HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
What goes up must come down
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Aug 2009
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
Aimrah2000, I simply kept the centre section of the wing top surface as part of the fuselage (In practice I put the wing doubler inside rather than on top of the main wing skin so as to make space for the matching part that is attached to the fuse). I then faired this on top using a triangle of 2mm corex from the thickest part of the wing to the trailing edge (I slit the inside flutes and trimmed to shape once glued on). This has the added benefit of ensuring that the wing is always properly centered. Finally, I melted some holes at the back for the elastic bands to go through. The attached pics may explain better than words.
Nice job!!
aimrah2000 is offline Find More Posts by aimrah2000
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
Always pushing the boundries
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Hi fb

Yr spitfire is really looking great. Have you posted any plans yet? I am eager to try one.

It looks as if the wings are very difficult though!?
Wentzel
wcoetzer is offline Find More Posts by wcoetzer
Old May 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,520 Posts
Wentzel, FB is in the Kalahari till Thursday, I'm sure he'll reply when he gets back.....but naa, the wing is not that bad.
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old May 30, 2012, 08:49 PM
Andrew
Joined Feb 2011
425 Posts
ES Brilliant Spitfire. Well done. FB really has some competition.....
scurve is offline Find More Posts by scurve
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Photos
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:06 AM
Andrew
Joined Feb 2011
425 Posts
[QUOTE=Extreme sport
Hi ES. Im interested in how you painted the Spitty. Did you use a primer and could you elaborate on your application of the color scheme.
scurve is offline Find More Posts by scurve
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Photos
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:17 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Scurve, I did not use paint - just the std Maizey's econo vinyl (P59 and P73). I considered painting, but getting some of the Spitty characteristics right resulted in one or two additional seams and joints in the correx that look fine under vinyl, but would have needed FB's level of skill to look smooth when painted. The only colour that Maizeys do not have anything close to is the sky blue for the underside...but apparently later spits used light grey anyway... which Maizey's has. I tried a silvery-grey/blue from their '200' range, but would suggest just using light grey...these are S.P.A.D.S after all.

Vinyl goes around the curves quite well as each piece of the camouflage is not too big...bit of heat gun treatment for the most curved panels does the trick.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:54 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,012 Posts
EX-Sports...your Spitty looks very good, nice work

Wentzel, the elliptical wing was much easier to fold than I thought.....the LE has a straight section about two thirds of the span, which allows for the conventional "fold line". The top side is trimmed to match the bottom side after "folding". Then you just apply hot glue to the entire rounded joint line, just like you would close-up a Mig wing tip...
Flying Beagle is online now Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined May 2004
3,012 Posts
Spitfire plans finished and posted on page 1

next week, I should be able to get a set of plans plotted for local use
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:32 PM
Always pushing the boundries
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Hi FB

Thank you very much for posting the plans. I have started the c stan this weekend. Spitfire will definately be next.

A question about flying the mig. It does not seem to have a good invertd flight -great lift when right side up. Did you also find that? Is there a way of making the lower section of wing less under camber?

Wentzel
wcoetzer is offline Find More Posts by wcoetzer
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
872 Posts
Here is an alternative construction method.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined May 2004
3,012 Posts
W
I have experimented w folding a few different air foils. With my first Corrostang wing, I let the LE come up a bit off the table during the fold, which gave me a bit of a semi-symmetrical wing section. From flat field e-prop flying experience, I thought this was going to be better, but that wing didn't generate much lift. So I built my current CorroStang wing with a flat bottom section by keeping the LE tight to the table during folding. I have also tried thinner spars hoping for a quicker sloper, results were maybe a marginal speed increase. But again not as much lift with this airfoil, so I couldn't gain as much altitude, which allows for more speed in a dive from higher up. These Correx planes will never penetrate like a glass ship, but they are fun to thrash around the sky and up close. My CorroSpit wing is the closest to the Mig section and I think it flies the best. I have altered the CorroStang plans with a wider wingspan and fixed a couple other minor flaws in the plans, will post an update later this week.

RN. I do like your construction, but the simplicity of the standard fold is hard to beat.
How many of those correx ribbed wings have you built ? Slope or Elec ? Any trials with different sections ?
Last edited by Flying Beagle; Jun 04, 2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined May 2004
3,012 Posts
CorrtHog sampler...build is complete...just need to roganiez miy fotos
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined May 2004
3,012 Posts
A-10 CorrtHog

ready for maiden

wingspan
1.47 m
58 inch

AUW
1130 grams
40 oz
Last edited by Flying Beagle; Jun 10, 2012 at 01:51 AM.