HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Thanks man
the runway is one of the best things we have.. but temps in summer and the fact thatthe wheat fields dry out at apoint it's like a period we cannot fly JEts.. not so much for the high temps but in case of a crash the fields will catch on fire

That's why I LOVE my electrics..
and will also start a build of a HK viper next week.. VERY high powered one
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,561 Posts
You just have to love electrics eh.
But they can start a fire just the same, had a wing failure on a prop job due to bad manufacture and the resulting crash caused the battery to catch fire on impact, I live in the country and we have the same problem in the summer.
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
You just have to love electrics eh.
But they can start a fire just the same, had a wing failure on a prop job due to bad manufacture and the resulting crash caused the battery to catch fire on impact, I live in the country and we have the same problem in the summer.
I started learning to fly with an LX models F-22 two years minus 5 days ago,
all electrics all ducted fans
it was time for a turbine don't you think???
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:01 PM
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,561 Posts
There is nothing like the sound and smell of a turbine but you need a good runway and a pair of hands that would stop shaking enough to fly it, I am bad enough with electrics and don't have a runway to use withing a days travel from me.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:24 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
There is nothing like the sound and smell of a turbine ........
Hmm, when you been working with full size engines on a daily basis for the last 30 odd years the smell of Jet-A1 isn't that nice any more!
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:30 PM
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,561 Posts
I can understand that...................

Also if I had been working on full size ones I don't know that I would want to play with small ones for pleasure.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:20 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
163 Posts
Well done Pav! Nothing comes close to the feel and sound of a jet!
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Last edited by kakofonixx; Mar 11, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:53 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakofonixx View Post
Well done Pav! Nothing comes close to the feel and sound of a jet!
You've got me reminiscing now about when I worked on military stuff many years ago; The feel of a gas turbine is extremely intimidating when you're standing at the side of an engine whilst trying to adjust the RCU (reheat control unit). Your whole body feels like it's being vibrated into oblivion and breathing is a very strange and unnatural feeling. It's so bad that most people are physically sick for the first few times they carry out this operation, and some never get used to it. Model turbines are like Swiss watches by comparison, but can be just as deadly when things go wrong.

Anyway, returning to topic, the Stinger's stock motor is holding up well to 4s so far and this must be because I'm only using WOT for short periods. Time will tell........
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
good luck with that experiment on 4s. I have to find time to do some work on the stinger... That is just a thrust tube btw and also buy some more 4s packs
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:31 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,876 Posts
Is there a noticeable difference with a thrust tube using the standard motor and fan on 4s? Also, is the jet pipe as standard optimised for 3s, or would it be beneficial to fit a tube with that configuration too?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
if you have descent power then 80 per cent fsa is the optimum. Now on stock power if you go a few units down it will give you more thrust to get u out of trouble but that will cost in top end speed. Now with 4s you got plenty of thrust so downsizing the nozzle even more will cost in top speed that is your goal.
So depending on the power youve got its 80% fsa +/-3%
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Is there a noticeable difference with a thrust tube using the standard motor and fan on 4s? Also, is the jet pipe as standard optimised for 3s, or would it be beneficial to fit a tube with that configuration too?
Absolutely makes a BIG difference. I had a thrust tube in mine for the first half a dozen flights but took it out becasue I'm landing in snow and it keeps getting trapped behind the tube.

Once I took it out there was a noticable difference in top speed and even vertical performance.

The best exhaust diameter for this size fan is 49-52mm. If you run it on 4S or 3S, the exhaust diameter is the same.
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,485 Posts
Have the red version, waiting on ESC

Hey guys,
I thought I'd show you what I just did today.
I put a 6-bladed rotor from the turbojet ducted fan onto the stock motor and shroud.
I couldn't mount the stock motor to the turbojet shroud as the motor tube depth was 20mm and the I.D. was 20mm.
The stock fan (Free wing) has a motor tube I.D. of 24mm and a depth of 16mm.
I did have to trim down the rotor slightly and sand/wear-in any irregularities of the shroud.
There's a lip of about 2mm around the rotor because of the differing motor tube diameters. This was the easier way to go, so I'll just deal with it.
On a partially charged pack and stock ESC I got about 26amps/300 watts, when held in my hand (very carefully!). The stock ESC got a little warm, but not hot.
The stock ESC might work, but I'd rather have a safety margin of a higher rated ESC.
Don't want to gamble and lose a nice plane.
Really don't want to buy another motor, so I'll see what happens with this set up, installed.
I took some pics of the assembled fan. There's a slight amount of vibration through mid-range, but is very smooth at full throttle.
Update: 300 watts, 26-27 amps on stock ESC, fully charged batteries. Thrust unknown. I was hoping for closer to 400 watts. Maybe when installed Only thing left to do is fly it and see what happens.
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Last edited by ex-racr; Mar 11, 2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Added data
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Kakofonixx I am burning to know what your Stinger is doing with those Nano 65c batteries.
stinger64 is offline Find More Posts by stinger64
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger64 View Post
Kakofonixx I am burning to know what your Stinger is doing with those Nano 65c batteries.

flight report from this weekend...:
- the Stinger was faaaaaaaaast, easily over 200 km/h, unlimited verticals
flies like on rails but requires speed on turns - easy stalls wing tips (due to heavy load)
- Mercury edf screams like hell - decals peel off like hell!!
- nanos 65C perform super duper, little warm after flight, 4:00 mins of mixed fast/slow passes

what can I say! I'm impressed of this little bird!
after every flight people come to me and ask about it!!
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx