Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
713 Posts
3s or 4s? Descent Speed or Vertical?

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
That motor on the 6blader wont give you 800watts. I have that exact combo.that's around high 500 to 600
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:47 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemasterphil View Post

Thx
Here's a 4S video posted by some one in another thread. Installed, watts are around 780.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post17255463
It really depends on what you want, Phil. If you want a rocket ship, then go with the 6404 and a suitable motor.
My 64mm foams are based on 3S. At 22-24 oz. I get good vertical and Ok speed and can do any aerobatics they're capable of. And they're light, so hand launches are easy.
I just wouldn't want to see you end up with a plane that's tough to launch because of it's weight or tends to get beat up a lot because of the weight.

My .02
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:27 AM
AKA RTF
United States, NY, New York
Joined Mar 2011
221 Posts
Hello,I'm a new Stinger owner and just waiting for a good nearly windless day to maiden.Its all stock except for a few decals I added to cover some paint that rubbed off during install.Added clear packing tape to all wing leading edges for decal protection.Will fly on 3c 2200 25c and 30c batts.Seems to balance cg nicely with these and they fit perfect,no foam trimming yet.Its the hobbyking pnf from the US warehouse.7 days first class usps shipping,cheapest option.I made sure to take motor off and add some blue loctite on those screws.The Esc says ZTW on it,hope it lasts.Heard ZTW was pretty good quality.I have it standing up all the way as far as i could push it into fuse so it gets air on both sides from the intake vents located on sides of fuse.Hope it goes well,will report back.This is my edf jet,first jet at all actually,sounds like it should be a good first choice to get me started in this type of flying.Thanks to everyone for the info on the thread.
LindyFlya is offline Find More Posts by LindyFlya
Last edited by LindyFlya; Jul 23, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,096 Posts
If I can also put in my 2 cents worth here.
Some other comments here are right on the money. Watts aren't always everything. Sometimes too many watts isn't the answer. What you really need is the "right watts".
My GWS fan and ERC 2445 combo makes 1.2kg of thrust for only 43amps (630W). That means I can run 4S 2200mah packs and keep the whole thing light. The thrust is well over 1:1 and the speed is +90mph in a level pass. Pretty quick for a little airframe.
Only down side is it's a fair bit more expensive than the cyclone fan/motor - but you get what you pay for.
Both setups make similar thrust on 4S but by comparison, the cyclone fan pulls about 13amps more. So yes you get more watts (about 800w) but no more thrust.
Which means you have a couple of options – shorter flights or bigger batteries.
Even a small weight increase in this size aircraft can make them a handful to fly. So bigger batts aren’t necessarily a good thing.
Keep the watts to about 600 and you can stay with 4S 2200mah. This will give you good flight times, good speed and good vertical. Anything more is just a waste of money because all you will be doing is converting cash into heat.
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
713 Posts
Well spoken. Any links to that fan/motor combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbrander View Post
If I can also put in my 2 cents worth here.
Some other comments here are right on the money. Watts aren't always everything. Sometimes too many watts isn't the answer. What you really need is the "right watts".
My GWS fan and ERC 2445 combo makes 1.2kg of thrust for only 43amps (630W). That means I can run 4S 2200mah packs and keep the whole thing light. The thrust is well over 1:1 and the speed is +90mph in a level pass. Pretty quick for a little airframe.
Only down side is it's a fair bit more expensive than the cyclone fan/motor - but you get what you pay for.
Both setups make similar thrust on 4S but by comparison, the cyclone fan pulls about 13amps more. So yes you get more watts (about 800w) but no more thrust.
Which means you have a couple of options shorter flights or bigger batteries.
Even a small weight increase in this size aircraft can make them a handful to fly. So bigger batts arent necessarily a good thing.
Keep the watts to about 600 and you can stay with 4S 2200mah. This will give you good flight times, good speed and good vertical. Anything more is just a waste of money because all you will be doing is converting cash into heat.
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:45 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
163 Posts
done a couple of 4s flights today
I have to say it wasn't exactly what I was expected...
of course the edf unit sounded better and the take off was easier, but...
the speed wasn't much more than the 3S setup and the landings were more difficult!
I could feel the extra load on air, the plane was heavy in turns and also the flight time decreased (as expected) to 4 mins...

anyway I can say I prefer it on 3S... still plenty of power, easy landings, good flying times
I was planning to order some 4S NanoTechs 65C but now I'm considering to order 3S packs
Has anyone tried those 65C NanoTechs? are they worth a try?
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:

Thx
4s and speed around 100
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Well spoken. Any links to that fan/motor combo?
Here you go.

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=622

Mark is a great guy to deal with. Really knows his stuff and won't sell you anything he wouldn't use himself.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
4s and speed around 100
Yes most 4S setups is the 600 watts range will get you ~100 mph in this airframe. I was around 100-105 mph with the Wicked 4000 Plus setup on 4S and ~600 watts. I am thinking of trying a HET 6404/Wicked 4000+ in one to see how fast it will go. My guess is about 110-115mph at 850 watts.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
AKA RTF
United States, NY, New York
Joined Mar 2011
221 Posts
Just finished my maiden,ran 4 packs of 25c nanotech 2200 3 cell and all I can say is wow.What a blast,fast, fun ,stable little screamer.Drew alot of attention at the field.All it needed was a couple of clicks of trim for aileron and elevator and flew on rails.My confidence grew quickly and I was uping the rates on ailerons with each new pack.I am officially hooked.Not a wind free day,but handled it beautifully.Got 5 minutes a pack and batteries came down with 3.7 per cell.Perfect..
LindyFlya is offline Find More Posts by LindyFlya
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,096 Posts
Yeap I agree Don. 110mph is just about all you can reasonably expect out of this airframe. It's just not practical to up the power beyond 800w.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Hi there. I am brand new to this edf thing but I can tell you one thing I fell in love with the Stinger at the first glance. I am planing to buy the stock one and then upgrade it to the fastest Stinger in the southern hemisphere :-) But obviously as I said, I do not have the slightest clue how and where to start. I do not know if there is any trade secrets out there and are the guys willing to shear some info. All I want is speed speed and oh yes, did I mention speed :-)
stinger64 is offline Find More Posts by stinger64
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
hmm.. calm down buddy.. you really don't wan to go all out speed on your first EDF which is a kind of twichy model
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:47 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakofonixx View Post
done a couple of 4s flights today
I have to say it wasn't exactly what I was expected...
of course the edf unit sounded better and the take off was easier, but...
the speed wasn't much more than the 3S setup and the landings were more difficult!
I could feel the extra load on air, the plane was heavy in turns and also the flight time decreased (as expected) to 4 mins...

anyway I can say I prefer it on 3S... still plenty of power, easy landings, good flying times
I was planning to order some 4S NanoTechs 65C but now I'm considering to order 3S packs
Has anyone tried those 65C NanoTechs? are they worth a try?
What is the weight difference between your Stinger running the 3S Lipo vs the 4S..? That's really the only difference in your flights..

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:00 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
What is the weight difference between your Stinger running the 3S Lipo vs the 4S..? That's really the only difference in your flights..

Thanks,
-mike-
the weight difference is about 60gr
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx