 625W

Detailed open box review and build tips

HobbyKing MOSQUITO Pt1 Detailed open box & Build tips (by HC Hobby) (14 min 35 sec)

Part 2 with Flight review, Electric Retract upgrade & bonus bloopers

Hobbyking MOSQUITO Pt2 Flight review, Retract upgrade + bloopers (by HC Hobby) (14 min 22 sec)
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Last edited by jbc; May 27, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:08 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Great info. Thanks! Just ordered mine from Hobby King Germany. The Master Airscrew 9x7x3 seem to be as rare as rocking horse shite at the moment though.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:17 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
LOL that's because everyone who bought this plane has bought them and anyone buying this plane wants them goodluck with yours, not that you'll need it...she's a beauty
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:47 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
LOL that's because everyone who bought this plane has bought them and anyone buying this plane wants them goodluck with yours, not that you'll need it...she's a beauty
Sure is a beauty. And to think I almost ordered the HK P-38 instead. Luckily I saw the Mossie and watched your Youtube review.

Awesome plane at an awesome price. We truly have entered the golden age of RC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:53 PM
LE MANS, France
Joined Oct 2010
249 Posts
Hi,
it seems that HC HOBBY have closed...
All sales rep' , ingenners and workers have left their boss...
I try to have more informations about it...
Keep in touch!
HLC SHOP is offline Find More Posts by HLC SHOP
Old Jun 09, 2011, 09:23 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC SHOP View Post
Hi,
it seems that HC HOBBY have closed...
All sales rep' , ingenners and workers have left their boss...
I try to have more informations about it...
Keep in touch!
Thanks for the update, yes keep us posted as to what happens. I hope they still continue to make this model, she's such a nice flying plane.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Mossie Propeller

Hi JBC,

Still haven't the time to fly the mosquito... will update later.

Regarding your video (that by the way was the key to my buying decision) you mention the Counter-Rotating (CR) propellers.

In fact, the package from Hobbyking includes 2 sets of CR and CW (clock-Wise) propellers. So I believe we should use both.

After some research, I found that from the pilot position (cockpit view) the left motor turns CW and the right motor turns CR, this means the motors rotate to inside.

Following your suggestion, I bought 2 propellers MAS 9x7x3: One CR other CW.

(Y)
Pedro
Pedro GP is offline Find More Posts by Pedro GP
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:37 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Good choice, the stock props really are quite crap and you shouldn't even bother with them. You'll be much happier with the MAS props
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2006
7 Posts
undercarriage doors

Hi
On the hk mosquito the door opening drives are on top of a minservo.
The arm on mine has snapped.
HL are not replying does anyone know where you can get a replacement or ideas for change ?
parkinson40 is offline Find More Posts by parkinson40
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
cool
Hoopsta17_99 is offline Find More Posts by Hoopsta17_99
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinson40 View Post
Hi
On the hk mosquito the door opening drives are on top of a minservo.
The arm on mine has snapped.
HL are not replying does anyone know where you can get a replacement or ideas for change ?
Same thing happened to mine, not sure where exactly yours snapped but I simply super glued one of mine back on and on the other one I used a cut down servo arm.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:21 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
Did you use the gear doors servos and whatever timer is running them with the HK electric retracts?
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old May 08, 2012, 04:14 AM
Builds better than he flies
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined May 2012
129 Posts
I bought one of these fantastic looking models from Ready2Fly last year and can't wait to fly it.

I've also been reading the posts on this thread regarding the airscrews and have found the MAS 10x7x3 (right and left) available here: Propellers (which I have also just ordered) and will replace the stock props as soon as these babies arrive (I've ordered two-pair, just to be on the safe side).

I am new to flying twin scale models so have a question regarding the fitting of the props; (and apologies in advance for the noobiness of this question), but which propellers (right/left) go onto which motors? (if the motor is turing to the left, is that the left-hand-wound propeller?)
CodeJock is offline Find More Posts by CodeJock
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Hi I have this model and had a servo arm break, the one that controls the stock retract. For the life of me I can't source an arm that fits this particular servo. Any suggestions? Is there another kind of suitable servo that would drop in its place?

Excuse the noob style query but I like to fly these things, I'm just not much of a modeler!
Surreal99 is offline Find More Posts by Surreal99
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:29 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal99 View Post
Hi I have this model and had a servo arm break, the one that controls the stock retract. For the life of me I can't source an arm that fits this particular servo. Any suggestions? Is there another kind of suitable servo that would drop in its place?

Excuse the noob style query but I like to fly these things, I'm just not much of a modeler!
I think on of the fms warbirds uses the same servo. Search the 'not the fms misquito' thread for full details.
RCG Plus Member