HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:23 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSelf View Post
thanks I will contact the Don and see what he says- thanks- was hoping for a set up that will run well on both 3S and 4S ideally- shame the HK setup won't run well on 3S..
GWS fan and ERC 2445 3700kv with a thrust tube. Very efficient setup but a bit more expensive than the Don's wicked (which are good setups).

I run my setup on 3S and 4S 2200. On 3S it's relaxing and fun. It flies just fine with reasonable speed but lacks the vertical punch and flat out speed of the 4S, which is close to 100mph and loads of fun. All the guys at my flying field comment on how fast it is.

If you don't want to spend the extra money, a Don's wicked

http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=62

is the way to go for 3S and 4S
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,971 Posts
Wanting a good 3S and a good 4S on one setup is difficult, the reason is physics, when you go from 3S to 4S the total watts go up by a factor of at least 1.8 sometimes closer to 2. So a good 3S setup would be about 400 watts so running 4S will mean that the 3S setup will now run at least 720 watts, in reality closer to 800 watts as most 3S setups are smaller motors and are just making heat at that watt levels, and most 64mm setups will not handle both conditions and most likely will also fry the ESC as the amps go up as well as people forget to up the ESC rating when going 4S from 3S.

A good 4S setup say 600 watts or so will be about 300-330 watts on 3S which is OK but not as good as 400 watts. So you really kind of have to pick one or the other. If you go good 3S you will probably fry the motor on 4S and then a good 4S will be moderate on 3S. Now having said that it is possible to have a good 64mm 3S/4S but it comes at a cost, weight. The motor and fan for the ~800 watt 4S setup and the associated 60 amp ESC is fairly heavy when you drop down to 3S flying. So I tell my customers to pick 3S or 4S. Those who want good sporty performance (more than stock power )take the 3S setup, 40 amp ESC, and fly on a 3S 2200 with a lower AUW. Those who want the extra speed like 100-105 mph I tell go 4S and 4S 2200 lipo and 60 amp ESC , but they will have extra weight to carry on this setup.

But if you are OK with stock power/performance on 3S but want it to handle 4S later and not worry about the motor melting down from the extra power of 4S then I do have a setup for that. If you want better than stock performance on 3S and also want to run on 4S then that where it gets tricky.

Hope this makes sense :-)

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Apr 03, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:40 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,092 Posts
Good response Don. Thanks.

Like I said, mine flies OK on 3S but you do find yourself using the throttle a lot more often. I'll normally only fly 3S while I'm waiting for a 4S battery to charge. It's not ideal but it does fly just fine.
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:47 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,971 Posts
You know what that means... buy more batteries
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:56 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
thanks all- found this great motor/fan combo- which seems perfect for both 3S and 4S but of course is out of stock: http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-adf64-28m-4500kv.html
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:57 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Wanting a good 3S and a good 4S on one setup is difficult, the reason is physics, when you go from 3S to 4S the total watts go up by a factor of at least 1.8 sometimes closer to 2. So a good 3S setup would be about 400 watts so running 4S will mean that the 3S setup will now run at least 720 watts, in reality closer to 800 watts as most 3S setups are smaller motors and are just making heat at that watt levels, and most 64mm setups will not handle both conditions and most likely will also fry the ESC as the amps go up as well as people forget to up the ESC rating when going 4S from 3S.

A good 4S setup say 600 watts or so will be about 300-330 watts on 3S which is OK but not as good as 400 watts. So you really kind of have to pick one or the other. If you go good 3S you will probably fry the motor on 4S and then a good 4S will be moderate on 3S. Now having said that it is possible to have a good 64mm 3S/4S but it comes at a cost, weight. The motor and fan for the ~800 watt 4S setup and the associated 60 amp ESC is fairly heavy when you drop down to 3S flying. So I tell my customers to pick 3S or 4S. Those who want good sporty performance (more than stock power )take the 3S setup, 40 amp ESC, and fly on a 3S 2200 with a lower AUW. Those who want the extra speed like 100-105 mph I tell go 4S and 4S 2200 lipo and 60 amp ESC , but they will have extra weight to carry on this setup.

But if you are OK with stock power/performance on 3S but want it to handle 4S later and not worry about the motor melting down from the extra power of 4S then I do have a setup for that. If you want better than stock performance on 3S and also want to run on 4S then that where it gets tricky.

Don

And that my friends, is the difference between buying something at HK or Nitro or Banana...and buying from somone well versed in the hobby.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:17 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:

But if you are OK with stock power/performance on 3S but want it to handle 4S later and not worry about the motor melting down from the extra power of 4S then I do have a setup for that.

Don
could you PM me with the 4s upgrade set up you suggest please? thanks
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:37 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Looking into a 5s motor... EDFhobbies has a 28mm 3950kv motor that will fit in a 64mm unit.
4lbs of thrust!! lol

Think I could get 2 minutes out of a 5s 1800mah pack?
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:27 AM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
172 Posts
not sure if this has been posted before , the HET6404 fan unit drops straight in to this plane with no sanding or messing around

dave
kinghelichopter is online now Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:22 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
we know
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:55 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
I don't know if this has been posted before- this isn't my video/plane- but someone (perhaps someone in this thread)- apparently got a 68mm fan into the stinger and with only a 4s 1800mah 45c- he's reporting Flight times of Approximately 3 minutes at full throttle, 6 minutes with throttle management- which seems extraordinarily long on only an 1800mAh lipo, especially with such a large, powerful edf unit- the fan is supposed to pull 68 amps static for 2200 grams of thrust! looks amazing- just don't know if these figures are accurate or how he managed to get that EDF into the 64mm stinger- he hasn't replied to my questions on youtube but any feedback from anyone here would be appreciated:

STINGER 64 edf (3 min 6 sec)
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:12 AM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
172 Posts
my first stinger had a HET6904 fan unit fitted , it takes a bit of sanding to get them in but it is possible , i only got 3 mins of flight with 2200 4s and that wasnt at full throttle for the whole flight either . but it did go well lol

dave
kinghelichopter is online now Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:26 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSelf View Post
I don't know if this has been posted before- this isn't my video/plane- but someone (perhaps someone in this thread)- apparently got a 68mm fan into the stinger and with only a 4s 1800mah 45c- he's reporting Flight times of Approximately 3 minutes at full throttle, 6 minutes with throttle management- which seems extraordinarily long on only an 1800mAh lipo, especially with such a large, powerful edf unit- the fan is supposed to pull 68 amps static for 2200 grams of thrust! looks amazing- just don't know if these figures are accurate or how he managed to get that EDF into the 64mm stinger- he hasn't replied to my questions on youtube but any feedback from anyone here would be appreciated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2D2J...ure=plpp_video
it's the 3580 DPS RClander alloy unit. you will also find the V2 versio nwith the same performance as 4000kv Rc lander alloy DPS. it's the blue edf unit
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:08 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
549 Posts
Quote:

Don
Been flying mine on 100% stock(326w @ 30.3amps static) for some time using mainly 1600mAH & 1800mAH batteries and whilst reasonably happy feel...........the need for speed!

Want to stay 3S as have lots of batteries(1600,1800.2200mAH). Can you please post your suggested 3S motor/fan combo for the Stinger you sell.

Thanks
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Oct 2009
95 Posts
I flew my new Stinger 64 for the first time without a single problem.
Looks very nice in the air.
It seems a little bit underpowered.
This is my third plane since I started flying planes about a couple of weeks ago.
I am really hooked!!
AlvaSpeed is offline Find More Posts by AlvaSpeed