SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2011, 07:12 PM
N45W090
Joined Jun 2007
21 Posts
Discussion
Delta Kite Question

Friends,

I am new to vector kites. I'm working on my first one, a delta. I have several including a beautiful 12' Hawaiian Delta that I plan to vectorize. I'm going to start out a little smaller though. A question I have about single line deltas in particular is what do you do with the keel? I hate to cut it completely off until I am confident I've got a workable vector unit. Can you just roll it tightly up and maybe tape it to the 'belly' of the kite? Or, how about rolling it up in to a small split tube?

I really like this vector idea. I've done a lot of electric flat foamies, but this is a great idea. Glad I found you guys.

Parker
Parkerflyr is offline Find More Posts by Parkerflyr
Last edited by Parkerflyr; May 26, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2011, 05:27 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,452 Posts
I cut my keels completely off but rolling it up and taping it to the bottom sounds like a good idea. You'll need to tape the bottom anyway to prevent wear and tear from landings.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old May 27, 2011, 06:41 PM
N45W090
Joined Jun 2007
21 Posts
Thanks slebetman!

I will follow your suggestion, at least until I get the hang of this thing. I just don't want to trash a perfectly good kite if I don't get the vector gimbal thing right. Thanks again.

Parker
Pressing on.
Parkerflyr is offline Find More Posts by Parkerflyr
Old May 27, 2011, 10:38 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,123 Posts
My original vector sport kite was remarkably tolerant to drag and junk, such as oversize seams and holes in the fabric and such.
Roll/tape sounds totally fine till you're sure.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old May 28, 2011, 12:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
153 Posts
hi Parkflyer

another possibility is to convert the complete delta, flying the inner sail side at the outside. so you have your keel in the luv of the wind and can tape/roll it beside your vector unit.

build a nice rc-delta-kite and offer fotos and videos
Vectorflyer is offline Find More Posts by Vectorflyer