HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2011, 07:51 PM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Discussion
AZ shooter not fit to stand trial...what do you think?

I admit when everything 1st went down my initial thoughts were of some right wing anti-gov't gun nut. My opinion quickly changed when the facts started coming out but I was wrong and I apologize for that! It turns out he truely is just a nut. You think the inside of a mental institution is a good enough punishiment for this ? My wife wondered and its a good question, "I wonder what Giffords would want?" Anybody know her capital punishment stance? I know she's liberal but I wonder if she was against it if her opinion has changed.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Old May 25, 2011, 07:55 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
No doubt he is crazy a a loon. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be locked up forever. Probably more of a reason to put him away.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old May 25, 2011, 08:52 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
phsyc ward for the rest of his life. We will be footing the bill till the day he dies ... but what other option is there?
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old May 25, 2011, 08:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
phsyc ward for the rest of his life. We will be footing the bill till the day he dies ... but what other option is there?
You're right, there really is no other option. Hinkley has been gone forever now I guess he's gonna go down that route. I would like to hear his motivations though even if they're twisted, crazy, and full of conspiracy. It kind of interests me in a morbid way. They let Manson speak and Dolmer, wonder if you'll ever see an interview with this loon.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
The only good to come out of this is perhaps a better understanding and awareness of mental illness ... though it can be a slippery slope as people are now going to want to be pro-active in treating those that aren't "right in the mind".
Old May 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
With proper treatment he can recover and then we can put the needle in his arm.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old May 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
The only good to come out of this is perhaps a better understanding and awareness of mental illness ... though it can be a slippery slope as people are now going to want to be pro-active in treating those that aren't "right in the mind".
The only way for this to never happen again in "this" country with the gun laws as they are is to stop people who where diagnosed with mental illness from buying a gun. However, how do you stop those who have not been diagnosed? Impossible! Where do you begin and end? As you said it's a slippery slope indeed.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl View Post
The only way for this to never happen again in "this" country with the gun laws as they are is to stop people who where diagnosed with mental illness from buying a gun. However, how do you stop those who have not been diagnosed? Impossible! Where do you begin and end? As you said it's a slippery slope indeed.
people with diagnosed mental illnesses can't buy guns ... at least not legally. The problem is diagnosing people against their will ... it falls onto familly and friends to get them treated.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:13 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
people with diagnosed mental illnesses can't buy guns ... at least not legally. The problem is diagnosing people against their will ... it falls onto familly and friends to get them treated.
My bad you are right on both accounts should have worded my statement better.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:16 PM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
The question that sticks most in my mind, is why his parents never sought help? A parent should know when there's something not right with their children.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:08 PM
trying to miss the ground
United States, ID, Rigby
Joined Oct 2008
160 Posts
Regardless of his mental state, he has proven himself to be a danger to society. As long as he is a danger to society, then he should be locked up. As far as I'm concerned, no sane human being can commit murder anyway.
blademaker22 is offline Find More Posts by blademaker22
Old May 25, 2011, 10:17 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,106 Posts
If he was sane enough to plan, and execute, then he is sane enough to stand trial.
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old May 25, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Reynolds View Post
If he was sane enough to plan, and execute, then he is sane enough to stand trial.
That's a good point!
Old May 25, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl View Post
That's a good point!
planning something as simple as going somewhere and shooting it up doesn't take a rational mind.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:27 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
I feel sorry for insane people and think we should do all we can to help them.... Once they kill someone then the situation is different and I have much less sympathy.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious