Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:33 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Allrighty,

I have received the cyclone motor and fan.

I then went on and put it in the stinger 64 and went straight to my flying field.

Results : on 3s 2800mah 30c i did not find that much improvement in top speed vs stock motor and stock fan.
The trust is however noticable more then stock but does not show in top speed wise.

On 4s 2200mah 30c however this thing is a speedster.
Thrust is really awesome and the speed is alot higher then stock.
However its still not a speed rocket but at full throttle is moves around pretty fast.

So im quite dissapointed with the cyclone on 3s but im happy with it on 4s
This was all tested using the 6 blade fan.

Grts Dave
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:30 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda Inc. View Post
Allrighty,

I have received the cyclone motor and fan.

I then went on and put it in the stinger 64 and went straight to my flying field.

Results : on 3s 2800mah 30c i did not find that much improvement in top speed vs stock motor and stock fan.
The trust is however noticable more then stock but does not show in top speed wise.

On 4s 2200mah 30c however this thing is a speedster.
Thrust is really awesome and the speed is alot higher then stock.
However its still not a speed rocket but at full throttle is moves around pretty fast.

So im quite dissapointed with the cyclone on 3s but im happy with it on 4s
This was all tested using the 6 blade fan.

Grts Dave
well I told you.. it's just flyable on 3s.. but the fan was made for 4S
that's where the full potential comes out.
+ on a lighter battery on 3s it will be a tad faster than stock.

The cyclone is a good way to go faster without having to toss your 3s batts
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:40 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Indeed pavcon,

Had 15 flights today with the stinger (the only plane i actually took with me today cause i love it that much)

Did mixed flying on 3s and 4s and really had a good time with it.
The fun when all the 4s lipo's are used up u can still use the good old 3s ones and still have a blast with it only at a slight loss of speed :P

Ordered a few more cyclone motors today for the T-45 and the Alpha Dassault
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:06 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,425 Posts
What I'd really like to see is a nice sport jet like the Stinger with a fibreglass body and balsa/plastic shrink covered wings to make it slippery smooth.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
What I'd really like to see is a nice sport jet like the Stinger with a fibreglass body and balsa/plastic shrink covered wings to make it slippery smooth.
Did you see this one?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Jet_Kit_.html
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:26 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
not such a good choice..
1st reason: for those of us who need landing gear this is a belly lander no matter what :P
2nd reason: the ED unit is too close to the CG and you can' tuse a larger pack and therefore
3rd reason:very low flying time which if you make it for speed you will need many AND high C packs to satisfy the amp hunger
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:22 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
Some pictures
I've been busy and haven't had a chance to come an update on the flight performance after installing the retracts.
I flew the stinger with the retracts upgrade and all went well. First I flew it on 3S and take off and landing where uneventful. Up in the sky it was not so fast, but well, it was on 3S
Then I put the 4S 2200mah pack and went up again. I guess comparing to the performance prior to installing the retracts I lost probably 10mph. But now I can take off and land like a plane should

Pavcon asked how I did it. A single servo in the main wing just before the EDF - here it is behind foam that splits the air from the intake so it doesn't really obstruct the air into the fan. For the nose retract, the servo that activates it and the steering one are as far behind as possible to minimize impact to the CG. I had to take a little bit of foam from the cockpit for the 2200mah to sit in there. I carefully plan the location of all the components and everything fits with just enough room but works very well. A little fun project
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:57 AM
Joined Jul 2007
17 Posts
Some Funflying with my Stock Stinger from the german warehouse (ESC: Roxxy 940-6, Lipo 4s 1800)

Stinger 64 EDF - low and highspeed (3 min 1 sec)
casiotone is online now Find More Posts by casiotone
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:39 AM
Flyin Acehole
USA, NJ, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2010
227 Posts
Great flying skills! Nice area to fly also... I didnt know she could handel 4s stock...i ordered Dons wicked setup and am expected to get delivery tommrow. Boy she flys great on the 4s stock. Nice!!!!
DumthumbsFRANKIE is offline Find More Posts by DumthumbsFRANKIE
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:41 AM
Flyin Acehole
USA, NJ, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2010
227 Posts
Oops! I see in your video heading that you did upgreade the ESC. Duh !!! Sorry. Lol
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:46 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
It flies much faster now, The 4400 works great.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:42 PM
Flyin Acehole
USA, NJ, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2010
227 Posts
I got the plus setup from Don, and a dynamicly ballanced setup.....still waiting on the esc to come in the mail....was going to try his setup with the stock ESC on 3s but i think he says not to use the stock ESC with his motors...cant wait to get her back up in the air...
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:19 AM
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
I am relatively new to Jet flying, so I tend to have a habit of flying it like a 3D prop plane, pulling very high alphas. However, I seem to experience tip stalls way too easily with the Stinger64, is anyone having this issue too? My elevators are at 100% on stock with D/R and expo of 70% when activated(Yet it tip stalls easily even at close to top speed and WOT).

Stock PNF Setup on 3S 2200mah.

I am thinking of two solutions - Change my style of flying Jets or add Slats to the wing's leading edge.

Or is there a problem on my Stinger64? Critical AOA seem abnormal. I was looking at casiotone's very tight Immelman move and it was fine! It would had involuntarily snap rolled on mine during the very beginning of such move.
FusionTiger is offline Find More Posts by FusionTiger
Last edited by FusionTiger; Oct 05, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Jul 2007
17 Posts
I think this is a normal (critical) behaviour of this little Jet. I had the same problems during my first flights. Too much elevator and it will flip even at high speeds. So I dialed down the elevators D/R to 85% and 25% Expo(Spektrum), but still have to be careful at low speeds.

Maybe you have to change your flyingstyle habits a little bit, itīs a Jet and it wants to be flown like a Jet I really like it, itīs more "real flying" an airplane than just pushing around an overpowered foamie
casiotone is online now Find More Posts by casiotone