United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matwelli View Post
V8 done using copter control and 6 channels, works well now that its sorted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcyimy0UnZQ
Hi Matwelli,

I am almost finished putting together a V-8 frame from scraps purchased at my local salvage yard (found a bunch of 10x10x1mm 32 inch long square aluminum, and some old hard drive platters for frame center plates). I have not yet purchased any components. I am looking at the Open Pilot project with great interest, but as an RC noob (and general electronics novice), I am finding a few things difficult to understand. I have a number of questions, but two are kind of biggies.

First, I don't fully understand how you and Sami are utilizing the CC board in a V-8 configuration. I guess you have some work-around for the seeming 6 channel output limit (as I understand things, the board has a default limit of running 6 motors). Can you clarify your and Sami's approach in terms my 49 year-old drool-encrusted brain can comprehend? I sort of understand the difference between analog PWM commands and the faster, digital i2C protocol. Does your method involve some sort of conversion of the signal from the CC board? Is additional hardware required?

Second, I may remember some mention of V-8 capabilities being a standard feature of an upcoming OP board. Perhaps that would be for me. What's the bird's eye lowdown on that?

Thanks!

George, Marin County, California.
rcposter is offline Find More Posts by rcposter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:05 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,938 Posts
I doubt if Sambas will respond here, try adding on this thread http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/55...rs-6-outsputs/ Sambas, is basically using one of the ports to map some extra channels onto. Matt is using a different technique, but again better to ask on the OP Forums.

@Matt, just flew Axis Lock outside and yes it is cool, going to be brave and try all axis once the battery is charged again.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:08 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,938 Posts
Do you leave your switch in the central position whilst saving it during set up?

Did you move the switch when setting up RC inputs?

You are trying to setup just an aircraft in your TX? No need for any mixes to be applied in the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpeakmac View Post
thanks for trying gary but it is still the same i tried a new spektrum 6200 rx and changed the switching from switch C 3 position to switch E 3 position then to switch B 2 position i have watched the openpilot video 1 several times and i am doing it the same i have also watched openpilot video 2 and would like to configure my quad but without switching i am not able.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:27 AM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
!
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:37 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an View Post
!
Why is it in your hand and not in a frame
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:22 AM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Why is it in your hand and not in a frame
My workshop was flooded during a thunderstorm last week, that'll keep me busy for a while
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:29 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an View Post
My workshop was flooded during a thunderstorm last week, that'll keep me busy for a while
That sux. Just send it to me and I will make sure it goes right into a nice home
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:35 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,938 Posts
YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/OpenPilot

There is already a Vimeo group http://www.vimeo.com/groups/openpilot
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:00 AM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
That sux. Just send it to me and I will make sure it goes right into a nice home
Not that busy
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:40 AM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Taranaki New Zealand
Joined Sep 2003
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcposter View Post
Hi Matwelli, I don't fully understand how you and Sami are utilizing the CC board in a V-8 configuration. I guess you have some work-around for the seeming 6 channel output limit (as I understand things, the board has a default limit of running 6 motors).
Thanks!

George, Marin County, California.
Hi George, yep as gary says , sami is using some trickery to get 8 outputs working and drive each of his motors individually.

I havent seen his v8 do any hard yaw-ing yet, and would like too.
For me using the front and rear motors for yaw control lead so some nasty Roll effects, this is due to the unequal distances of the motors to the centre line (in all other multi's the motors are all eqidistant from the centre)

My aproach is to use 4 channels to individually control the 4 centre motors, using them for yaw and roll.
The front motors are both driven from one channel, and the rears from the last channel - and they only deal with pitch control

I have had a look at the mixing used in open pilots true V8 mix, essentially it uses all motors for yaw , roll and pitch, but interestingly puts less authority on the front and rear motors for pitch control, so i really want to try it and compare
matwelli is offline Find More Posts by matwelli
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:36 PM
Derbyshire UK
Joined Nov 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Do you leave your switch in the central position whilst saving it during set up?

Did you move the switch when setting up RC inputs?

You are trying to setup just an aircraft in your TX? No need for any mixes to be applied in the radio.
hi gary
i have a standard aeroplane setup with no mixers i have tried another Tx and another Rx but still the same when i do a set up i move all the sticks and switch the one that switches channel 5. i have removed the GCS from my computer and down loaded and set it up again,i dont under stand the tech side but could it be the firmware could you tell me what version i should have.
regards
jeff
highpeakmac is offline Find More Posts by highpeakmac
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:48 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,938 Posts
If you have updated the GCS you must update the firmware. Its pretty simple.

You might need to do the bootloader update as you had one of the first boards about.

quickfwupdate (3 min 45 sec)

Anyone with the current batch that arrived this week, you won't need to.

Have you had this board flying yet?? If you have big issues just put it in the post and I will sort it out for you. (UK boards only kids)
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:24 PM
Venice Beach, CA...the last bus stop West for any NUTZ
Joined Feb 2010
253 Posts
CC board for sale

letting this 1 go
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130544317802
muccy is offline Find More Posts by muccy
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:55 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Jun 2011
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muccy View Post
Just sell it here, then u have no ebay fees.
PM me if u want to sell..
Nick Papagiorgio is offline Find More Posts by Nick Papagiorgio
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:14 AM
Venice Beach, CA...the last bus stop West for any NUTZ
Joined Feb 2010
253 Posts
PM sent

PM sent to Nick
muccy is offline Find More Posts by muccy
Closed Thread