HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2011, 05:34 PM
Parkesflyer
United Kingdom, Ryde
Joined May 2006
789 Posts
Careful!
My advice - avoid buying a Hitec radio in the UK for the moment

I am glad that the Aurora transmitter wasnt expensive as its going to lie on my bench useless for a while it seems. I broke it after less than 5 months use - my fault I tried to plug in a charged Lipo when I wasnt wearing my glasses and got it the wrong way round - there was a hiss and the smell of burnt out components - the system still worked when I plugged it in correctly on the field so its pretty tough. . Now the Tx battery discharges very fast and the NiMH cells wont charge from the charger. I must have done some damage. Ive owned up that its not a warranty repair, it was my fault and shoudl be charged.

My disappointment isnt in the kit but the support services. 40 years of Futaba use taught me about reliable repair - the systems were never out of action for more than 2 weekends when they did get damaged.

Hitec has a new uk distributor and they wont repair old units. The old distributor wont repair any Hitec gear, so here I am high and dry. saving up for a new Futaba system - why was I tempted to change manufacturer after 40+ years of reliable performance and service.

Beware if you are in the uk and thinking of buying a new system, performance and clever programs are only a part of the package. Reliable service repair is just as important when flying time is rationed by work and family commitments.

Oh yes Ive contacted Hitec but have had no reply - yet.

Richard
RJPIoW is offline Find More Posts by RJPIoW
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 05:43 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPIoW View Post
I am glad that the Aurora transmitter wasnt expensive as its going to lie on my bench useless for a while it seems. I broke it after less than 5 months use - my fault I tried to plug in a charged Lipo when I wasnt wearing my glasses and got it the wrong way round - there was a hiss and the smell of burnt out components - the system still worked when I plugged it in correctly on the field so its pretty tough. . Now the Tx battery discharges very fast and the NiMH cells wont charge from the charger. I must have done some damage. Ive owned up that its not a warranty repair, it was my fault and shoudl be charged.

My disappointment isnt in the kit but the support services. 40 years of Futaba use taught me about reliable repair - the systems were never out of action for more than 2 weekends when they did get damaged.

Hitec has a new uk distributor and they wont repair old units. The old distributor wont repair any Hitec gear, so here I am high and dry. saving up for a new Futaba system - why was I tempted to change manufacturer after 40+ years of reliable performance and service.

Beware if you are in the uk and thinking of buying a new system, performance and clever programs are only a part of the package. Reliable service repair is just as important when flying time is rationed by work and family commitments.

Oh yes Ive contacted Hitec but have had no reply - yet.

Richard
Richard,

While I can't speak to Hitec in the UK, Hitec USA is legendary.

Perhaps you can ship to Hitec USA for repair? I'm sure relatively inexpensive parcel-post can be had for under 15L. Just be sure to pack it VERY well...
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 25, 2011, 08:36 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Beware if you are in the uk and thinking of buying a new system, performance and clever programs are only a part of the package. Reliable service repair is just as important when flying time is rationed by work and family commitments. Oh yes Ive contacted Hitec but have had no reply - yet.
Richard
Perhaps not nearly as bad nor expensive as it looks:

Hitec Aurora - Reverse Polarity TX Battery Fix

ex "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:21 AM
Joined Jun 2008
93 Posts
So does that mean that we have no warranty or service on any hitec gear purchased before they changed distributors?
You could maybe try hitec in germany, at least postage would be less if they'll repair it.
Or Mike Ridley might be able to it says repairs to all makes on his web site.
krazy2 is offline Find More Posts by krazy2
Old May 26, 2011, 03:34 AM
Parkesflyer
United Kingdom, Ryde
Joined May 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy2 View Post
So does that mean that we have no warranty or service on any hitec gear purchased before they changed distributors?
You could maybe try hitec in germany, at least postage would be less if they'll repair it.
Or Mike Ridley might be able to it says repairs to all makes on his web site.
I will let you make your own mind up

This is the email reply I got from the new distributor when I asked for service repair help - it reads:

Dear Richard.

Thank you for your enquiry.

You need to return this to Amerang as they are still providing warranty/service for items they have sold in the last 12 months, their address details should be in the instructions or on the radio box.

We have taken over Hitec distribution from May this year and will provide warranty service for items sold from this point.

and so I Emailed the old distributor and theyre reply reads:

Subject: RE: Aurora9 transmitter damaged

Dear Richard
We can no longer assist in Hitec repairs as the UK distributors are now Perkins Distribution

Regards

Not at all helpfull either of them

Richard
Old May 26, 2011, 08:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
49 Posts
Seems like a Catch-22. Maybe you could get the new distributor on the phone and discuss it in person. Let him know you are not trying to get warranty work done, just need your radio repaired and are willing to pay.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
rcairflr is offline Find More Posts by rcairflr
Old May 26, 2011, 10:42 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Could it be possible that this is just a misunderstanding?

The old distributor says they can't help with repair work which is probably accurate as they are only handling old warranty issues.

The new distributor says they only provide warranty support for new sales which may also be true, but is not what you are asking for.

I would have thought that the new distributor should have no problem performing repair work outside warranty regardless of the age of the radio.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old May 26, 2011, 02:31 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Hitec should look for a third distributor.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 27, 2011, 06:00 AM
Parkesflyer
United Kingdom, Ryde
Joined May 2006
789 Posts
Alan T's detailed reply above was most helpful and Ive dispatched the unit to Mike Ridley to see if he can get me out of this mess.

Still very disappointing I thought RC suppliers were pretty good at repair, it must be a worthwhile element with all the opportunities there are for unplanned landings !.

Richard
Old May 29, 2011, 06:52 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2004
129 Posts
Just got my Futaba 6XEA back from Mike. Excellent service, and very good turnaround time.

Recomended.

Paul
Wellington is offline Find More Posts by Wellington
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:07 AM
Parkesflyer
United Kingdom, Ryde
Joined May 2006
789 Posts
RF Module supply voltage

Can anyone tell me what the voltage should be that powers the R.F module in the transmitter ?

Richard
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:59 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,658 Posts
7.2V 6NiMh or 2Lipo
It is internally regulated to 5V, the range should be somewhere in the 6.5-9V ballpark.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:07 PM
Parkesflyer
United Kingdom, Ryde
Joined May 2006
789 Posts
Mike Ridley saved the day.

Recommend radiomodelworkshop.co.uk - sorted my Hitec out ok.

I get the impression that distributors dont do compnent level repairs just swop out boards. Ive been a PC delaer and its the same story there.

However I am now totally relaxed because I know Mike can sort any future problems quickly and at reasonable cost - recomend him to all uk Hitec users.

Im thinking of changing the Tx battery plug, it was too easy with poor eyesight to get the polarity wrong when I was flying.

Still like the Aurora unit just think Hitec should work on their UK product support.

Richard
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:47 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,965 Posts
Some of us do try to go to component level as Mike will testify (he knows me), but due to lack of spares or lack of info, it is easier and quicker to replace the pcb.
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Recommend radiomodelworkshop.co.uk - sorted my Hitec out ok. I get the impression that distributors dont do compnent level repairs just swop out boards. Ive been a PC delaer and its the same story there. However I am now totally relaxed because I know Mike can sort any future problems quickly and at reasonable cost - recomend him to all uk Hitec users. Im thinking of changing the Tx battery plug, it was too easy with poor eyesight to get the polarity wrong when I was flying. Still like the Aurora unit just think Hitec should work on their UK product support.
Richard
Aurora 9 - Lipo & Field Charging. includes Fast Charge Aurora, Eclipse 7, Flash 4&5, Laser, Optic 6, Prism 7 etc.
Refer picture of Lipo, recently addition, installed in an Aurora and suggested wiring for ease of use.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.