HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:03 AM
MB326 Dino Driver
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2006
80 Posts
I can't stop watching that Vid,.. and now a new one,. fantastic,..Thanks guys,... Well I have decided i would like to give this Correx building a crack,.. and although not having deal with Correx before, I am really wanting to design and build a Macchi MB326,.. or Impala, as the SA's know it,... so if anyone has any tips / tricks, on wher i should put fold lines etc,.. or even if they know of a thread of basic design tecniques,.. that would be helpfull,.. after watching the build vids, i am assuming it's not just cut out every part and fuse sides, etc,.. it has more structural integrity to actually fold the fuse?? my thinking is it should be a simplet box fuse lage, with a fairly strait forward wing shape,.... however if you guys think it's too ambitious,. then happy for that feedback aswell,...

Jeremy
Macchi326Driver is offline Find More Posts by Macchi326Driver
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:17 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,041 Posts
Jeremy
I always start the design with a 3 view drawing that has the fuselage cross sections, the wings and tail feathers are really easy to copy, if you can scale up a drawing. However, getting the correx to wrap around a complex fuselage shape can be a real bugger.

if you are ok with the MB339 being a boxy, straight sided fuselage, you might want to start with a mustang type fuselage sheet cut out from my plans, round off the top and sides as one piece, then cut the formers out of correx, And with some trial and error on the formers, you should be able to get the thing to "flesh out"

post some pics and we can work thru it
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined May 2004
3,041 Posts
or buy an EPP MB339 jet from Anton.....they fly really well
http://www.abmodels.co.za/Joomla_1_5...lope&Itemid=48
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle View Post
or buy an EPP MB339 jet from Anton.....they fly really well
Knowing how FB's mind works.....
He's gonna buy one himself!

It starts off with a bit of emotional connection.
Then,
A bit of research...
and before you know it.....
There'll be one flying Maitlands!
I also know ,
FB's left 80% of his quiver on the slopes of Hermanus!
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Last edited by johannlochner; Nov 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: J, who's crystal ball gazing....
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined May 2004
3,041 Posts
Hehe. Johann, you have me pegged. The Correx animals are bouncing around in my head big time. And i have some Black Correx to experiment with, and my hangar has been nearly emptied of aeries

....watch this space!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
MB326 Dino Driver
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2006
80 Posts
FB, that's exactly what I was thinking for my MB 326,.. Flat sides very similar in build to your Mustang, nice and easy to build,..was not thinking of many complex curves,.. I am a big believer in the K.I.S.S principle
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle View Post
Jeremy
I always start the design with a 3 view drawing that has the fuselage cross sections, the wings and tail feathers are really easy to copy, if you can scale up a drawing. However, getting the correx to wrap around a complex fuselage shape can be a real bugger.

if you are ok with the MB339 being a boxy, straight sided fuselage, you might want to start with a mustang type fuselage sheet cut out from my plans, round off the top and sides as one piece, then cut the formers out of correx, And with some trial and error on the formers, you should be able to get the thing to "flesh out"

post some pics and we can work thru it
thats a cool plane! it can definatly be done in coro. if I were to build it, I would make the fuse without the top section and then make a vacumed formed canopy/top section, the A-10 fuse would also be a good place to start, it has some simularities
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:31 AM
MB326 Dino Driver
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2006
80 Posts
The 339 is nice,.. however it is the MB 326H which is the one I really want to do,.. I worked on these aircraft here and love them to bits,.. so to get a set of plans drawn would mean a lot,.. and to actually get one flying,..seeing it off the slope would be fantastic!!,... here is a 3 view of the 326,... and The colour scheme which I am intending on doing,..
Jeremy
Last edited by Macchi326Driver; Nov 29, 2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined May 2004
3,041 Posts
Jeremy
I sms'd Sean and Bakkie this morning, told them I was "doodling" in autocad, and looking at the A-10 fuselage shape ( good idea Andy)

they have already arranged a shipment of white correx to my house,

so now I am neglecting work at FMC and forging ahead with plans for a Correx Impala (MB326)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:21 AM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,367 Posts
Just got word from Sean that correx has been delivered! I also left my beer keg there with 30liter's of South Africa's best!

What we gonna run out of first beer or Correx???
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bakkie; Nov 29, 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I'm in the mood!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,367 Posts
Tomcatdriver14

What's the difference between MB326 and MB339?
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:41 PM
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
13 ?????
EATHIS is offline Find More Posts by EATHIS
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined May 2004
3,041 Posts
Good one Barry. ;-)
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:37 AM
MB326 Dino Driver
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2006
80 Posts
yeah well 13 is a good answer,..ill pay that!

the 326 was designed around the 1960's,.. and thats when we got them here in Australia,.,.. the 339, were a later refinment of the 326, with different tip tanks, and different chaped nose,... in fact they were a contender to replace our Aussie Macchis there for a while,.. but the 326,.. to me,.. looks more gracefull,..I may be biased,.. thats the aircraft I did most of my career on,... ther 326, is just better looking to me!

FB,. Serious,.. a 326 (impala) plan!!,.. mate you rock!!!!!... cant wait to build one!!!!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:47 AM
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
I`ll give it to Beagle he can build anything!( corro planes that is)
EATHIS is offline Find More Posts by EATHIS