Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakofonixx View Post

flight report from this weekend...:
- the Stinger was faaaaaaaaast, easily over 200 km/h, unlimited verticals
flies like on rails but requires speed on turns - easy stalls wing tips (due to heavy load)
- Mercury edf screams like hell - decals peel off like hell!!
- nanos 65C perform super duper, little warm after flight, 4:00 mins of mixed fast/slow passes

what can I say! I'm impressed of this little bird!
after every flight people come to me and ask about it!!
ti sou eipa gia tis 65c ? ??
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
ti sou eipa gia tis 65c ? ??
kati ikseres
kakofonixx is online now Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
kati ikseres
they are ready to power up my 10s Viper 90
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Quote:

flight report from this weekend...:
- the Stinger was faaaaaaaaast, easily over 200 km/h, unlimited verticals
flies like on rails but requires speed on turns - easy stalls wing tips (due to heavy load)
- Mercury edf screams like hell - decals peel off like hell!!
- nanos 65C perform super duper, little warm after flight, 4:00 mins of mixed fast/slow passes

what can I say! I'm impressed of this little bird!
after every flight people come to me and ask about it!!
That is great news. Do not think you will get the Stinger any faster than that. Thought it is going to be heavy but if you are looking for speed, there is always some consequences. Enjoy.
stinger64 is offline Find More Posts by stinger64
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Dec 2006
115 Posts
Got my Stinger 64 yesterday from Hobby King. It was packed very well, and I found it easy and fast to assemble. I used CA to fill some of the seams between tail surfaces but left the wing detachable. It is really a compact-sized model.

The foam appears to have been formed using the same injection molding process as the Multiplex planes, which says good things about its durability.

I was very impressed with the work that went into setting it up. The servos were perfectly centered with the control surfaces aligned properly. The hardware looks good and they used adjustable clevises, all appropriately secured with

It does need some weight added to the nose with the recommended 1800 mAh 3S battery.

All in all I'm happy and can't wait to fly it!
tdogg77 is offline Find More Posts by tdogg77
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2008
38 Posts
How to set up tail servos

Hello all,

Am really enjoying this plane. Would like to solicit some advice from the collective wisdom and experience here.

I just had a stripped elevator servo, and need to swop it out. Unfortunately, it is the one that is reversed.

Besides buying a reversed servo or using a servo reverser, is there a way to set up mixing in the DX8 TX to enable the use of a regular servo together with the Y-cable?

Alternatively, should I get rid of the y-cable fo elevators and setup the tail as twin elevator in the Tx, and attempt to sync them with mixing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
WillowBlade is offline Find More Posts by WillowBlade
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowBlade View Post
Hello all,

Am really enjoying this plane. Would like to solicit some advice from the collective wisdom and experience here.

I just had a stripped elevator servo, and need to swop it out. Unfortunately, it is the one that is reversed.

Besides buying a reversed servo or using a servo reverser, is there a way to set up mixing in the DX8 TX to enable the use of a regular servo together with the Y-cable?

Alternatively, should I get rid of the y-cable fo elevators and setup the tail as twin elevator in the Tx, and attempt to sync them with mixing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
No need for servo reversers if you have a DX8. Go into the "wing type" menu and setup as dual elevators and dual ailerons. You can get rid of the Y harness and use separarte channels for the two elevator servos (elevator channel and one of the Aux channels - can't remember which one). No need for mixing - the DX8 takes care of it for you thru the wing type settings. You may need to go into servo setup and reverse one elevator servo. Once you set the linkages up the same (neutral), carefully measure the deflection of each surface at full throw, if there's a difference between the two surfaces you can adjust the amount of throw by changing the servo end points of travel until they are the same.

Hope that helped.
vanderbrander is online now Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
i ve got the dx8 and i dont use a reverser. Just a y lead on the aileron and a 6channel orange rx
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:44 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
There are some videos on youtube that shows you how to reverse the direction of the servo. You will have to open up the servo to do it. Just do a google search for the following:
reverse servo site:youtube.com

For me, I setup mine as Dual elevators and dual ailerons on my DX8. I have a mixed a so that i can toggle between normal mode (ailerons, elevator) and elevon mode.
btw, where do you fly your stinger in singapore?

Pavcon, Y cable doesn't work for the elevators if you stripped the reverse servo.
This is because one of the elevator servo has the directions reversed.
If you reverse the direction in the TX with a Y cable, both servos gets reversed and the previously correct elevator now goes the wrong way.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Last edited by miketre; Mar 21, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
There are some videos on youtube that shows you how to reverse the direction of the servo. You will have to open up the servo to do it. Just do a google search for the following:
reverse servo site:youtube.com

For me, I setup mine as Dual elevators and dual ailerons on my DX8. I have a mixed a so that i can toggle between normal mode (ailerons, elevator) and elevon mode.
btw, where do you fly your stinger in singapore?

Pavcon, Y cable doesn't work for the elevators if you stripped the reverse servo.
This is because one of the elevator servo has the directions reversed.
If you reverse the direction in the TX with a Y cable, both servos gets reversed and the previously correct elevator now goes the wrong way.
sorry I wazs talking about the ARF.. never bought the PNP version
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:52 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2008
38 Posts
Thanks all for your helpful advice. Working well now. :-)

MikeTre - I fly the stinger at OHR on Sundays, when I can manage to get out.

Cheers.,
WillowBlade is offline Find More Posts by WillowBlade
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joshua Taylor 15yrs
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Stinger 64 motor upgrade?

Hello all, this is my first post on a rc forum so I'm new too all this.... anyway I've just ordered a stinger 64 pnf from hobby king and a upgrade 40-50 amp ESC and a 2200mah 4s battery, i hear i need to upgrade the motor, what would be a good choice? i also have this code for you guys to get the plane for $79 and i get a $5 refund so please use it http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...6-5D24977A5348
sirjosht is offline Find More Posts by sirjosht
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:02 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I thought I'd try some KE passes with the Stinger as it is my only EDF jet with a rudder. For a start, I took it rather high to be safe.

Knife Edge passes with the Stinger (2 min 57 sec)
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:19 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,585 Posts
Nice video... looks like you got real close to the ground at around 1:15. Anyway, i'll have to get up high and practice this. I am new to EDF.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Just ordered one from Value Hobby for $89.
I have a stack of 4s packs so I'll be seeing how long it lasts like that.

...and also ordered a Cyclone Power turbojet EDF with 4500kv Motor from EDF Hobbies.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Last edited by JaggedEdge; Mar 26, 2012 at 04:10 PM.