36 Posts
I just measured again, it´s 1.7X
and no, i don´t have the LCD.
SKIPPER2384 is offline Find More Posts by SKIPPER2384
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:44 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
did you measure the other gyro also the same?
dt8666 is offline Find More Posts by dt8666
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:54 PM
Joined Jul 2004
312 Posts
This was my second ever attempt at flying outside so don't rip me too hard. I'm not sure really if I have the gyro settings correct or not. I seem to get drift. It was calm outside and it seemed like sometimes it would hover in the same place quite easily yet other times it seemed like I needed to apply left trim to the roll and up trim to the pitch. I just seemed like every time I got it to hover it would eventually want to start drifting. Is this due to the gryos used on this board? Or just my crappy piloting skills. Not sure if I should increase the gain ont he gyros or not.

Notice that near the end I tried to take off without the quad being level and I looped it crashed.

Up until today I'd been playing in the basement but I decided to throw caution to the wind and try to fly it.

Anotehr problem I had is that I felt like I had to constantly work from behind the copter. I started feeling uncomfortable when the yaw would change and my orientation would get screwed up. I remember this happening 10 years ago when I learned to fly fixed wing. I eventually got over it and I suppose I'll get more comfortable with the quad as well.

Second ever quadcopter flight (3 min 49 sec)
coomarlin is offline Find More Posts by coomarlin
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coomarlin View Post
This was my second ever attempt at flying outside so don't rip me too hard. I'm not sure really if I have the gyro settings correct or not. I seem to get drift. It was calm outside and it seemed like sometimes it would hover in the same place quite easily yet other times it seemed like I needed to apply left trim to the roll and up trim to the pitch. I just seemed like every time I got it to hover it would eventually want to start drifting. Is this due to the gryos used on this board? Or just my crappy piloting skills. Not sure if I should increase the gain ont he gyros or not.

Notice that near the end I tried to take off without the quad being level and I looped it crashed.

Up until today I'd been playing in the basement but I decided to throw caution to the wind and try to fly it.

Anotehr problem I had is that I felt like I had to constantly work from behind the copter. I started feeling uncomfortable when the yaw would change and my orientation would get screwed up. I remember this happening 10 years ago when I learned to fly fixed wing. I eventually got over it and I suppose I'll get more comfortable with the quad as well.

http://vimeo.com/27381012
good second flight.
cough drift? welcome to the world of peizo murata gyros

yes orientation takes time to learn some learn faster then others. before you know it you will be chasing me
AfroFlight AFRO CTRL v1.39c Quadcopter FUN LOOPING DAY! PART 2 (6 min 10 sec)
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:41 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,938 Posts
Quote:

You lasted longer than me on my second flight

You shouldn't expect position hold from a gyro-only quad. There will always be small air currents to send it one way or another.

If however it starts to move in a constant direction from a level attitude by itself, chances are the gyros have aclimatised.
You can see this by dis-arming and then looking at the gyro diagnostics in the menu.
At rest, they should have a nett zero output (or +/-1 max).
The process of re-arming re-calibrates them so the drift *should* disapear.
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Well said Mike,

KK is designed for Simple, low cost, no complicated setup and a cool sport model fun.

A little drift sgould be acceptable given the setup cost is very much at the bottom level.

Have fun
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Jul 2004
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
good second flight.
cough drift? welcome to the world of peizo murata gyros

yes orientation takes time to learn some learn faster then others. before you know it you will be chasing me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kGvnWpvIKc
Wow. Thats some impressive flying. Would love ot be able to do that someday but for now I'll be content to fix my orientation issues and just keep it in the air
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:37 PM
Joined Jul 2004
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
You lasted longer than me on my second flight

You shouldn't expect position hold from a gyro-only quad. There will always be small air currents to send it one way or another.

If however it starts to move in a constant direction from a level attitude by itself, chances are the gyros have aclimatised.
You can see this by dis-arming and then looking at the gyro diagnostics in the menu.
At rest, they should have a nett zero output (or +/-1 max).
The process of re-arming re-calibrates them so the drift *should* disapear.
Yeah I was kind of aware that these gyros aren't the best. If I had more experience flying different boards I might know what to expect. Is it the atmospheric conditions (temp and humidity) that cause the gyros to drift? I will try rearming more often to reset them.

Can you tell from the video if my gain is where it should be?

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:16 PM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Hmmmmm. The LCD display started out ok, but now it has changed to 38400
I cant seem to reset/changes it back !??
Have been reading the read-Me file, but it wont change baud rate no matter what i try !
AARRG !!

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
This was my second ever attempt at flying outside so don't rip me too hard.
Actually not too bad for a second flight. You *do* know that all kk-boards are in "heading-hold" mode for all axises, right? I.e. once you push stick to left and release, quad tilts left, it will STAY left until you apply equal amount of right stick. Same for forward/backward direction. The only channel not affected by this is yaw. There is no auto-level or hover etc. Yes, the yaw gyro will drift more than something more modern. Pitch/roll shouldn't be so bad, but you do need to make sure to keep it in same temperature range while flying - don't take it out from a cool room out in the summer sun - it WILL flip immediately. Let it sit outside for a few min to adjust to the outside temp. (Do this before powering things, or make sure to arm/disarm to calibrate gyros right before flight).
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:52 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
Have been reading the read-Me file, but it wont change baud rate no matter what i try !
!! AARRG !!

Kai
And i dont have a usb-series adapter thingi :-/
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I was kind of aware that these gyros aren't the best. If I had more experience flying different boards I might know what to expect. Is it the atmospheric conditions (temp and humidity) that cause the gyros to drift? I will try rearming more often to reset them.

Can you tell from the video if my gain is where it should be?

Thanks for the help.
I believe you can dial in a little more gain.
and from your flip, that looks like a moment of not enough speed yet for the correction. as you took off not level, once up you may have over or under correct the level. compounded with your potential lower the power due to the moment of shock that it will seems going to crash.

Always remember that the multi rotor need prop speed for any correction. if any power down will only add to instability. But the cautions is more power also might cause more damage if not stop at the right time. so this is a balance game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
AARRG !!

Kai
Hi Kai,
Read the first page and I have a video os showing how to reset the baud rate to 9600. you need a normal serial link connection. If you dont have one yet, try to get one from your computer shop, that should also work.

Some thing like this
Last edited by dt8666; Aug 06, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:59 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8666 View Post
I believe you can dial in a little more gain.
and from your flip, that looks like a moment of not enough speed yet for the correction. as you took off not level, once up you may have over or under correct the level. compounded with your potential lower the power due to the moment of shock that it will seems going to crash.

Always remember that the multi rotor need prop speed for any correction. if any power down will only add to instability. But the cautions is more power also might cause more damage if not stop at the right time. so this is a balance game.

Hi Kai,
Read the first page and I have a video os showing how to reset the baud rate to 9600. you need a normal serial link connection. If you dont have one yet, try to get one from your computer shop, that should also work.
It's Sunday tomorrow, nothing open
Was hoping for a maiden !!!

Kai
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:06 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
good second flight.

Well, you dont need a board with ACC to do those flip. in fact w/o that is much easier to do those sport flights.

Look at how Warthox's flight on the KK board like a dream

So the net is, lets start step by step. As you said, if you practice that often, soon you will be the master of the flip and not crash.

If his video is the 2nd flight from 1st timer, that is a very good performer.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:17 AM
Penguins can´t fly?
Germany, SH, Glückstadt
Joined Jan 2011
36 Posts
@Dan
The other Gyros are fine 1.34V
SKIPPER2384 is offline Find More Posts by SKIPPER2384