HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,820 Posts
Well the main project was dabbling with GPS before last Christmas

Openpilot hexa position hold demo (2 min 15 sec)

Hardware has been revised several times, unlike other projects nothing is released to the wild until it does what we say it will.

There are 300 plus CC boards in the wild and that number will double over the next two weeks.

Quite a few of them flying http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/44...role-of-honor/ thats not a complete list and I am behind updating it. Will probably close it at the first 100 airframes. Those folk will have been the real pioneers.

Xbees and Bluetooth devices easily talk to CC, funnily enough I set one up tonight.

http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Do...lemetry+Modems

Name the other opensource or closed source project that supports GCS that works with

Linux
Mac
Windows
Android

As you say you have several FCs so best stick to them Daign
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:39 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPackin View Post
CC will not likely get GPS, not enough memory I believe. CC is just a stabilized FC.

The OP main board is nearing completion. It will use a separate INS (AHRS), GPS, and Xbee type telemetry board in a stack arrangement It will be the autonomous type platform you are looking for.
AP
What you think with that, that existing CC will not get option to connect GPS module? Why not, if there is on board connector...?
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:43 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,820 Posts
Well lets see what happens shall we, the main discussion will always be over at our own forums.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:01 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
What you think with that, that existing CC will not get option to connect GPS module? Why not, if there is on board connector...?
It can support GPS and some of the changes coming up soon will allow that to get into the stock firmware as an enableable option.

That video Gary posted was the beta hardware of the pro series so I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I can pretty much promise CC will NEVER support GPS based navigation. For fixed wing it might and one of the guys has demonstrated circling a single position.
peabody124 is online now Find More Posts by peabody124
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:32 PM
www.joescnc.com
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfool View Post
I have a cnc router so I would like to find a dxf file so I can cut one fo myself out of G10 material.

I have a router but I suck at autocad.

Randy
http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Do...+Centre+Plates
Joecnc2006 is online now Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:47 PM
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
Thanks Joe,

What do you use to convert the dwg file to a dxf file?

Randy
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:54 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Joe,

Randy
Autocad

edit

there IS a dxf there ... just look closer
AlPackin is offline Find More Posts by AlPackin
Last edited by AlPackin; Aug 18, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:57 PM
www.joescnc.com
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
715 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Joe,

Randy
I use Autocad Civil 3D, Our license allows me to use it on my laptop, when not at work.

But there are many acad clones for free and other cad programs.

Here is a dxf file. Let me know if it works for you.
Joecnc2006 is online now Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Well the main project was dabbling with GPS before last Christmas

http://vimeo.com/17702145

Hardware has been revised several times, unlike other projects nothing is released to the wild until it does what we say it will.

There are 300 plus CC boards in the wild and that number will double over the next two weeks.

Quite a few of them flying http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/44...role-of-honor/ thats not a complete list and I am behind updating it. Will probably close it at the first 100 airframes. Those folk will have been the real pioneers.

Xbees and Bluetooth devices easily talk to CC, funnily enough I set one up tonight.

http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Do...lemetry+Modems

Name the other opensource or closed source project that supports GCS that works with

Linux
Mac
Windows
Android

As you say you have several FCs so best stick to them Daign
Nice. Looks good.

As a customer interested in your product which is my purpose for being in this thread, you tell me to stick to my other controllers? If thats your selling tactic, I think its time to hire a sales team. Sorry if I offended you.

I'll be following the project. I"ll pick one up regardless.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:46 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
Nice. Looks good.

As a customer interested in your product which is my purpose for being in this thread, you tell me to stick to my other controllers? If thats your selling tactic, I think its time to hire a sales team. Sorry if I offended you.

I'll be following the project. I"ll pick one up regardless.
They aren't in this for the sales its an open source non profit project. There is no sales team or person.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:00 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
They aren't in this for the sales its an open source non profit project. There is no sales team or person.
Understood, but the developers still shouldn't be telling people to go with other FCs. I'm here because I'm interested.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,125 Posts
Quote:
Understood, but the developers still shouldn't be telling people to go with other FCs. I'm here because I'm interested.
Glad to see you have interest in the CC. I've been enjoying mine, though I still have more tweaking to do.

If I can instill my thoughts...some of your previous post sounded more judgmental than inquisitive. I too was getting the impression you were asking about and then nay-saying what the CC might and might not do. I'm sure the response of 'you might want to stick with your other FCs' was based on the posts appearing negative based. I'm sure that's wasn't your intention, but that's what I was picking up at least. FWIW, I had a similar issue in one of the HoverFly threads. I was asking questions and was told the HoverFly probably wasn't for me.

I bought the CC for its size, its user interface, and its 'basic' capabilities. I wasn't overly concerned with baros, mag sensors, GPS, etc. For the price I felt the CC is a very capable controller. I have a 5x more expensive XAircraft controller with all those extra sensors. You know which FCs I fliy that most are though? My CC and QuadRino....go figure.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:29 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
If I can instill my thoughts...some of your previous post sounded more judgmental than inquisitive. I too was getting the impression you were asking about and then nay-saying what the CC might and might not do. I'm sure the response of 'you might want to stick with your other FCs' was based on the posts appearing negative based. I'm sure that's wasn't your intention, but that's what I was picking up at least. FWIW, I had a similar issue in one of the HoverFly threads. I was asking questions and was told the HoverFly probably wasn't for me.
I agree his posts sounded more negative than inquisitive. Not just you.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,052 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it was this comment you made->

***I have other FCs. I'm not interested in anything without proven xbee, gps functionalities. For now you can't even get this board. And I have been flying. Its down again because it wants to be***
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:09 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Let's see. What can we say about Open Pilot?

1) It is a fairly new controller.
2) It has a noble beginning.
3) It is open source.
4) It had teething problem.
5) It is on the market as a way for users to see what it is like.
6) It is not designed a a profitable entity.
7) It is high quality.
8) It will not be sold until it is thoroughly tested. That is with the hardware.
9) It will not be released until it is thoroughly tested. That is with the software.
10) It has a much lower supply than demand. That is why you can never get one. Try to sell a new one on the market and see how fast it gets snatched up.
11) It is very reliable.
12) It is very capable.
13) It is designed for flyers. It doesn't have all the rubbish that flyers don't need.
14) It is only the beginning. The Pro is coming.
15) It is selling at a ridiculously low price.
16) It is not selling because of marketing. It is selling because it is that good.
17) It has a lot of potential.
18) It is run by a bunch of very good people.
19) It is not plug and play. You have to learn to use it.
20) It will not make you coffee.
21) It is not meant to be compared to any other board.
22) It has a lot of loyal followers.
23) It takes some getting used to.
24) The Copter Control doesn't support GPS.
25) It doesn't have a barometer and doesn't have an altitude hold feature.
26) It does not have a magnetometer.
27) It is meant to be a basic board. As such there is no equal.
28) It can be extremely stable but only if you spend time building a good machine to put it in.
29) It can be very aerobatic but only if you learn how to tune it.
30) It will support camera stabilization. For now only with a quad.
31) It will fly any machine up to an Octo.
32) It has adjustable mixing so you can just about fly any configuration you like.
33) It is smaller than most other controllers.
34) The developers will listen to you and try to do the right thing.
35) I never liked it but I don't want to fly anything else now.
36) It is teaching me patience to wait for it.
37) For every one that doesn't want an Copter Control there are ten people that wants one.
38) A lot of people are frustrated because it is not available.
39) Once some one gets their hands on one they will not let it go. I don't see too many (if any) of them on sale on the used market.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Closed Thread