SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by DreamArcher, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 24, 2011, 09:25 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Mini-Review
Airfield 1400mm P-47

In the air it's a dream.

Taxi and Takeoff:
Taxi is easy and straight. On takeoff it likes to turn left on full power and then straighten up after the vertical stab gets some traction through the air. It's a little tough to deal with because the rudder is mostly ineffective at lower speed. Not too bad because the turn is very predicable always at the same speed and about 10-15 deg. Just hammer full right with the throttle and then let it off after 1-2 seconds to minimize turn.

Battery sizing:
I've read some people use motors with about double the watts of the stock and 5000mah batteries. I wanted to keep the power stock to dog-fight with my buddy in his stock BF-109 and keep it even. Also didn't want it too heavy so I bought a few 3000 mah batteries. IMO these are too small for the stock setup and here's why. The Thud is no speed demon and requires significant throttle to just fly at a moderate pace so flight times are pretty low. 4-5 minutes flying solo and cursing around. 3-4 minutes if flying aggressively. I already bought 3 batteries so I'll live with it but in hindsight I'd go with 3600 mah for the stock motor.

Power & Speed:
I said it wasn't super fast and no where near my buddies BF-109 but it's no sloth either. At full power it is a lot of fun and might have 1:1 power-to-weight. Not sure because it will go from low level at 2/3 throttle to vertical at WOT as far as I've wanted. Just not sure if it will climb indefinitely.

Dog Fighting:
Just like the real thing. Don't let it's size fool you. This baby will turn and burn without bleeding much speed. This is probably it's best aspect. It can take the BF-109 if the pilot is up to it. Just turn and yank and it seems like it's on rails.

Landing: Keep some power on and bleed it off slowly. Power-off landings it can slow fast and then drop like a rock.

Tail Wheel:
Pissing me off. Cross wind 90 deg to the runway is normal at my field and stripped the tail wheel servo by the 3rd flight. I did a repair and changed the linkage but got beat up again today. I think the root cause is the trailing-arm is so long it causes a very large amount of torque. I'm just going to go with a 20 gram metal gear servo and direct linkage.

Stock Hardware:
Crap. Besides the tail wheel issue, 4 of the 8 screws that mount the retracts to the plate fell out before I noticed. I guess they never heard of thread lock at the factory.

Overall:
I like it and will deal with the small problems (tail wheel mostly) until I'm satisfied. I'd buy another one but get the bare-bones kit and just put my hardware.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
to remove ads between posts