HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:31 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,866 Posts
Tony might be annoyed but I'm going to post his video in here for him. Top job.

OpenPilot CopterControl Quad 8+ Mins Hands Off Hover w/CRASH (9 min 12 sec)
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:09 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,062 Posts
Does anyone know when stock will be available for openpilot CC?

Mike
cdi3d is online now Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:30 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,866 Posts
We make no promises, should be before the end of the month, watch the forums http://forums.openpilot.org and of course @openpilot on Twitter.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Thaks for the compliment and posting G-Man.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:51 PM
Joined Dec 2010
400 Posts
Cc

Just changed my FPV setup from 900mhz to 1.3.... tested it out yesterday...perfect....here is onboard vid (no downlink sorry)..oh and it was breezy and i was more interested in the video cutting out or multipathing off the water....while banking and flying low....which there was none .. CP antennas are the best!

Road to the Sea Black Sand Beach (4 min 2 sec)
hawaiitaco is offline Find More Posts by hawaiitaco
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:07 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,866 Posts
Blimey is that with CC, I think you should put that video here and then become the winner of the competition that we really have no rules about.

http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/56...a-competition/

Were you using Axis lock on the yaw channel??

Oh and BTW excellent.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Blimey is that with CC, I think you should put that video here and then become the winner of the competition that we really have no rules about.

http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/56...a-competition/

Were you using Axis lock on the yaw channel??

Oh and BTW excellent.
hehe...yeah CC...i mean if you want me to use the Pro board...im willing to give it a try ...lol i started another thread over there regarding onboard vid/fpv...
no axis lock on yaw...it was just on rate
hawaiitaco is offline Find More Posts by hawaiitaco
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiitaco View Post
hehe...yeah CC...i mean if you want me to use the Pro board...im willing to give it a try ...lol i started another thread over there regarding onboard vid/fpv...
no axis lock on yaw...it was just on rate
nice!
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:47 AM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Taranaki New Zealand
Joined Sep 2003
1,336 Posts
First Y4 on coptercontrol ?

Revisited the Y4 tonite , reconfigured my minsoo kim quad into a tri, and used the landing gear and motor adaptors from my frame design, and whiped up a Y4

First test is per std Y4 accepted practice, equal props and motors , and as last time, it stunk.

Rear motor speed is set to 62% of the front

The problem is, you only have the rear motors for yaw control, and couple to the fact when all 4 motors are identical, the rear props need to run at 1/2 the thrust of the front props, you get weak yaw, couple with pitching forward whenever you yaw (as the rear props start to bite teh air and make lift)

So, the answer (so far anyway) is, to put smaller props on the back

Im running 10 by 4.5 on front and 8 by 4 on the rear, all motors are flycam 925's

The secret is running the rears at 83% of the front speed, easily done with copter control

will shoot some vid tomorrow

test hop tonite was in the kitchen, about 4ft square by 10 ft high space (with two curious cats hanging around)

Custom mix
(note 127 is 100%)

motor 1 front left
Curve = 127 (throttle)
Roll= 64
Pitch =64
Yaw =0 (none

motor 2 front right
Curve = 127
Roll= -64
Pitch =64
Yaw =0

motor 3 rear CW
Curve = 105 (83% of front)
Roll= 0
Pitch = -64
Yaw = -127

motor 4 rear CCW
Curve = 105
Roll= 0
Pitch = -64
Yaw = 127

Im also running the pitch gain about 1.4 times as high as roll to help combat any pitching with yaw
matwelli is offline Find More Posts by matwelli
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:19 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Something closer to conventional that you might try for more camera angle is an asymmetrical copter. Basically, the one shown is a hexa minus the front and rear arms, and it worked OK for an MK. Since CC has separate pitch and roll stabilization settings, it could even work better for CC, though I haven't tried it.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:16 AM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jan 2010
93 Posts
setup issues

hi all
I am setting up my cc for the first time and running into something I do not understand. I followed the video for and set up my quad for + mode, everything seemed to go well until I looked at the Scope and Flight Data screens and realized the quad, at rest, showed that it was tumbling wildly. After about 10 minutes the roll and pitch stabilize but the yaw continues to spin like a top. I have reloaded the boot loader and the firmware many times in order and resting between loads and gone from 6/8ver. to 7/6ver. with no change in results. I have no setting changes, just the standard config. Right now I have nothing attached to the board except for the usb. Here are the scope results, the gyrations up to 12:31:40 are from my movement of the quad and after that it is flat on the floor. Any Ideas?
Thanks
Gary
azred is offline Find More Posts by azred
Last edited by azred; Feb 22, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:18 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Just finished my small-ish (8" prop) hexa with CC, I was going to build a "spyder" hexa, waited too long and no one is selling those frames So I just use my old MK octo1 frame, use the middle plates and the arms, turn up to be pretty good. Received the CC board today, read the CC wiki, watched the OP TV Ep 1 and tried it, oh man with default setting it's really good and stable , OK except it just want to go forward. Going to play with it again tomorrow. Thank you OpenPilot Team!
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:38 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azred View Post
hi all
I am setting up my cc for the first time and running into something I do not understand. I followed the video for and set up my quad for + mode, everything seemed to go well until I looked at the Scope and Flight Data screens and realized the quad, at rest, showed that it was tumbling wildly. After about 10 minutes the roll and pitch stabilize but the yaw continues to spin like a top. I have reloaded the boot loader and the firmware many times in order and resting between loads and gone from 6/8ver. to 7/6ver. with no change in results. I have no setting changes, just the standard config. Right now I have nothing attached to the board except for the usb. Here are the scope results, the gyrations up to 12:31:40 are from my movement of the quad and after that it is flat on the floor. Any Ideas?
Thanks
Gary
Hi Gary,

The spinning would seem to indicate that the gyros need to be calibrated, which happens at power-up. Are you keeping the board completely still for about 10 seconds when connecting the power? If not, give that a try.

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:28 AM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jan 2010
93 Posts
Hi Rusty
the quad has been sitting in the same place for 3 days now, just unplug the usb from the pc for power down and up, i have also used the zero accel bias dozens of times and saved and restarted, the quad does the same thing each time i start it, Flight Data Screen shows level for 2 seconds then pitch up roll left and go into a tumble for 10 minutes or so then the pitch and roll start to center and only yaw continues to show the quad rotating rapidly. Since there is no place i see to the adjust the gyros or accels other than the zero accel button I am beginning to assume the board doesn't work?
Thanks
azred is offline Find More Posts by azred
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:44 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Have you got the "calibrate gyros on arming" box checked? If so, try unchecking it, or arm the motors (after observing all the established safety measures of course).

I think the board is always supposed to calibrate gyros on power-up, even with that box checked, but I'm not convinced it does. Mine was doing the same thing yesterday, and I had to arm the motors to stop it, since powering up didn't seem to.

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread