Closed Thread
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:42 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Ok ok, back on topic. I also wanted to see how a biggish quad with the CC board handle in the wind. I had my chance today.

A video is worth 10,000 words.

This is what the quad looks like except now it has 1/2" round carbon tubes for arms instead of square. It is a little lighter and I made it bigger so it is 33" from motor to motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWIO876GDfw

Here is the flight today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77euPFy93o
That's certainly a big quad. Looks like the CC handles it and the wind really well. One thing though...where were the loops and rolls?
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Looks pretty nice

Are you using FF (Feed Forward) ?

Rusty
What does FF do? I'm sure I've seen it on the GCS, but it said something about 'Don't Use on a multi-copter'.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:17 PM
Suffolk County NY , USA
Joined Mar 2009
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
What does FF do? I'm sure I've seen it on the GCS, but it said something about 'Don't Use on a multi-copter'.
you WANT to use it on a multicopter .. you may have been thinking of "manual" wich is the setting you DONT want on a multi ..

Feed forward is sorta a hack , to try and make the esc react faster. Kinda like giving your car full throttle to get up to highway speed. VS giving it enough throttle to cruse at highway speed , and just letting it get there.

Normally , the controller would send out the actual requested throttle command and allow the motor to speed up. With feed forward , it will give a quick burst of FULL throttle to try and get it to the requested speed quicker.

It will be more effective once the OP esc's are done and have full RPM feedback into the controller.

Take a look around the OP wiki for more info. The setup process isn't for the squeamish ..
Kevo500 is offline Find More Posts by Kevo500
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:08 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
That's certainly a big quad. Looks like the CC handles it and the wind really well. One thing though...where were the loops and rolls?
So far I am not very good at looping the Copter Control board yet. I still have to learn to tweak the settings a bit more. I did a loop with a smaller quad yesterday and it turned into a figure 9 to the ground.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:11 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo500 View Post
you WANT to use it on a multicopter .. you may have been thinking of "manual" wich is the setting you DONT want on a multi ..

Feed forward is sorta a hack , to try and make the esc react faster. Kinda like giving your car full throttle to get up to highway speed. VS giving it enough throttle to cruse at highway speed , and just letting it get there.

Normally , the controller would send out the actual requested throttle command and allow the motor to speed up. With feed forward , it will give a quick burst of FULL throttle to try and get it to the requested speed quicker.

It will be more effective once the OP esc's are done and have full RPM feedback into the controller.

Take a look around the OP wiki for more info. The setup process isn't for the squeamish ..
So is that like a higher "D" value in PID? I know the Copter Control doesn't have a D value in the GCS.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
FF doesn't have anything to do with PID in rate/attitude mode.
All it is is a hack for current slow ESCs that take too long to ramp up to given speed.
With OP-ESC (unlike what kevo says) I think it will not be necessary as the ESC actualyl properly reacts to given setpoint, so there will be no need to hack this.

What it does (dumb explanation)

1. Your throttle is at 10%
2. You need to go to 50%
3. CC commands the esc to go to 100% for a very short period of time, then jumps back to 50%.

There's more steps behind teh scenes in step 3, but that's basically the idea.
Now if cheap HK escs actually went to 50% the moment (or quickly) they're told to, this wouldn't be necessary.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:26 AM
FREEdom!!
Joined Feb 2006
294 Posts
Wow, some people sure do let their imaginations run wild.

First off, whoever claims that I am going to take the money and run off is spouting absolutely senseless drivel. I'm not even going to address the absurdity of this comment.

Second, there has been a lot of talk about the license file of the boards I am making. These board files were shared under the CC-BY-SA license. Dankers sent me these.

Feel free to have a look at this thread where I opened my finances to the world. I believe I have clearly showed that any money I have taken in has been completely reinvested in the project. Any disagreements? Dankers has twice committed to doing likewise, once almost a year ago and once two months ago. Where is his?
Buzz_Lightyear is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Lightyear
Last edited by Buzz_Lightyear; Aug 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:27 AM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
FF doesn't have anything to do with PID in rate/attitude mode.
All it is is a hack for current slow ESCs that take too long to ramp up to given speed.
With OP-ESC (unlike what kevo says) I think it will not be necessary as the ESC actualyl properly reacts to given setpoint, so there will be no need to hack this.

What it does (dumb explanation)

1. Your throttle is at 10%
2. You need to go to 50%
3. CC commands the esc to go to 100% for a very short period of time, then jumps back to 50%.

There's more steps behind teh scenes in step 3, but that's basically the idea.
Now if cheap HK escs actually went to 50% the moment (or quickly) they're told to, this wouldn't be necessary.
we need this with mk esc lol
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
we need this with mk esc lol
I could probably do feedforward on the i2c converter but I sure as heck dont want to deal with broken faces as a result of people misusing it.

You *CAN* just use MK-ESC in PPM mode which has waaaaay better response than a typical HKesc.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:35 AM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
I could probably do feedforward on the i2c converter but I sure as heck dont want to deal with broken faces as a result of people misusing it.

You *CAN* just use MK-ESC in PPM mode which has waaaaay better response than a typical HKesc.
yea i don think i need it for PWM esc on my CC anyways puts out enough for me.
-
http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/58...s-in-pwm-mode/
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
yea i don think i need it for PWM esc on my CC anyways puts out enough for me.
-
http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/58...s-in-pwm-mode/
Seen that, waiting for results.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined May 2011
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Lightyear View Post
Wow, some people sure do let their
Second, there has been a lot of talk about the license file of the boards I am making. These board files were shared under the CC-BY-SA license.
http://git.openpilot.org/browse/Open...SE.txt?hb=true

That is incorrect. The hardware files are CC-BY-SA-NC as specified in the LICENSE.txt file. This was decided when we went to manufacturing to prevent exactly this. The board designers (Dave and Pip) both agreed to this. It's not a clause we really wanted, but is necessary for the long term viability of the project as hardware costs money. You don't even want to know what we have planned after the Pro series is out ;-). The hope is that once CC has helped pay off the project's costs we can drop the NC clause.
peabody124 is offline Find More Posts by peabody124
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:58 AM
FREEdom!!
Joined Feb 2006
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody124 View Post
http://git.openpilot.org/browse/Open...SE.txt?hb=true

That is incorrect. The hardware files are CC-BY-SA-NC as specified in the LICENSE.txt file. This was decided when we went to manufacturing to prevent exactly this. The board designers (Dave and Pip) both agreed to this. It's not a clause we really wanted, but is necessary for the long term viability of the project as hardware costs money. You don't even want to know what we have planned after the Pro series is out ;-). The hope is that once CC has helped pay off the project's costs we can drop the NC clause.
I posted the file there for all to see. The hardware is clearly marked CC-BY-SA.

See here for what that means: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Freq...nge_my_mind.3F

So just because later versions were released under the NC license does not mean these suddenly cease to be valid and 100% legal.
Last edited by Buzz_Lightyear; Aug 08, 2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:29 AM
Sevastopol, Crimea, Ukraine
Joined Feb 2007
134 Posts
http://git.openpilot.org/browse/Open...0Schematic.pdf

Any internal (not published) preliminary materials can have any marks.

From the day one when schematic was first officially presented (15th of April) it has NC label.
osnwt is offline Find More Posts by osnwt
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:36 AM
FREEdom!!
Joined Feb 2006
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnwt View Post
http://git.openpilot.org/browse/Open...0Schematic.pdf

Any internal (not published) preliminary materials can have any marks.

From the day one when schematic was first officially presented (15th of April) it has NC label.
osnwt I suggest you read the link I posted.
Closed Thread