Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda Inc. View Post
No its not possible.
The motor cannot handle 4s lipo's.
U need to swap esc + motor to get 4s to work.

Grts Dave
OK thanks Dave....

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:04 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
I'm going to contradict that...

On 4s, the stock ESC and motor do work. The ESC gets hot, and shuts itself down (well, partially, it does a pulsing thing to notify you). That protects the motor. About 10 flights before this got boring...

Once the ESC was upgraded, the motor burnt out. By using the extra power now available because the ESC doesn't self protect, the motor takes the abuse. That lasted 3 flights before the smoke came out

I rewound the motor using 8 turns, stock is some 7, some 8. Picked up a little more (50w) power, but now has about 25 flights and doesn't complain.

So yes, it works. Just not well or reliably.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:20 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Yeah Ody... I did one flight on 4s with the stock motor too but didn't continue to do anymore flights, I knew it would not handle it for long... saving that setup for something else and swapped the Hawk 64mm stock motor and cut down fan to 3 blades for the Stinger's power, no problems on 4s! Changed my ESC before any use at all...
Stock system goes pretty well though on 3s, if you use a good one with high discharge.
Are you bringing it out on the weekend?
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:50 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Nah, the guy who owns it is in Hong Kong at the moment. He sits next to me at work and it lives on his desk!

We've got two of them, the other one (flown by a helo guy...) went nose-in on maiden - oops!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:04 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3 View Post
My 85A ESC is up the top behind the canopy... Rx just sits in front of my battery near the nose. It is a 4s 2650mAh... Not much room for anything else though!
Is there anyway you can take a pic and show it. Mine is on its way and im planning my layout to be the same as sickwitit.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:05 PM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
I started putting this plane together and noticed the electronics compartment is pretty darn small. I installed the 40 amp Pro E-flite ESC (with heatsink) on the sidewall and noticed I barely have any room to squeeze in a 3s 2200 battery. And I've been reading about people installing 70 and 60 amp ESCs...but where are you guys installing these larger ESCs, and where are you installing your Rx? The stock ESC is pretty small and makes it much easier to install the batteries, but I would like to upgrade it, but there isn't much room to go bigger. Any tips are much appreciated.
hi , i have my esc on its side pushed as far back as it will go , the wires to the motor go through the inlet duct then up into the space above the fan , my rx is pushed up behind the canopy .

dave
kinghelichopter is offline Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:39 PM
Joined Dec 2006
920 Posts
Quote:
Yeah Ody... I did one flight on 4s with the stock motor too but didn't continue to do anymore flights, I knew it would not handle it for long... saving that setup for something else and swapped the Hawk 64mm stock motor and cut down fan to 3 blades for the Stinger's power, no problems on 4s! Changed my ESC before any use at all...
Stock system goes pretty well though on 3s, if you use a good one with high discharge.
Are you bringing it out on the weekend?
Keeping with the theme of running 3s power on a totally stock motor/fan/ESC configuration..

- What the best Watts/Amps seen with the stock setup running a good Nano-Tech 50C-90C lipo?
- What general tips are available to get the most performance out of the stock 3s setup..before making the move to 4s/new fan/motor and esc?

Thanks,
-mike-
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:56 PM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
boiko.. Mike, sorry buddy haven't had a nice high discharge 3s battery in it before I converted it to 4s unfortunately... I did 2 flights with a 2200mAh 20c to maiden and trim the plane, then tried a 4s with the stock motor/fan for one flight before changing.
I think it will probably be fast enough for the majority of fliers on a high discharge 3s... like a 50c... I personally haven't tried the new Nano-Tech 50c batteries yet.
Cheers,
Dave
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2006
920 Posts
Quote:
boiko.. Mike, sorry buddy haven't had a nice high discharge 3s battery in it before I converted it to 4s unfortunately... I did 2 flights with a 2200mAh 20c to maiden and trim the plane, then tried a 4s with the stock motor/fan for one flight before changing.
I think it will probably be fast enough for the majority of fliers on a high discharge 3s... like a 50c... I personally haven't tried the new Nano-Tech 50c batteries yet.
Cheers,
Dave
For those staying with a 3s configuration it would great to know the difference between the various available high discharge batteries. For this application what is the max usable discharge rate...before you are paying for more but not getting anymore performance.

For example, what happens if you were to use the battery below...a Nano-Tech 1800mAh 65-130C in a stock Stinger 64..? Would it be much better or just wasted on this stock configuration...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

PS - I didn't even realize they were up to 65-130C 3s lipo's... 8-)

-mike-
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Crash

Right, my stinger is now 1/2-1 inch shorter than before. Split the nose wide open. Lost it in the flat light. Way too high rates on the ailerons. Stock set up with 50% dual rates and 30% expo and I still buried it.

I hope hot water will straighten the nose out. Loved the first 2 min of the flight.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7 Posts
Just bought one of these, going through and setting everything up - liking it so far. My problem is, I can't find any details about what it came with stock. Picked up the Plug-And-Fly version because I'm boring...haha.

64mm 2627 EDF, great - whose? I can't find any specs on it at all...

What ESC is it using? No sticker, no branding..I can get into programming, but I can't find any docs on it. Anyone know what ESC it comes with?

If someone could help, that would be awesome.
DaninFuchs is offline Find More Posts by DaninFuchs
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
57 Posts
Landing gear are finallt in stock after 2 months on backorder!
cwilde is offline Find More Posts by cwilde
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:58 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
356 Posts
I'm about to put the tiny stock ESC back into this plane. This electronics compartment is so ridiculously tiny! Does anyone have pics showing their larger ESC and Rx installed...and showing how much room you have behind your battery? And also please list which ESC you are using.

The only way I can push the ESC back further, is to have the motor wires hanging down, as shown in this picture. Is it safe to have the wires hanging down behind the fan? I assume it won't be an issue since the fan blades are constantly blowing the wires away from the fan.
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:12 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
I'm about to put the tiny stock ESC back into this plane. This electronics compartment is so ridiculously tiny! Does anyone have pics showing their larger ESC and Rx installed...and showing how much room you have behind your battery? And also please list which ESC you are using.

The only way I can push the ESC back further, is to have the motor wires hanging down, as shown in this picture. Is it safe to have the wires hanging down behind the fan? I assume it won't be an issue since the fan blades are constantly blowing the wires away from the fan.
some cut and soldering wouldn't do any harm
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:03 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
Oh yeah, flat light, way out there,and death spiral (or maybe tip stall) -that'll do it!!
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar