HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
pavcon "did the watt test again with the new 2200mah 4s 35c nanotech lipo.
Peak was 909watts and 61amps amp draw.."
909Watts is insane. What is your setup?
stinger64 is offline Find More Posts by stinger64
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:48 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishelman View Post
The HK does NOT have metal gear servos. Black, no name. Seem to be doing OK so far though. The Value Hobby does have MG, and the info about it is a direct quote from Hobby lobby website. Side note, Hobby Lobby has them on clearance. What do you want to bet that Value Hobby bought a bunch of em.
PS...my HK version fan exploded on the first full throttle. Never left my hand. And there were nicks in the foam when new, and spray paint touch ups all over it. If I had to do it again, I'd get Hobby Lobby (1st choice) or Value Hobby (2nd choice, although probably same plane)

Rishelman
Good advice and info.....

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:19 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger64 View Post
pavcon "did the watt test again with the new 2200mah 4s 35c nanotech lipo.
Peak was 909watts and 61amps amp draw.."
909Watts is insane. What is your setup?
that was peak but I'm sure it can hold on more watts with a better c rate pack

as I said .. thi sis the cyclone power 4500kv motor match with the cyclone turbofan.. it comes with2 rotors.. 4 and 6 blade. I use the 6 blader.

unfortunately I was too lazy during the build and rebuild to make a thrust tube.. not I think it's time. it's plenty fast even withthe undercarrage and without the tt.. but I think I need some more push and the TT is the way to do it
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jul 2004
95 Posts
A real crappy day for flying, so I got in some bench time. I stripped my beat up blue Stinger (I repeated a low and slow roll on the deck - it didn't go as good as the first time ) and installed all the gear in a new replacement red Stinger airframe. I have another stripped red airframe when this one gets buggered. I really like the way it flys. I have the HK 4s upgrade installed, but I want to try the Alloy 64 if/when it comes back in stock.
lordsirob is offline Find More Posts by lordsirob
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
705 Posts
Well. it was such a nice day today that I got the Stinger maiden. Stock motor and 2200 3s was tail heavy made for a struggle on hand launch. All was successful expect the vertical stabilizer popped out on landing. Both the plastic tabs that hold it in gave way, not much glue there. Little hot melt and it was ready to go.

Started with high rates at 50% expo DX6i, immediately went to low rates at 50% and 50% expo. Fly great on lows, wild on high.

I did decide to go with a HET 6404 fan, 4600kv motor rated for both 3 and 4s, Nano 45c 2200 3s and 4s and Hobbywing 60a ESC. Just waiting on the motor. Batteries, fans and ESC are all here already.
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Last edited by divemasterphil; Feb 25, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Ok so now I have no faith in the stock ESC. I crashed my stinger saturday due to a wire coming out of my TX module. But when I went to diagnose (thought it was ESC) I peeled the heat shrink off the ESC and it is a pretty horribly soldered no SBEC esc. Not impressed here.

I gave my fanunit/motor to a buddy who dynamically balanced it for me. I just tried the new balanced setup on my CC Phoenix 45 + Gens Ace 25C 2200 3s and wound up with 511w @ 40.7A with 11.67 PV Wow pretty impressive over the 300ish I was hitting before on my 1550 3s 25C Packs. I ordered a new jet from Hobby-lobby as they have them on sale for 99$ (with MG servos) and am looking forward to getting it and flying it with the new badass motor.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:08 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,876 Posts
Why have no faith in the stock ESC when you crashed due to a faulty transmitter. Agreed that the supplied ESC may not be of the best quality available, but they do work ok.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:16 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
Since I was having so much fun with the Stinger I ordered a second one w/o electronics. I put in a bigger 4000kV motor, a 40A/ 60A burst ESC and used the stock fan (balanced) and Turnigy 4S 2200mA 30C pack. She is very impressive in the air wit seemingly unlimited vertical. 52A and 800w.

Motor. Drop in replacement...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10924
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Since I was having so much fun with the Stinger I ordered a second one w/o electronics. I put in a bigger 4000kV motor, a 40A/ 60A burst ESC and used the stock fan (balanced) and Turnigy 4S 2200mA 30C pack. She is very impressive in the air wit seemingly unlimited vertical. 52A and 800w.

hmm thanks for the link, if that motor can in fact provide 800watts and handle 4S reliably then it's a real deal.

PS I'd be real careful if you only have a 40A ESC and its drawing 52
nighthawk0077 is online now Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:27 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
60A burst and I am worried about it. I cut an extra air duct in back of the ESC so there is real good cooling and it comes down barely warm. Motor stays nice and cool too. It's a good set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
hmm thanks for the link, if that motor can in fact provide 800watts and handle 4S reliably then it's a real deal.

PS I'd be real careful if you only have a 40A ESC and its drawing 52
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:47 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post

Yeap I've run that one on 4S in the past too. The efficiency is pretty crappy on 4S though. Not sure about the longevity either and I certainly didn't push mine for long periods at WOT - but it did work. Others have tried with mixed results so I guess it's ok if you get a good one.

It's fun to try these things out. Sometime you can find a gem out there.

Keep us posted on how long it lasts.
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:47 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
Why have no faith in the stock ESC when you crashed due to a faulty transmitter. Agreed that the supplied ESC may not be of the best quality available, but they do work ok.
Because of the lack of power it could put out with the stock ESC as well as the no SBEC.

It can work if you are severely under powering the plane with a very crappy pack. But I can see that it is possible to have issues with it. A 40A ESC upgrade with SBEC is like 10$ and would be well worth it. Just glad I have a premium ESC/BEC laying around.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:31 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
I had a bad maiden on my stryker. My Orange RX browned out only 100m away, and that was with a satellite receiver. I didn't notice that the receiver had gone bad and only realised it when I did a range check after the crash.

This is a video of the 3rd-7th flight.
HK Stinger - High Speed Close Passes (Buzzing the camera) (4 min 37 sec)

It tracks very well in the air

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dehover View Post
This Stinger actually runs a V2 40 amp Dualsky ESC (should be a 60 amp! but no problems yet), E-flite DeltaV 480 4800Kv with modified stock freewing fan intake ring/lip etc.
Wow! That is an impressive vertical takeoff!
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:04 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
A brown out is a loss of power to the receiver typically resulting in the receiver resetting and causing loss of control. Is that what you think happened? A satellite would make no difference if that is what happened. Also a range check would then show good range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I had a bad maiden on my stryker. My Orange RX browned out only 100m away, and that was with a satellite receiver. I didn't notice that the receiver had gone bad and only realised it when I did a range check after the crash.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
yep. loss of power and controls stayed in last hold command, and unfortunately I was banking left in a turn.
The wierd thing is that it sputtered back into control for less than second before browning out again.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre