SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
This is a video of an afternoon of buzzing with my stinger and other EDFs yesterday.
The buzzing gets closer as the video progresses as it is mostly in chronological order. The stinger tracks the best. It is also the quietest as I had balanced the fan but not on the other planes. I got to find some time to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbFuLj6hOrg
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
Low pass

A friend took the picture and did the color effects.
Sorry, tried to post a photo but is too big.
AlvaSpeed is offline Find More Posts by AlvaSpeed
Last edited by AlvaSpeed; Apr 22, 2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: photo size
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:37 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I am getting the Bananahobby Stinger (pnp) in a couple of days. This is my first edf and I'm curious if anyone will share some pointers with me as far as setup etc. I'll be using a Spektrum rx and have a good selection of batteries 1500-2200 (3s). Thanks!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
it's a pain to read from the start, but it's impossible to answer your question. What's good for one person might not be good for you. Since this is your first EDF, run it stock. There's PLENTY get up and go. I'd go with an 1800 40c if you can, I think it runs the best on that size. It will go up to 4s, but starts getting heavy, even with a 2200 3S. When you are ready to move up to something faster, The Don can set you up with the 4S gear. This is a great plane!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Thanks Porcia, I saw 99 pages and my eyes started glazing over around 30-35. I don't have any 1800's, but I do have a couple 2000-2100's, but nothing above 25C at this point. It looks like I should make up another order. I'm not looking for absolute top end speed at this point. Just a nice entry into EDF's. It sounds like I picked the right one!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:00 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
The Dynam Meteor is another good one, I don't think they have it anymore but Grayson Hobby does. The stinger is nice, but can be very fast, and might get away from you. Start with low rates once you're in the air, it turns on a dime and while pretty steady, will tip stall and roll out in an instant if you let it.

Value Hobby has excellent deals on 1800 batteries, and they come with Deans already on them. Hobbypartz and HK of course have good deals too.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:11 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Thanks, I have flown some speeders, just no edfs until now. Value hobby is definitely on my list of 'go to' vendors!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,096 Posts
If you've flown some quick aircraft then this on 3S should not be a problem. It provides very honest performance on 3S 2200 and is still reasonably light. On 4S it's close to 100mph, gets small fast and the landings are long and floaty. Keep the speed up a little on finals to aviod tip stalls (especially on heavier 4S packs). I also programmed in about 1-2mm of aileron reflex to help prevent tip stall but not sure it really needs it.

Build tips - thrust tube is a great way to improve performance. Straighten out the aileron push rods as per Don's suggestion. Nothing else really to do. My CG is 10mm aft of the stock location as I found it dropped the nose a lot in turns and required lots of down elevator during inverted flight. Others have found the stock CG fine.

Overall it's a great little fun plane that goes EXACTLY where you point it. Enjoy.
vanderbrander is online now Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
Broken Arrow, Okla
Joined Oct 2010
87 Posts
Don't get to attached to the trim and the decals on the Stinger. Seems like after the first flight they start to fall off with little effort.
16-1800 packs will help with the launch, slightly lighter and flys away better.
J3 guy is offline Find More Posts by J3 guy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:45 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I wonder if a quick spray of wbpu would keep the decals on?

Thanks for the pointers fellas. I can't wait for this one to arrive.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
I dont think so, I belive that it is releesing agent left on the EPO.
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:52 PM
Today is a good day to fly.
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc View Post
I am getting the Bananahobby Stinger (pnp) in a couple of days. This is my first edf and I'm curious if anyone will share some pointers with me as far as setup etc. I'll be using a Spektrum rx and have a good selection of batteries 1500-2200 (3s). Thanks!
The Stinger 64 was my first EDF and I found it to be easy to assemble. The control surfaces were tight (a good tight) and responsive. A friend hand-launched for me and you will be fine as long as you give her a lot of throttle and up elevator at launch. If you use a 2200mAh battery, the weight might give you some launch trouble. I found 1600mAh to balance well.

I flew her on a Spektrum DX5e with no expo available and a jittery elevator stick and did just fine. If you have a DX6i or DX7 you will have an easier time than me.

Orientation might be a problem with the paint scheme. She's small and gets tiny in a hurry, so try to keep her within your best visual range at first, preferable with the sun at your back.

Watch the nose, on a rough landing it tends to snap off. And when you put any tape on the hatch or anywhere else, the paint will come right off when it lifts. (Also, don't a friend push his nails into the foam to see how strong it is. It will dent and he won't be such a good friend anymore.)

After a few flights, I put 2 inch clear packing tape on the leading edge of the wings. It keeps twigs and stickers from poking into the foam.

PS--Also, while your waiting, be sure to make an adapter for the ESC to match your batteries, my Stinger came with the XT60 connector on the ESC.

Enjoy your Stinger!
networker is offline Find More Posts by networker
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:08 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Networker, thanks a bunch! Great input, and I will heed your advice. I have a dx6i, and am picking up a few batteries. Where did you get your stinger from? That may dictate the connector?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:16 PM
Today is a good day to fly.
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
You're welcome. I got mine from the Hobby King (USA warehouse). They are fond of the XT60.

-Tony
networker is offline Find More Posts by networker
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I can always solder a new connector. Mine is from banana hobby.