HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:16 AM
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
It has passed through customs and in transit. Fingers crossed i receive it tomorrow or the latest friday.
Fan/motor assembled, 1 servo reversed for elevator duties just need it to arrive so assembly can commence.
I can forsee a late night on friday
If i receive it in time i will try to have it ready for a maiden on Saturday. Sunday for sure though.
Shame the weather forecast isn't looking to good.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:35 AM
ballin to keep from stallin ;)
United States, NC, Stanley
Joined Jul 2010
490 Posts
I actually had to add a 1/4 oz of lead to the tail...I stuck it up between the thrust tube and the glued on afterburner ring. Im running the 4s 2200 nanotech 35-70's...They will puff slightly and once they cool...they're firm as a brick.
RafterDodger is offline Find More Posts by RafterDodger
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:08 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
How does it balance out with that heavier pack? Also what esc are you using I'm running a eflite 40 amp right now.
I modified the hatch (the front plug) and moved the magnet and metal part further forward so the lipo goes all the way forward in the fuse. It is hard to explain (without a pic) as most of the foam plug has been removed but the bottom line is that it balances perfect and the lipo is secure. I am using a Phoenix CC45. I will have to take some pics so you can see how I modified the hatch.

I tested this combo (Don's cool 4000 and EDO1 64 balanced by Don) with the thrust tube and got 562 watts at 41A peak with the 4S 2350's. Plenty fast for me
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:50 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys.
If any of you have pics that you have taken or can take some that would be great. I so far only have 3 flights on my bird, but after flying my modified stryker, i knew i want to upgrade this one as well.

I got the don wicked 4000 motor and am looking at getting the fan that someone else posted. Now i'm shopping for a bigger esc. My eflite is 40amps, but is huge. It has a big metal heat sink around it.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:01 PM
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
Thanks for all the info guys.
If any of you have pics that you have taken or can take some that would be great. I so far only have 3 flights on my bird, but after flying my modified stryker, i knew i want to upgrade this one as well.

I got the don wicked 4000 motor and am looking at getting the fan that someone else posted. Now i'm shopping for a bigger esc. My eflite is 40amps, but is huge. It has a big metal heat sink around it.
I will get some pics later. Yeah, I already had the CC45 and the lipos so that is what I went with on the 4s setup rather than get all new equipment. Also you are correct about some of the 60A and above ESC's, they are freakin' huge. I don't know how some of you guys are running ESC's that big in the Stinger...
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:06 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,561 Posts
I have been putting a GWS 64mm fan and motor I had in my P3 F16 (now deceased) in the stinger. I was playing with the original stinger fan when I noticed marks on the casing inside the lip. I have not had any ingress of debris as the fan has never been used in anger only bench testing.
On further investigation the marks looked like glue but actually have been made by a soldering iron because the blades (2) have melted marks on the edges.
Is this the latest way of balancing a very badly balanced fan at the factory
The fan actually did not sound too bad considering. Anyone else had this on their fan?
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:15 PM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
Also you are correct about some of the 60A and above ESC's, they are freakin' huge. I don't know how some of you guys are running ESC's that big in the Stinger...
I have an 85A ESC sitting at the top just behind the canopy...

Clive... mine doesn't have the marks like that but perhaps they missed mine cause it needed balancing...
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:00 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
I have been putting a GWS 64mm fan and motor I had in my P3 F16 (now deceased) in the stinger. I was playing with the original stinger fan when I noticed marks on the casing inside the lip. I have not had any ingress of debris as the fan has never been used in anger only bench testing.
On further investigation the marks looked like glue but actually have been made by a soldering iron because the blades (2) have melted marks on the edges.
Is this the latest way of balancing a very badly balanced fan at the factory
The fan actually did not sound too bad considering. Anyone else had this on their fan?
Yes the inside of my shoud is all scuffed up, it was that way form he factory. Like where it was injected molded they sanded the tab off, but inside??? It's weird.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:39 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
won't be possible..
I placed the ESC rigt infront of the EDF unit and used a heavier motor.. a 2200mah was just balancing pushed all the way back. .. ofcourse it was a heavy 2200mah but how light can a 3000mah be?
Did you get that HET Fan unit?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:03 PM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
I just ordered the HET 6404 and a spare rotor from HET. I'm still interested in trying 5S 1800 on the 2W-20 but I know the 2W on 4S might be more sensible...
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:11 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,561 Posts
Killab, the scuffing where the blades hit the casing is quite normal as they bed in, but the marks on mine are where someone has used a soldering iron to melt small amounts of a blade for balancing and the tip has been dragged over the casing, looks like a snail trail.
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:54 PM
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,436 Posts
Hatch Mods to fit and secure the thin Rhino 4s2350's.....

First pic shows new placement of the magnet on the canopy and the metal part where it now mates on the front of the fuse. This pic also shows the cooling hole in the nose

Second pic shows 4s2350 lipo. Notice red velcro that mates to the bottom of the battery bay velcro.

Third pic shows lipo secure in bay and you can see where the canopy tab (the thin part that is still left there) goes down right in front of the lipo.

Last pic sucks, but everything fits in snug as you can hopefully see
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:14 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
So what is your exact setup, I don't understand how it would balance with the battery that far forward
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:21 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrcuk View Post
I just ordered the HET 6404 and a spare rotor from HET. I'm still interested in trying 5S 1800 on the 2W-20 but I know the 2W on 4S might be more sensible...
Sorry to sound dumb, but what's the 2w-20 mean? Really new to edf stuff. I was thinking of getting that same unit to run on don't wicked 4000 cool motor.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:37 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
i pmed don yesterday. He said he would be stocking those het fans in a few days
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon