HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:34 PM
Lavishly Winged Dork
Miami, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coomarlin View Post
Just feels like I'm trying to balance a basketball on a broom handle (well maybe thats an exageration but it does feel squirelly.)
Have you tried messing with your Tx expo? Read somewhere where it was suggested to someone with similar problem.
JohnnyDeluxe is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyDeluxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:34 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,026 Posts
Quote:
THanks, I will remove the props and try your suggestions. My controls seem to be moving the quad in the correct direction when I apply them. Pitch, roll, and yaw. Just feels like I'm trying to balance a basketball on a broom handle (well maybe thats an exageration but it does feel squirelly.)
When using the Diagnostics method, you need to remember that gyros respond to acceleration about an axis.
So when you tilt copter forward you intially accelerate it but then invariably decelerate it. So gyro adjust will add, but then quickly subtract.
Make sure you read it on the accelerate.

Regarding PID, for you I suggest you simply change the Gyro gain % in the Setup:Basic/Gyro menu option.
Forget PID for now - it just complicates things....

Sorry, but I'm not sure quite what squirelly means whan applied to a copter
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Last edited by Mike Barton; Aug 02, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spellnig
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:49 PM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
I tried a few things. First off I held the quad from the bottom and advanced the throttle to just under a hover. I tried tilting the quad along the roll and pitch axis. I felt resistance in both directions. I then got into the controll menu and looked at the gain numbers. The roll was set to 55% and I upped it to 90%. The pitch was set to 90% and I left it there. The Yaw was set to 50% and I left it there. Do these values seem normal or should they go further?

I attempted to fly again in my basement and to my surprise it felt much better. I was still afraid to take it more than 4 feet off the ground. I played around for about 10 minutes trying to get the feel of it. So I let it rest and replaced the battery and took it outside in the yard. Outside the quad felt more unstable. It wasn't windy so I'm not sure why.

I noticed in the perfectly calm basement that it seemed like I need to apply a couple of clicks of right roll trim and a little back pitch trim. I set my smartphone up to take a video and realized after I stopped flying that I had forgot to press record. I had ahard landing and I thought it must be time to quit before I tore it up.

Bottom line I still think it needs properly adjusted and tweaked. But it's generally set up properly and my problems are pilot related. I remember feelign this way when I learned to fly RC planes 11 years ago.

I also set my roll and pitch expo to -70. That also seemed to help. Should I also set expo on yaw and throttle?
coomarlin is offline Find More Posts by coomarlin
Last edited by coomarlin; Aug 02, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:02 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,026 Posts
Quote:
I tried a few things. First off I held the quad from the bottom and advanced the throttle to just under a hover. I tried tilting the quad along the roll and pitch axis. I felt resistance in both directions. I then got into the controll menu and looked at the gain numbers. The roll was set to 55% and I upped it to 90%. The pitch was set to 90% and I left it there. The Yaw was set to 50% and I left it there. Do these values seem normal or should they go further?

I attempted to fly again in my basement and to my surprise it felt much better. I was still afraid to take it more than 4 feet off the ground. I played around for about 10 minutes trying to get the feel of it. So I let it rest and replaced the battery and took it outside in the yard. Outside the quad felt more unstable. It wasn't windy so I'm not sure why.
The gyro gain may be a little high, but since no quad is ever exactly the same, difficult to say.

You may find that it flys ok in your basement on this setting, but outside, it may oscillate (basically, it over-compensates) out of control when you perform brisk manouvers.
If it does this, you need to turn the gain down until stable.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:14 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,569 Posts
I am a little bit confused. Which of the imges shows the correct wiring for the LCD?

or

Best Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:23 AM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
I am a little bit confused. Which of the imges shows the correct wiring for the LCD?

or

Best Christian
For version 1.5 I wire it like your bottom picture. I put the red wire on pin 2, the white wire on pin 9 and the black wire on pin 10. Works fine. I don't use a clip like the one you show. I just put the pins in individually
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:29 AM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
Concerning the LVA..... I'm using a 3 cell lipo. Should I set the LVA for 10.8V. As far as calibration is concerned should I connect the battery and then use a multimeter to measure the voltage coming from the distribution board and then enter it into the program menu?
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:49 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Concerning the LVA..... I'm using a 3 cell lipo. Should I set the LVA for 10.8V.
Setting it to 10.8V would obviously mean 3.6V per cell.
You will probably find that the alarm sounds early as under high throttle manouvers, the voltage will dip.
I would probably go for slightly lower but this is personal preference tho'

Quote:
As far as calibration is concerned should I connect the battery and then use a multimeter to measure the voltage coming from the distribution board and then enter it into the program menu?
Correct - in the Calibration option, it shows what it thinks the battery voltage is, so, if it's not quite right (due to component tolerances etc), just adjust it.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:50 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,569 Posts
Okay that is the problem. I used the upper image from the 1 Post. and connected the LCD input to 8, I think this was mentioned in one post.

Best Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:57 AM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Setting it to 10.8V would obviously mean 3.6V per cell.
You will probably find that the alarm sounds early as under high throttle manouvers, the voltage will dip.
I would probably go for slightly lower but this is personal preference tho'
Okay. So since Lipo's shouldn't go below 3.0V per cell Maybe I should set it for 3.2V/cell or 9.6V total? What setting do you guys use?
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I usually alarm at 10.3V just to be safe.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Oct 2007
8 Posts
LCD help

hi can anyone help! i have connected the lcd and power supply. the lcd comes on, shows smart LCD, then baud rate then nothing. Tried two boards. both the same
helixjones is offline Find More Posts by helixjones
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:55 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helixjones View Post
hi can anyone help! i have connected the lcd and power supply. the lcd comes on, shows smart LCD, then baud rate then nothing. Tried two boards. both the same
What is the baud rate on the display ?

Is the LED on the KK board flashing every 4 or 5 seconds ?
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined Oct 2007
8 Posts
Baud is 9600 and led is not flashing
helixjones is offline Find More Posts by helixjones
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:12 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helixjones View Post
Baud is 9600 and led is not flashing
OK
Does the LED flash ever when you power on ?
There *should* be an initial 'I'm Alive' flash when you connect power.