HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2011, 08:45 AM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Discussion
What P-51 to buy?

I would like to get a P-51 preferrably foam with about a 55" wingspan. I would also like retracts and flaps. I have been looking at:

Banana Hobby 63" but....lots of bad reviews about their CS

Airfield 57" I found one locally for a decent price but....no spare parts to be found anywhere

I know Parkzone has one, I love my PZ P-47, but it does not have retracts.

Are there other manufacturers that I don't know about? Where do you all buy your planes?
jsshieldsjr is offline Find More Posts by jsshieldsjr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
The Airfield bird is the same as the FMS P-51. It is just re-branded by Nitro-Planes. You can find spare parts for them at:
NitroPlanes
PW-RC
RC Castle

And this thread is a must read for the FMS/Airfield P-51.

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old May 25, 2011, 09:58 AM
Canada, ON, North Bay
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
If I were to buy a P-51 it would probably be this pre-built balsa one:
Value Hobby 57" $89

I also have a thread here that might help you out:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438549

But it only lists plug and play models right now.
Haggerty00 is offline Find More Posts by Haggerty00
Old May 25, 2011, 10:11 AM
www.thunderbolt-gallery.com
Joined Mar 2007
175 Posts
I was all ready to pull the trigger on this one this spring-

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towa2000.html

But then I bought this one- This hobby is way too impulsive!

No regrets!!

Blue Skies!

Steve
MIGl7 is offline Find More Posts by MIGl7
Old May 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsshieldsjr View Post
I would like to get a P-51 preferrably foam with about a 55" wingspan. I would also like retracts and flaps. I have been looking at:

Banana Hobby 63" but....lots of bad reviews about their CS

Airfield 57" I found one locally for a decent price but....no spare parts to be found anywhere
js....do yourself a favor and buy the newly released version 6 57" wingspan P-51 FMS or Airfiled from Nitroplanes. It's the best deal for an ARF out there, with plenty of online support and spare parts.....I don't think Banana Hobby or HobbyKing can compare with the parts support.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old May 25, 2011, 10:39 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
+1.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old May 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
I'm completely biased of course, since my plane is the local one in question, but you simply cannot beat the V6 P-51 from Airfield/FMS. Parts will come online via Nitro soon, but nobody ever knows when and they do sell out of certain parts pretty fast. However, as others have mentioned, Airfield V3 and FMS V6 are essentially the same thing, just a rebranded name for USA sale. There are a number of outlets for FMS parts if you ever need them, but the V6 is built to last! Also FWIW, flaps are a slice and a servo away!

For what you get as a truly ready to fly package (Without the need to fix stuff prior to taking off) there are no competitors in this size class that I'm aware of. J-Power and Starmax make P-51's of appx. the same size, however they are early editions and not nearly as refined as the V6 - Lots of bugs documented, which you can read about on this forum! Those two are nice airframes though, and if you're into building from an airframe level you should definitely give them a look. Basically a lot more work and cash will be required to reach the level of an Airfield V3/FMS V6 right out of the box.

Just my biased 2 cents!
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old May 25, 2011, 03:06 PM
Joined Sep 2007
27 Posts
Quote:
Where do you all buy your planes?
How about HK?
johndoe2490 is offline Find More Posts by johndoe2490
Old May 25, 2011, 03:52 PM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies! I have sent Roswalt a PM so hopefully I will have a P51 soon. Now the task of finding 4S batteries.
jsshieldsjr is offline Find More Posts by jsshieldsjr
Old May 25, 2011, 05:20 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,344 Posts
Quote:
thanks for all of the replies! I have sent roswalt a pm so hopefully i will have a p51 soon. Now the task of finding 4s batteries.
h o b b y k i n g
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2011, 06:25 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
I'll 4th the FMS latest version. I'm sure they still require some tweaks but the starting point is better. The HK 61" P-51 has a bad rep for quality. I don't have one but I do have the P-38 which is nice but you have to make it that way.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old May 26, 2011, 10:41 PM
Joined May 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
js....do yourself a favor and buy the newly released version 6 57" wingspan P-51 FMS or Airfiled from Nitroplanes. It's the best deal for an ARF out there, with plenty of online support and spare parts.....I don't think Banana Hobby or HobbyKing can compare with the parts support.
If I could find either in stock I would take your advice LICobra. You recommended them to me on a another thread (which I am eternally greatfull for) but I cannot find one available (out of stock) except RTF which I dont want.
Logger is offline Find More Posts by Logger
Old May 27, 2011, 06:50 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logger View Post
If I could find either in stock I would take your advice LICobra. You recommended them to me on a another thread (which I am eternally greatfull for) but I cannot find one available (out of stock) except RTF which I dont want.
Logger...I know NitroPlanes is already sold out of the Version 6 P-51 ARF as they sold out quickly because we were waiting for the release, but PW-RC and RCCastle also carry the FMS V6 P-51 in ARF/PNP trim but shipping will be a little more from HonkKong. PW-RC and RCCastle also carry spare parts for most of the FMS warbirds.

I realize Nitro Planes is here in the states, but you do have choices as both PW-RC and RCCastle have good customer support.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old May 27, 2011, 09:56 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,530 Posts
Are these not the V6 at Nitroplanes?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a333-14...-eretract.html

Those are the kit versions.

BH also has kit versions of the 61" and 63" Mustangs.

http://www.bananahobby.com/2087.html

http://www.bananahobby.com/2132.html

If you were buying the kit version which would you chose? You get to pick all the electronics at that point.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68