SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:14 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Kk Plus - programming

Sorry to be such a pain in the butt

The question remains - can I use this hex file "XX15f_TRI_M168_EN.hex" downloaded from:

http://www.multircshop.com/site/inde...rmation_id=8??

While we are waiting, here is a clip from my first trip to the flying field with my brand new tricopter - built from David's excellent instructions at http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricop...copterv25.html

Tri 201111 - Skaflestad - YouTube.mp4 (2 min 38 sec)

/Jan
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
Last edited by jhi; Nov 22, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:24 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhi View Post
Sorry to be such a pain in the butt

The question remains - can I use this hex file "XX15f_TRI_M168_EN.hex" downloaded from:

/Jan
Jan

yes you can use that firmware on any KK board, but, you will need a Serial LCD to use it.

nice vid BTW
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:54 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Jan

yes you can use that firmware on any KK board, but, you will need a Serial LCD to use it.

nice vid BTW
Mike:
Thank you! What is the latest firmware for my KK board - I have only this USB adapter, see my previous post - is it the tricopter firmware that came with my board (early this month)?

g00bd0g:
Very nice build! Is that carbon fiber? Looking forward to see it in the air..
BTW - I noticed we have the same motors - plenty of power!

/Jan
Last edited by jhi; Nov 22, 2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Spelling....
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:14 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Mike:
Thank you! What is the latest firmware for my KK board - I have only this USB adapter, see my previous post - is it the tricopter firmware that came with my board (early this month)?

/Jan
If you are currently using XX15 firmware, you can see what the version is:
In the menu: when you see:
Copter: TRI
TxRoll Right and then once again.

It's probably XX15e (Latest is XX15f)
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
If you are currently using XX15 firmware, you can see what the version is:
In the menu: when you see:
Copter: TRI
TxRoll Right and then once again.

It's probably XX15e (Latest is XX15f)
Thanks again!

Sorry for beeing so dense, but I dont have the serial LCD adapter (I am a cheapskate :-)) - so I am not able to see the menu you refer to..??

Anyway, I take it that I can upload the newest firmware (XX15f) to my board with my USB Serial Adapter and the program "KKPlus_Tool V1.23.exe", I just cannot program it since I dont have the LCD. Still - I am happy with the potmeters!

/Jan
Last edited by jhi; Nov 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:30 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again!

Sorry for beeing so dense, but I dont have the serial LCD adapter (I am a cheapskate :-)) - so I am not able to see the menu you refer to..??

Anyway, I take it that I can upload the newest firmware (XX15f) to my board with my USB Serial Adapter and the program "KKPlus_Tool V1.23.exe", I just cannot program it since I dont have the LCD. Still - I am happy with the potmeters!

/Jan
Jan

sorry I mis-understood

You don't need the Serial LCD for programming (flashing) the firmware.
You do need it to change the configuration settings of the XX15 (<-edit) software,

If you are using the XX15 firmware, the pots do not work, to change the gyro gain, it must be done in the menu !
I'm thinking you may be running other firmware (Minsoo perhaps) ?
Last edited by Mike Barton; Nov 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarified - see edit
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:10 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Jan

sorry I mis-understood

You don't need the Serial LCD for programming (flashing) the firmware.
You do need it to change the configuration settings of the software,

If you are using the XX15 firmware, the pots do not work, to change the gyro gain, it must be done in the menu !
I'm thinking you may be running other firmware (Minsoo perhaps) ?
OK - I should have been more specific about my order. I have gone back and checked it - this is what I selected (at http://www.multircshop.com/site/inde...product_id=591 )
- Flash firmware option: KK Tri V.1.6
- USB Linker bundle: USB Linker for KK+ Flash

A bad choice I guess if I wanted to change the firmware to a Quad for instance, or have the latest and greatest..
I shall order a LCD in the future, and maybe also a second KK Plus.

Now I shall go and sit in the corner...

/Jan
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Jan, if you have the 'USB Linker for KK+ Flash' you should be able to flash any firmware you want: QUAD/TRI/HEX etc

You only need the Serial LCD for my XX15d/e/f firmwares.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:51 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
1) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355 + my input, build it light for fun flying
2) ideally tune the pid values via the transmitter while copter is in the air
, bit less good, set a pid values *** easilly and accurate *** via the transmitter while copter is on the ground
, bit "worse" via LCD
, worse via the pots ...
thanks, i have read it the index, but what i miss ( or i overlooked it ) is what size ( diameter of quad) is the best for a quadcopter ,e.g. 55cm 70cm ??
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
thanks, i have read it the index, but what i miss ( or i overlooked it ) is what size ( diameter of quad) is the best for a quadcopter ,e.g. 55cm 70cm ??
I have only experience in small quads (less then 55cm and around 350 - 500 grams)

manu
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:44 PM
Southern Sweden
Joined May 2011
120 Posts
I have a mysterious error on my KK card. Motor M1 and M3 does not fire up with the others. They start spin at allmost full throttle. It's not the ESC nor the motors. If I swap ESC and motors it's still port M1 and M3. It does not matter what motor or ESC I'm running on M1 or M3, they both refuse to work normally. When spinning all four motors up at allmost full throttle, M1 and M3 gradually looses spin and stops after less than a minute. I have flashed the card with the latest XX15e_QUADX_M168_EN.hex file.

Any clue to what's wrong?

Quote:
Jan, if you have the 'USB Linker for KK+ Flash' you should be able to flash any firmware you want: QUAD/TRI/HEX etc
You only need the Serial LCD for my XX15d/e/f firmwares.
I just saw your message... Does this mean that I cannot flash my KK using the USB Linker with the mentioned firmware, the one I used to flash it.... I'm confused..... Were is the file I need to have for flashing. I can only find the XX15e_ files on the download section.

regards

Lasse
radioactives is offline Find More Posts by radioactives
Last edited by radioactives; Nov 22, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactives View Post
I have a mysterious error on my KK card. Motor M1 and M3 does not fire up with the others. They start spin at almost full throttle. It's not the ESC nor the motors. If I swap ESC and motors it's still port M1 and M3. It does not matter what motor or ESC I'm running on M1 or M3, they both refuse to work normally. When spinning all four motors up at allmost full throttle, M1 and M3 gradually looses spin and stops after less than a minute. I have flashed the card with the latest XX15e_QUADX_M168_EN.hex file.

Any clue to what's wrong?
Lasse

Sounds very much like your Yaw gyro is not working.

Please go into Diagnostic/Gyro/Yaw to see what the Nett output is (the right-most number) which should be ~0 when still.
If it is 0, check that it is working by twisting the board.

Quote:
I just saw your message... Does this mean that I cannot flash my KK using the USB Linker with the mentioned firmware, the one I used to flash it.... I'm confused..... Where is the file I need to have for flashing. I can only find the XX15e_ files on the download section.
Yeah - I'm confused too !

I'm assuming that the USB Linker thing is a USB flasher which will allow you o flash any firmware onto the board (don't need LCD to do this!)

The XX15f firmware is in the XX15f zip file
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:18 PM
Southern Sweden
Joined May 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Lasse
Sounds very much like your Yaw gyro is not working.

Please go into Diagnostic/Gyro/Yaw to see what the Nett output is (the right-most number) which should be ~0 when still.
If it is 0, check that it is working by twisting the board.

Thanks for the link! To check the gyro I assume I need the LCD?

Regards

Lasse
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the link! To check the gyro I assume I need the LCD?

Regards

Lasse
since you said 'I have flashed the card with the latest XX15e_QUADX_M168_EN.hex file' I assumed you had one

Alternatively, dust off the multi-meter and check those voltages.....
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:27 PM
Southern Sweden
Joined May 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
since you said 'I have flashed the card with the latest XX15e_QUADX_M168_EN.hex file' I assumed you had one

Alternatively, dust off the multi-meter and check those voltages.....
I'm one of those lousy readers and never pay attention... so I got most of the instructions wrong, trying to flash that hex file.

I'll check the gyro voltage in the morning... and maybe buy a LCD. It might be useful...

Regards

Lasse