HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:16 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Sorry I'm not following you. Are you saying there is information posted that he is no longer part of the team before my post in this thread about my pre-order? (all this happened after)

I just assumed his store was still official from the last time he sold them officially. I didnt see anything in the openpilot news forum stating the stores changed.

I see now that is not true.
Unfortunately you were one of the few people that was the victim of his unscrupulous business practice. He has no official Copter Control board going to him from the project. So all he can do is to sell some sort of clone if he is selling anything.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:17 AM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I'm not following you. Are you saying there is information posted that he is no longer part of the team before my post in this thread about my pre-order? (all this happened after)

I just assumed his store was still official from the last time he sold them officially. I didnt see anything in the openpilot news forum stating the stores changed.

I see now that is not true.
yes there has been an interesting turn of events, and i would kindly ask for a refund since the planned reproduction of cc isnt supported nor authorized commercially. ( that is what im getting) not to mention ethical issues
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:19 AM
FREEdom!!
Joined Feb 2006
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
That's what I called hiding behind the Open Pilot Team when he is not a welcome member. That's not proper regardless of legality.
Your right. That wording was suggested by dankers. I will go ahead and change it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Buzz_Lightyear is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Lightyear
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Lightyear View Post
Your right. That wording was suggested by dankers. I will go ahead and change it. Thanks for pointing that out.
hey just curious, people been talking about the missing boards you were to send matt, but there saying you never sent or said they were lost. whats up with that? how can you even think about earning trust on pre ordering anything if this is already happening?
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:22 AM
FREEdom!!
Joined Feb 2006
294 Posts
Ask Mat. He knows for a fact they were sent. If he likes, he can go ahead and give you the tracking number for it.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Ask Mat. He knows for a fact they were sent. If he likes, he can go ahead and give you the tracking number for it.
whos responsibility is it for these lost boards?
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:26 AM
FREEdom!!
Joined Feb 2006
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
whos responsibility is it for these lost boards?
I've already told Mat I plan on covering the costs for the boards.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
I've already told Mat I plan on covering the costs for the boards.
ok had to ask i didnt see the response from u or matt in yuur financial thread. just said to pm etc..
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:31 AM
Sevastopol, Crimea, Ukraine
Joined Feb 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
osnwt I suggest you read the link I posted.
"You can stop distributing your work under a Creative Commons license at any time you wish".

The key is that it was not distributed without NC license. It was first published with NC. And only official publication is the proof of license terms. If you had preliminary not published materials (received, stolen, captured from project servers using admin rights, or else) - it does not mean that the work was distributed.
osnwt is offline Find More Posts by osnwt
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:31 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
I looked a few pages before page 95 where my initial post is about my pre-order and didn't see anything. I'm probably just blind. I only see the explosion that happened after my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
yes there has been an interesting turn of events, and i would kindly ask for a refund since the planned reproduction of cc isnt supported nor authorized commercially. ( that is what im getting) not to mention ethical issues
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:32 AM
Joined May 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Openpilot.us was listed on their website as an official reseller. Thats how I purchased one from the first batch.

Where is the announcement that this store is no longer official? Did they just remove the link and thats it? That's a horrible way to handle it because people are going to remember where they got their last one.
Sorry Dolby. This was our mistake. We tried to handle this disagreement quietly but that option has been removed from us. As soon as we heard he was taking pre-orders, that is when we (unfortunately) had to make this public. It was our fear as he gradually started playing games (e.g. blocked all team members from servers, complained VERY vocally when we tried to find more cost effective distribution methods to allow a price cut, etc) that he would try and profit personally from other peoples work (if you want to see feel free to look at how much he's actually contributed here http://git.openpilot.org/users).

So just to remove any ambiguity: 1) he is not an OP developer anymore 2) boards purcased from his web page (FLAPS) are NOT from OpenPilot 3) the will NOT receive any support. It is possible GCS may not even work with them in the future. You can judge the support you will get by searching our forum for how frequently he has helped people with their problems. In addition none of the proceeds from those boards will go to the project (as did none of his previous proceeds).

In addition the files were -NC when released publicly and he was involved in (and supported when he thought he'd make money) all the discussion that lead to making them NC. It will be up to the lawyers to determine the consequences of early drafts of the file passed around privately not having that clause, but you can expect at the least a delay while this is resolved and possibly never receiving it.

Finally I would like to say sorry this has been dragged out in public and disrupted the thread. We like OP to be all about fun and flying. It's unfortunate that any money gets involved but that necessary to keep hardware in existence - and as we are seeing also brings out the worst in people.
peabody124 is offline Find More Posts by peabody124
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:35 AM
Joined May 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody124 View Post
Sorry Dolby. This was our mistake.
[...]
It's unfortunate that any money gets involved but that necessary to keep hardware in existence - and as we are seeing also brings out the worst in people.
I'd also like to say personally I find this very disappointing. Through all the odd behavior I kept backing him and trying to find alternative explanations than he was just trying to make a buck. I was extremely sad to hear he made a batch simply to enrich himself and validating what I'd be denying.
peabody124 is offline Find More Posts by peabody124
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:37 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
I requested a refund via paypal and I'll let you all know what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to report back that my money was refunded in a quick and polite manner.

I'm not sure what more can be done but I'm sure others who purchased 1 from the first batch will remember that site if they want a 2nd one.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:39 AM
FREEdom!!
Joined Feb 2006
294 Posts
Quote:
I requested a refund via paypal and I'll let you all know what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to report back that my money was refunded in a quick and polite manner.

I'm not sure what more can be done but I'm sure others who purchased 1 from the first batch will remember that site if they want a 2nd one.
All you had to do was send an email and request a refund. It will, of course, be granted.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:

i remember the first one i got from there aswell, im surprised it made it in one peice.. i opened envelope.
-
-
Closed Thread