SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,557 Posts
HobbyKing stocked AVRisp mkII. And I asked the stupid question why they sell a programmer that costs double the price of one quadcontroller. And who answered?

Quote:
Anthony_Hand(569)
Coming...
We will have USB programmers for a few bucks soon, but this retail box set listed here was faster to stock and is sold as a service to customers that want to buy both together until the cheaper option is available.

Anthony_Hand(569)
In addition, we are working on an LCD flash tool right now that will allow in-field changes to your QUAD board without need for a PC.
The interesting thing is the second answer. Will they clone KK plus? Or MultiWii?

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:44 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post

The interesting thing is the second answer. Will they clone KK plus? Or MultiWii?

Christian
KKP clone? and Retail at $19.90??

maybe they will do it as I was asked to revise the price of KK P ... I am still trying to hold it around $24.99...

So likely you will see a little up in price fron Nov. But good news will be stock can be immediate. as I am getting the factory to do larger batch size now
dt8666 is offline Find More Posts by dt8666
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
HobbyKing stocked AVRisp mkII. And I asked the stupid question why they sell a programmer that costs double the price of one quadcontroller. And who answered?
Finally they saw the light that USPASP is junk ^^
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:53 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Share info please, amazing stable flight, what are you using for a frame , motors , props, which board and which firmware?
I need also a stable one

Please share info
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:08 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Finally they saw the light that USPASP is junk ^^
Maybe in your eyes. I have both and for re-flashing a quad-firmware it is best choice. If you are a developer you may like the mkII more because you can also do some measuments with it and more advanced things.

But I think they just copied the manual from Niall and didn't take a minute to search for alternatives. So they took mkII.

Christian
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Nah, mkII is faster, supports PDI, did I mention its supported by proper tools? (i.e. not avrdude?
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:20 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
452 Posts
newbie looking for build pics

Hi

I have a HK KK v2 board and I am looking for pics of the actual physical connections for a quad.

Ther are plenty of descriptions etc but I cannot locate a full step by step guide.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Graham
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:45 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Nah, mkII is faster, supports PDI, did I mention its supported by proper tools? (i.e. not avrdude?
Show me one proper tool. And why is avrdude not proper?
I am quiet sure for a firmware update you need no PDI.

Christian
Last edited by LazyZero; Oct 21, 2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:00 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLittle View Post
Help?
looks like your LCD is RIP and your LCD controller may be able to give it a try to reflash the firmware and hope you are in luck.
dt8666 is offline Find More Posts by dt8666
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Frame : wood, broken 100 times..., build it light!!!
motors : Turnigy 20 TURNIGY 2204-14T 19G OUTRUNNER, maltreated ... on 2S with Turnigy Plush 10A
props : H8012A 8X4R PROPELLERS (counter ROTATING) (5PCS/BAG), need to be balanced! Bent several times...
This is how i do it

Board : KK v5.5 smd, WM+ (invensense IDG's gyro's 440/s (4.5x output))
The best KK board regarding extensions afaik is Dan's KKPlus. I have one and will put the firmware on it to see how it behaves with Murata Piezo gyro's
Firmware : mine, "stole" all info and ideas from the web and the help from some people (they know...) added a little salt and some pepper, and by "chance" and a lot of experimenting came with the right values...
For now, i can set following parameters via the transmitter (don't use the pots anymore):
  • PID control loop for Roll/Pitch and Yaw
  • I limit for Roll/Pitch and Yaw
  • Stick responsiveness for Roll/Pitch and Yaw, this one I like the most and does not affect the stability. This is a huge help in flying.
I like flying aggressively, and in the past i crashed a lot. Now, with the PID i hardly crash anymore!

So to get a stable multi :
  • Build it light and power it accordingly
  • Experiment and get the right PID values! They will differ for each multicopter.

I still don't know what i am gonna do with the soft. As said already to some privately, I am not going to dish it out on the web just like that. I am more in favor for the give-give principle. Share it with people i "know" or that i will know better in the future, people i trust...

manuLRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
Share info please, amazing stable flight, what are you using for a frame , motors , props, which board and which firmware?
I need also a stable one

Please share info
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:15 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,923 Posts
NeXtcopter open-source release for KK boards

Hi guys. Sorry to spam this thread but I have made a new thread about my "NeXtcopter" open source C-based code for KK boards. This branch of the codebase includes PID control on all axis. Have a look at the thread here for all the details, a full technical description, info about the GPL V3, videos, pictures and of course all the source code and .hex files.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:33 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Dish it out on the web...

Hi,

I hope i will not offend anybody in my sayings: just take it as a subject to think about.

You remember i said "i don't want to dish it out on the web just like that" ...

Again, don't take it bad or personally "You"=anybody!

"You"=me go on the web, collect all you need, re-arrange it, "put your name on it", and change the rules how we are supposed to use it...
Strange no?

It is not about source code, its about "features" and experience.

PID, nice, its not more then 3 lines of code...
but explain its behavior with analogy to something that everybody can understand. Then non-coders will be to contribute.
Hint:
I=Past, P=Present D=Future
And when you can't explain it simply, you didn't understood it...

manuLRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Hi guys. Sorry to spam this thread but I have made a new thread about my "NeXtcopter" open source C-based code for KK boards. This branch of the codebase includes PID control on all axis. Have a look at the thread here for all the details, a full technical description, info about the GPL V3, videos, pictures and of course all the source code and .hex files.
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Last edited by alll; Oct 22, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:43 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
"You"=me go on the web, collect all you need, re-arrange it, "put your name on it", and change the rules how we are supposed to use it...
Strange no?
Pure re-arrangement is not enough to put a new license on a open source software, that is sure. But some people do it anyway. So I understand the constraints of Manu.

But everybody is free to implement a software that is doing the same as a already available software. As long as he is not copy and pasting the sources, he has "created" it and holds the Intellectual Property (IP). But if it is a deviative work of an other open source software it underlays the rules of the original software. Depending on the the original license you can print your name on it, give it a new name, but you have to keep the license and have to quote the original authors.

So if "anyone" uses code of Mike or Rolf and rework and extend it, there will come up a legal problem, because these two firmwares have no license agreement yet. As long they have no license they have to be handled as proprietary software (with readable source code). In theory you are not allowed to make a deviated work out of it and license it under a new license.

But if your work is unique enough you are free to license it. The problem with open source is how to protect it. I think nobody here has the means to go for a law case. So the community should rule that itself and support the original authors, not the copycats.

I appreciate every initiative in new development to carry it out, to make the platform Rolf created the best for fun flying or what every you wanna do with.

Best Christian
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:54 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll
Strange no?
By "change the rules" do you mean the GPL? I asked both Rolf and Mike for their blessing before doing so. Do you know that Rolf never wanted the code to become closed? His comments in the original code were quite clear on that. I give full credit to the main contributors in my code. There are no secrets. Making your code open just to friends is not making it open.
Releasing the code under the GPL is the best for everyone.
None of the code for this tired, old microcontroller is new. This is the lowest entry-level flight controller out there. Developers like us should share this simple code with whoever wants to try it.
Whether or not the users understand PID or not is completely irrelevant.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:58 AM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,923 Posts
Thanks Christian,

The code base I used had no copyright and no license. Now it is both protected from those who wish to close it
Again, all credits in the code are still there.