HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:36 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3 guy View Post
...... After 2 mins had a brown out, motor was un responsive and went in fail safe mode or nothing mode. Rebooted the TX, and regained control, landed ok.

Guess I need a new controller or install a BEC.

You're lucky that you had enough height to recover safely. Perhaps you should first consider checking out your radio gear, moving the Rx. or change the orientation of the aerial(s).

P.S.
It's not a Spektrum set by any chance as these are now world renown for brown out issues with less than ideal installations.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:58 AM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Is this the same Stinger that Hobby Lobby is selling? Been thinking about geting one for my next plane.
Yes, it is the same one except the HL version has metal gear servos. That may be overkill for stock because of the added weight of 5 metal gear servos. I have the one from HK and it was delived fast and in great shape. Value Hobby does have a good price though. Anyway you slice it this is a FreeWing jet and it is worth the $$.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:20 AM
Broken Arrow, Okla
Joined Oct 2010
87 Posts
My system is Hitec A9, I had the battery in the back of the compartment, the ESV Velcro on top, Rx was forward, with the antenna wedged towards the back.
Range checked ok before the flight, but I did get a few hits with the throttle while waiting to fly.
Should of been a clue, will try moving the rx around and keep the antenna away from the bat,ESV.
J3 guy is offline Find More Posts by J3 guy
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,024 Posts
Thanks FireHawx, got a feeling this one is next in the hanger, plus it can share the 2200's I use in the T-28 and 300.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:35 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
in that case i would have replaced the receiver
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:36 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
the number of servos are a good excuse thet the bec would have been enough
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:31 PM
Broken Arrow, Okla
Joined Oct 2010
87 Posts
Flew it again today with a new 40 Amp controller and a different RX. Works good now, just not to good with the hand launch, almost scraps the ground before climbing.
Will try 1800 Bat next time, little less weight.
Thought I saw on here someone has there CG at 85 mm with a 1800, been flying mine at 65mm with the 2200.
Not sure why the CG change with a different batt.
J3 guy is offline Find More Posts by J3 guy
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:30 PM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,122 Posts
Well, I have a couple of flights in w/ the cyclone in and it moved the 64 along a little faster but I hoped for more? Did anyone else have the same "that's it huh?" I did? Not to say I see no improvement, I do. But I guess I just wanted more. It seems the weight added by the larger motor/fan/batt kinda dampens the extra umph. Does any body have any great combos in their 64 they wanna share? I just balanced out the 4 blade and I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Hoping for some more top-end.....
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:57 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,068 Posts
How fast are you trying to go? I was about 100-105mph on 600 watts and watts required goes up with the speed cubed so to go 120 mph you will need about 1000 watts and so on. Sometimes drag reduction is also needed in combination with power increase.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:37 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Stinger with floats

Not sure if this has been posted before. This is a funny video of the stinger on floats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=5OdKBHAI58w
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
159 Posts
Hey guys! I'm looking at picking up a 64mm Stinger and really want to get the most efficient and reliable power out of a 3S 2200 setup. (First motor swap EDF)

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Cyclone Power setups and was wondering which bolton replacement motor/fan combo would best suite my goals?

I'm not looking for all out speed. More "Solid" power at partial throttle while running cool etc...

I'd like to stick to a 40 AMP Hobbywing ESC if possible (To keep things lightweight) Should be doable if I stick to 3S?

Thanks in advance!
Alpha10 is online now Find More Posts by Alpha10
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
Guys, I need Futaba radio settings--

I just got my Stinger and need to program the radio.
What radio mix this jet needs to use?
AlvaSpeed is offline Find More Posts by AlvaSpeed
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:19 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
No mix on mine, 125% travel on everything, then expo at 80%. FUN !
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
Sorry, I did not explain myself properly.
I mean the radio has flaperon, ailvator, elevon, etc.. to set for the type of aircraft.
What is the type of aircraft I should program on?
AlvaSpeed is offline Find More Posts by AlvaSpeed
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:10 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaSpeed View Post
Sorry, I did not explain myself properly.
I mean the radio has flaperon, ailvator, elevon, etc.. to set for the type of aircraft.
What is the type of aircraft I should program on?
You don't need any of those programmes, just a basic 4 channel set up will do fine.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing