Enthlapy is offline Find More Posts by Enthlapy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Metal Head Mini FPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:05 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
250 Posts
Sorry Al, I forgot....... I will try to remember next time.
Movie Guy is offline Find More Posts by Movie Guy
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:11 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Guy View Post
Sorry Al, I forgot....... I will try to remember next time.
no problem MG, it is just awkward for me ... thanks anyway
AlPackin is online now Find More Posts by AlPackin
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyWheat View Post
The story is basically this: Dankers and possibly Angus had a dream to create a completely open source Autopilot that was of professional quality - a contrast to the DIY drones or MK mentality. Everything was going to be open source, and the hardware was going to be sold at cost price. Dankers invested a significant amount of effort and cash into setting up the project, and ended up going into debt.

Realising the strategy was unsustainable, he flip flopped on the open source hardware goal, and added a margin to hardware sales in order maintain the community (i.e. hosting costs). Because he bore the financial burden, he also felt entitled to project control. This has been both good and bad. Good, because he puts a massive amount of effort into the project. Bad, because he doesn't always make the best decisions, and can be very egotistical.

OpenPilot can be trusted, as long as you're prepared to show Dankers 'respect' for the hard work and cash he's put into the project. I contributed to the project in the beginning, but didn't agree with the leadership style or decisions, so decided to withdraw.
Wow, a level-headed response. I have yet to get that from somebody claiming to be part of OP even though I see that you said you are no longer part of it. Thank you regardless.

This does add some insight that I was not aware of. I do not think that because somebody bares the financial burden that that entitles them to full control of a project. It also looks like other people invested some not insignificant sums of money as well. And I don't see that dankers has ever committed code. What about all those people who committed time and talents? Looking at their code logs it looks like a few people were responsible for the vast majority of the software.

So if dankers decided to close source the hardware or to reverse course on going nonprofit, that's fine by me. But, and I direct this at the OP community, quit claiming that you are those things that you aren't. And quit trying to claim moral superiority.

And quit attacking people simply because they don't agree with you. Like the OPer scott page that calls me hateful and trolling for sharing my OPENPILOT CopterControl experience on RCG in the OPENPILOT CopterControl RCG SHARE THREAD ( NOT AFFILIATED TO OP AT ALL ), simply because my experience was a negative one.
69VillageBD is offline Find More Posts by 69VillageBD
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:24 AM
No you cant fly it.
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Mar 2011
1,257 Posts
I must give mad props to OP for creating TxPID! I spent a couple hours today learning and playing around with it and WOW, I have my quad tuned better than I ever have! its so nice not having to go back and forth to the computer. I always just got close enough to fly as I was tired of plugging and unplugging the USB... now that problem is solved!

Thank you OpenPilot!
kicekilla is offline Find More Posts by kicekilla
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:19 AM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
If people can not get along in this thread it needs to be closed...
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:10 AM
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
550 Posts
I can't wait to get Open Pilot again the suspense is killing me!!
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:35 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
If people can not get along in this thread it needs to be closed...
Interesting point - since the thread owner is suspended from RCG -- I think permanently.

I agree with you. Getting along is usually as much or more about how something is said as what is said -- even in writing. I don't mind reading about issues or challenges if it's from the point of view of how to remedy them -- or better yet -- with a remedy for them.

So -- let me pose a completely different idea -- and see what sort of feedback I get. I would like to built a 2 meter quad. I'm interested in what ya'll think of two motors on each arm - one at 50% from center and one at 100% from center.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:56 PM
Sweden Linköping
Joined Aug 2009
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Interesting point - since the thread owner is suspended from RCG -- I think permanently.

I agree with you. Getting along is usually as much or more about how something is said as what is said -- even in writing. I don't mind reading about issues or challenges if it's from the point of view of how to remedy them -- or better yet -- with a remedy for them.

So -- let me pose a completely different idea -- and see what sort of feedback I get. I would like to built a 2 meter quad. I'm interested in what ya'll think of two motors on each arm - one at 50% from center and one at 100% from center.
I build thishttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755831 It used a kk card as Fc so maybe little of topic here.....
sjak is offline Find More Posts by sjak
Closed Thread