SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:54 AM
FREEdom!!
Joined Feb 2006
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
First I'd like to thank all those who've helped me out with my CC issues. I did some more experimenting tonight and may have come across something:
Yes, my CC board went whacky on me with the Tricopter in flight. Yes I couldn't re-fly the tricopter after the crash. Yes, I installed the CC board on my quad and the quad was whacky too.

Tonight I deleted the GCS from my computer and reinstalled version 20110608. I cleared the CC board, carefully followed the firmware loading procedures, and both tried to reinstall my quad setup as well as create from new. What I did different this time was look at the flight data tab on the GCS and noticed the artificial horizon was spinning...like it was in a constant roll. I experimented with the settings and think I found something.

As part of mounting the CC on my quad and had to mount it 45 degrees CCW from actual forward (mounting straight forward wasn't possible because of the lightening holes in my frame where at (and bigger than) the CC mount holes. In the GCS I set my yaw attitude at -45 to compensate. This made my controls work properly, but makes the controller think its in a constant roll. When I set the yaw attitude to 0 it stops spinning.

I reconfigured the quad to + configuration to match the CC direction and...it flew. No more wild gyrations. I don't know if this is something to do with my CC still or perhaps a bug in the firmware. Can someone using the same firmware version try adjusting the GCS yaw attitude from 0 to see if the flight data AHI starts spinning? The CC needs to be connected to the GCS for the AHI to start spinning. If so, then maybe its a firmware thing, if not then maybe my controller is having some issues.

Since I had stable flight in Quad + configuration I'm going to move the CC back over to my tri and try it again. Perhaps the weirdness I had was some garbage that got into the programming and just needed to be cleared and reloaded to fix it. I never tried reloading firmware in the tri. I didn't try the reload until it was already in my Quad X and exhibited the gyrations on lift off.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing what results others get with this firmware and a yaw offset.
Van, sounds like a bug in the firmware.

Glad you got it working, but in the future if you have problems you are probably best served by sending me an email. If your location is accurate, then you can even head over to my house to get some personal support.
Buzz_Lightyear is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Lightyear
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,741 Posts
Well Done! It looks like a stable platform with good yaw response.
Innov8tive is offline Find More Posts by Innov8tive
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:03 AM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,473 Posts
Matt
That's great. Looks like it handles very well. I'm going to convert the Y-4 to a Y-6 as I await the next batch of CC boards.
What motors and props are you using?
Neal
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:36 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Lightyear View Post
Van, sounds like a bug in the firmware.

Glad you got it working, but in the future if you have problems you are probably best served by sending me an email. If your location is accurate, then you can even head over to my house to get some personal support.
Well heck...why didn't you tell me that before? I'll PM you...thanks.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:40 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobert View Post
Matt
That's great. Looks like it handles very well. I'm going to convert the Y-4 to a Y-6 as I await the next batch of CC boards.
What motors and props are you using?
Neal
You wont regret it. Guys who never flew a Y6 have NO idea what they are missing. I doubt you will ever convert back to a Y4 thats for sure.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Dec 2010
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
You wont regret it. Guys who never flew a Y6 have NO idea what they are missing. I doubt you will ever convert back to a Y4 thats for sure.
hmm....ive been trying to decide what to do next...i like the way y-6 looks....hmm...
hawaiitaco is offline Find More Posts by hawaiitaco
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:50 PM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Well heck...why didn't you tell me that before?
LOL, yeah.

I have sent you a new board already, I will get this back from Fedex.
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:56 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers View Post
LOL, yeah.

I have sent you a new board already, I will get this back from Fedex.
Thanks Dankers. I sent you a PM in case you haven't run back to FedEx yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:59 PM
North Sweden
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
Anyone got a new CC board to sell ? Can pay 150$ with shipping.

Why not ?
cyberdog is offline Find More Posts by cyberdog
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
guys i feel like its almost impossible to get hands on a board!
i understand its a budget problem that u cant order a big amount of cards
i'll be glad to pay in advance to get a board and I'm pretty sure many guys here is to
i can wait even a month but i know for sure that i will get my board. but i been waiting two months now with no luck so far! please consider this idea
MJDJ2003 is offline Find More Posts by MJDJ2003
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:50 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
My latest CC update.

Thanks to inputs from others here I've made a significant step forward with my CC boards 'weirdness'. A recap:
When changing the yaw attitude offset it does start the GCS' artificial horizon spinning. I changed the yaw, saved, calibrated, saved, and disconnected the CC from the GCS. When I reconnected the AHI was no longer spinning...one problem solved.
I had to mount my CC board 45 degrees CCW from the front of my Quad X so I set the Yaw offset to -45. Even though the AHI was no longer spinning, the quad still went into gyrations when it would rise off the ground. I then set the Yaw offset to 45 degrees saved, calibrated, disconnect, reconnect, all looked good. Went to fly it and...Woo-Hoo...it finally flew normally...off the default PIDs. Wow, a week of problems, questions, answers, trials, tests, and now things are looking up. Now I need to do some flight tests to see if things are back to normal for me. I do appreciate everyone's help and, fingers crossed, all is good and I've gained a bunch of 'learned' experiences to help share with others. This group has been a real help and I sure appreciate it. Thanks all....
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:05 PM
Joined May 2011
425 Posts
Quote:
My latest CC update.
I had to mount my CC board 45 degrees CCW from the front of my Quad X so I set the Yaw offset to -45. Even though the AHI was no longer spinning, the quad still went into gyrations when it would rise off the ground. I then set the Yaw offset to 45 degrees saved, calibrated, disconnect, reconnect, all looked good. Went to fly it and...Woo-Hoo...
Yeah we could do with a graphic indicating the signs of those rotations. Heck, I wrote the code and I don't even remember if the rotation indicates which way you rotated the board, or which way to rotate the sensors (i.e. the inverse).

Whenever I change that I ALWAYS watch it carefully on the PFD while moving it. What you should have seen with -45 was as you pitch it the roll axis changed.

FWIW I've had some fun crashes with a fixed wing that I had to mount at 90 degrees and got the sign wrong. That essentially reverses pitch :-D Not the best take off.
peabody124 is offline Find More Posts by peabody124
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:26 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody124 View Post
Yeah we could do with a graphic indicating the signs of those rotations. Heck, I wrote the code and I don't even remember if the rotation indicates which way you rotated the board, or which way to rotate the sensors (i.e. the inverse).

Whenever I change that I ALWAYS watch it carefully on the PFD while moving it. What you should have seen with -45 was as you pitch it the roll axis changed.

FWIW I've had some fun crashes with a fixed wing that I had to mount at 90 degrees and got the sign wrong. That essentially reverses pitch :-D Not the best take off.
Yes, that would be nice. Even a little statement on the yaw offset of: 'If mounted CCW from forward use + degrees, if CW us - degrees' or something like that.

What I found odd was the pitch and roll controlled was the same with the offset at both - and +. I always checked for forward pitch lifted the back of the quad, rear pitch lifted the front, right roll lifted the left side, and left roll lifted the right side. I was so sure the -45 offset was correct as the movements were correct, but it wouldn't fly. When I changed to +45 (just to see what happened) I was surprised the controls remained correct AND also hovered under control. That still confuses me, but hey, if it works then don't worry about it.

For S&Gs I tried setting the GCS for a 180 degree yaw offset...like if wanting to fly a tricopter backwards. It looked like the offset can only be a two digit number so I guess backwards flying direction would/will need a little physical manipulation to work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined May 2011
425 Posts
Ahh yes that got me too, but then when you think about it, it isn't surprising.

When it's not moving the controls for left basically says "speed up the motor plugged into S1 and S2." That's the same no matter how the board is rotated.

You MUST check how it moves on PFD to confirm it.
peabody124 is offline Find More Posts by peabody124
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:25 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,108 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that would be nice. Even a little statement on the yaw offset of: 'If mounted CCW from forward use + degrees, if CW us - degrees' or something like that.

What I found odd was the pitch and roll controlled was the same with the offset at both - and +. I always checked for forward pitch lifted the back of the quad, rear pitch lifted the front, right roll lifted the left side, and left roll lifted the right side. I was so sure the -45 offset was correct as the movements were correct, but it wouldn't fly. When I changed to +45 (just to see what happened) I was surprised the controls remained correct AND also hovered under control. That still confuses me, but hey, if it works then don't worry about it.

For S&Gs I tried setting the GCS for a 180 degree yaw offset...like if wanting to fly a tricopter backwards. It looked like the offset can only be a two digit number so I guess backwards flying direction would/will need a little physical manipulation to work.
When u 1st described your problem you prolly should have mentioned you mounted the board off 45. I think the experts would have figured out much faster that your problem was there. Not sure if your mounting it that way cus of the way the holes are drilled or maybe you dont have room to mount it not angled. The reason I bring it up is I mount my CC boards with Zeal Gel tape. It works awesome and is easier than standoffs. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ng-Gel-1-Sheet

Also you can reuse it. I just use 2-way double stick tape to reuse it over and over. I use it on all my gyros on my helis too.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread