Old May 25, 2011, 05:30 AM
Chook Feed Trucker
Australia, SA, Smithfield
Joined May 2011
21 Posts
Discussion
ST Models - "Discovery" Trainer

Hi all...

i'm looking for a 4ch high wing trainer preferably with tricycle landing for my 2nd plane, i've been flying my Radian for a few weeks which has been great but would like step up to something with ailerons, and landing gear...

wondering if anyone has had any first hand experience, good or bad, with the ST Models Discovery Trainer, i can get a PNP version for a reasonable price, and use the DX5 tx/rx from the Radian to get it up and away...

i recently started building a pair of Condor trainers for myself and my son, but would rather face the learning curve with a electric foamie than something i've spent hours building from scratch, not to mention that it will probably take me a couple of months to complete the builds...

cheers
Ian...
icwoodsy is offline Find More Posts by icwoodsy
Last edited by icwoodsy; Jun 02, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,506 Posts
I don't know anything about the ST models.

But I can tell you from personal experience that tricycle landing gear sucks. My first plane was a HobbyZone Super cub LP, which has normal landing gear (tail wheel, steerable) and it taxi's around good. But then I got my second plane which was my E-Flite Alpha 450 Sport which is as well a high wing trainer and it has trike landing gear and it is a PIA to taxi. All it wants to do is dig the prop into the ground and tip over sideways. Its so bad that here lately I dont even taxi it at all, I just carry it out to the middle of the field, take off then carry it back to pits. Now dont get me wrong it takes off fine and lands great, but im just talking about general taxi around like from pits to field. This is definitely my last trike gear type plane. I may even consider converting to a tail dragger.

Hope this helps give you some insight on trike gear, or at least my views on it
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old May 25, 2011, 09:16 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined May 2010
124 Posts
The ST Model Discovery looks (from a cursor view at modelflight) like a fairly decent little trainer. My first 4ch was something similar, also available in Aus hobby stores - the EGO cessna. And, I have no problem whatsoever with a tricycle undercarriage, but have had plenty of propstrikes with my taildragger, so conlude it's largely dependent on plane and pilot.
Ben-M is offline Find More Posts by Ben-M
Old May 26, 2011, 01:46 AM
Chook Feed Trucker
Joined May 2011
21 Posts
thanks for the replies...

there are a couple of reasons why i am leaning toward the tricycle gear, firstly the Condors i'm building have tricycle gear, secondly i recently purchased Phoenix RC and am much better at landings than with the tail draggers, which seem to require a little more skill to land without bouncing down the runway. i realize it is a sim, and from my experience with the Radian, although the physics seem quite good its not the same as flying in the real world...

i'll give it a bit more thought but at $199 (AU) for the PNP version, and a floaty 1460mm wingspan it seems like a pretty good deal... might just have to grab a spare prop or two... just in case...

cheers
Ian...
Old May 26, 2011, 06:01 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
If a trike is digging in, it probably needs a larger front wheel.

For tail draggers, the problem is that if the main wheels touch first, as the tail comes down the incidence of the wing increases, increasing lift and making it bounce. The solution is to hold off the touchdown until the tail wheel is level with the main wheels.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old May 26, 2011, 07:04 AM
Chook Feed Trucker
Joined May 2011
21 Posts
thx for the advice... I'll have it a go on Phoenix when I get off work...

as for the trike gear I had figured that wheel size and surface would be a major factor in ground handling. a small wheel might be ok for hard surfaces, but not so good on grass... another case of 'size matters'...

cheers
Ian...
Old May 26, 2011, 07:29 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Yup. I forgot to say that although I've not seen the ST trainer taxi, it did look as if the wheels were rather small.

Personally I find that 3" wheels are about the smallest that work on our grass (a school playing field) but 4" are better.

(someone brought one of these models to a club meeting, but didn't fly it because it was really windy - so I'm sorry but I can't give you more useful advice)
Old May 27, 2011, 12:20 AM
Chook Feed Trucker
Joined May 2011
21 Posts
bit the bullet and ordered one today, should have it in 1 - 2 weeks...

will post some pics/vids when i get my hands on it...

cheers
Ian...
Old May 27, 2011, 02:37 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Cool, I was quite surprised that I couldn't find a review or thread about them.
Old May 27, 2011, 05:03 AM
Chook Feed Trucker
Joined May 2011
21 Posts
me too, doesn't seem to be much info on them at all, I did find a couple of videos on YouTube so I have confirmation that they fly...

normally the lack of info would put me off, but its quite a nice looking plane, and I don't mind a little pioneering from time to time...
Old May 27, 2011, 08:43 PM
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
Hi all, I just bought the ST Model Discovery on 24 May 2011. The most difficult part of assembly is the application of decals onto the plane. Other than that, everything else was a breeze. I just maidened the bird this morning with my wife taking some pics. Very easy to fly and I was very surprised that it only required a 3s 2200mah but it was tail heavy so one could either trim it out or buy a 2500mah for longer flight times and better CG. This is my first "cessna" as I previously destroyed 4 cloudfly before buying a skysurfer which is great. Then buying virus struck again so I bought this trainer. Recommended for beginners like myself but advance flyers may find this a little too slow for their liking.
feudallordcult is offline Find More Posts by feudallordcult
Old May 28, 2011, 04:56 AM
Chook Feed Trucker
Joined May 2011
21 Posts
thanks for the info... sounds like just what I was hoping for...
I had planed on grabbing a couple of larger batteries when I pick it up... according to the ad, the one I ordered comes with a 1800mah lipo, I may add a little weight to the nose before I set it free...

cheers
Ian...
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:28 PM
Australia, SA, Goolwa North
Joined Dec 2004
29 Posts
Hi Ian,

I maidened my Discovery last Monday at Milang.
Very stable model and quite enjoyable to fly. I managed 6 flights of about 3 minutes each on the fully charged stock battery. Kept the flights short in order to practice take off's and landing as have only flown gliders previously.

Then disappointment - after a 20 minute break, hooked up a fresh battery and got about 2 minutes of flying before the motor cut and had to come in dead stick.

I think the speed control has failed - when I switch on I get all the right beeps, then advance throttle and the prop does three or four kicks and stops.

Have tried reconfiguring the speed control with no luck.

Anyone have any information how to access the speed control?
It seems to me that I will have to slice off the complete cowl in order to unplug the speed control so that I can replace it.

Suggestions welcome.

Don
scarab is offline Find More Posts by scarab
Old Jun 02, 2011, 01:12 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined May 2010
124 Posts
The obvious question occurs - have you voltage checked the fresh battery? Were the servos working? My ESCs do similar things on a dead battery.
Ben-M is offline Find More Posts by Ben-M
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:27 AM
Australia, SA, Goolwa North
Joined Dec 2004
29 Posts
Yes, fully charged fresh battery, all controls working, speed controller gives 2 short beeps when switching on (to confirm brake mode is on). Then advance throttle stick - prop flicks backwards and forward several times then stops.

Don
scarab is offline Find More Posts by scarab