HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:42 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
As promised here is the maiden flight of the stinger 64.

Grts Dave

Stinger 64 EDF Jet Hobbyking (5 min 27 sec)
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:24 PM
Flyin Acehole
USA, NJ, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2010
227 Posts
Nice flight! Flew 4 packs threw mine sunday and love this little jet. Im running 3s 3300mah. Keep my flights to 4 minutes and save the packs, not sure what i could get out of them if i pushed it.....i usually shake so bad during that 4 minutes is plenty hahhahahah.....its my first edf, made the jump from the wildcat. I have a dynam meteror on the way in the mail. Cant wait.
DumthumbsFRANKIE is offline Find More Posts by DumthumbsFRANKIE
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:40 PM
United States, FL, North Palm Beach
Joined Jul 2004
107 Posts
Well, my first stinger was getting real ugly, and after the last crash I didn't want to repair it anymore. I just put my second stinger together (blue, not red like the first one) and replaced the stock power unit with the HK 4s upgrade fan/motor/esc. I can't wait to see if the upgrade made any difference in flight characteristics.

First question - how do you remove the motor from the fan unit? I wanted to disassemble the old fan/motor, but can't figure out how to do it .

Second question - is the upgrade ESC capable of running the servos on 4s LiPos, or do I need a separate BEC?

Somewhat related, I thought the last crash on my old stinger was due to stalling in a downwind turn, but I used the same receiver in a new Stryker F-27Q, and on my third flight I had a lockout right after the launch. Now I am pretty sure I didn't stall the plane, but had a lockout like I got on the Stryker. Time to retire the receiver. Live and learn.
lordsirob is offline Find More Posts by lordsirob
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:02 AM
United States, FL, North Palm Beach
Joined Jul 2004
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsirob View Post
First question - how do you remove the motor from the fan unit? I wanted to disassemble the old fan/motor, but can't figure out how to do it .
OK, I found the hyperflow EDF manual on the tower hobbies site. The principle remains the same. Google is your friend!
lordsirob is offline Find More Posts by lordsirob
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:12 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
Hi folks

does anybody have a Phase 3 Squall 3S and a Stinger 64 and can compare ?

I want to buy a Stinger after my 3S Squall but assume the Stinger is not faster with stock fan.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:12 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,805 Posts
Here's the Hobby Lobby page for the Stinger with upgrade servos. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/stinger_6...36467_prd1.htm
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:54 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
I had another few flights today with the stinger.
I really love it to death this one.
Small beast is hidden in it and it really is snappy on all the movements.
I tried flying it on high rates 100% and 0% expo and well lol.........its an amazing thrill u get.
I was shaking with the stress hahaha.
Next flight i went back to 70% d/r and 30% expo and i was comfortable again.

Grts Dave
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:10 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
I wasn't happy with the Wicked 4000 so I ordered the wicked 4400, Should be better. I was only getting 92mph on the 4000.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:24 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,299 Posts
Did you have a thrust tube installed?
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Did you have a thrust tube installed?
LOL, noooo.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,299 Posts
That will rob you about 10 mph as the outlet is oversized.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:35 AM
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Hobby King Customer Service doesn't exist

I ordered the Stinger 64 on 9/19 and paid immediately with PayPal. Even though PayPal shows the payment made immediately with the order, Hobby King shows the payment is still pending. Hobby King states that it will not answer emails and there are not any phone numbers to call. Their online (not live) resolution is a joke. Two days after telling them about the problem, no answer. The Hobby Lobby plane is more expensive and out of stock so it's not really an option. I guess I will go to iHobby in Chicago with a little more spending money in October. Enjoy your Stingers and make some videos so I can enjoy the plane through YouTube.
Raycamaro is online now Find More Posts by Raycamaro
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:02 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raycamaro View Post
I ordered the Stinger 64 on 9/19 and paid immediately with PayPal. Even though PayPal shows the payment made immediately with the order, Hobby King shows the payment is still pending. Hobby King states that it will not answer emails and there are not any phone numbers to call. Their online (not live) resolution is a joke. Two days after telling them about the problem, no answer. The Hobby Lobby plane is more expensive and out of stock so it's not really an option. I guess I will go to iHobby in Chicago with a little more spending money in October. Enjoy your Stingers and make some videos so I can enjoy the plane through YouTube.
Cheap prices ... come at COST

Out of 54 order from HK, 2 I have done over HK German Warehouse (this avoid pay taxes, and less trouble with local custom office) ... 2 of 2 of order from HK german, end up in a pain

Now they want me to pay 21$ more for shipment, 1 week after my order (all items on stock), since they say, that now they discover they can not fit into one single shipping box all my order

Question : It is my fault if their online shop can't properly calculate which and how many items can fit into 1 shipment for the shown cost ?

Anyhow, if I would be informed 1 day after my order would have been something acceptable, but get a notification 1 week after, it is not ... not only ultra slow, but also they pretend more money.

Anyhow ...

We all know ...

CHEAP is not for FREE

You pay for what you get

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The stinger for my taste is a bit pricy , 100$ from Germany, or 80$ from HK ... the T-45 64mm PnF is way cheaper ...

pps: Still, where I am living there is no local physical hobby shop ... so ... HK at the end is more a constriction then a choice ... anyhow ... 52 of 52 order from China, all did work fine ... so maybe I should not complain much about it
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:28 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Cheap prices ... come at COST

Out of 54 order from HK, 2 I have done over HK German Warehouse (this avoid pay taxes, and less trouble with local custom office) ... 2 of 2 of order from HK german, end up in a pain

Now they want me to pay 21$ more for shipment, 1 week after my order (all items on stock), since they say, that now they discover they can not fit into one single shipping box all my order

Question : It is my fault if their online shop can't properly calculate which and how many items can fit into 1 shipment for the shown cost ?

Anyhow, if I would be informed 1 day after my order would have been something acceptable, but get a notification 1 week after, it is not ... not only ultra slow, but also they pretend more money.

Anyhow ...

We all know ...

CHEAP is not for FREE

You pay for what you get

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: The stinger for my taste is a bit pricy , 100$ from Germany, or 80$ from HK ... the T-45 64mm PnF is way cheaper ...

pps: Still, where I am living there is no local physical hobby shop ... so ... HK at the end is more a constriction then a choice ... anyhow ... 52 of 52 order from China, all did work fine ... so maybe I should not complain much about it
dont pay them the extra cost. It's illegal to ask you for extraq money through paypal. I got paypals advice for that as they have done the same thing with my t-45.
It was their mistake and they should carry the extra cost. It is alsi paypals policy that all buys should be completed in 1 transaction

As i said. What they are doing is illegal
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:44 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3 View Post
Hi all, I just wanted to chime and and tell about another setup that is light but powerful. I used the stock fan and the Turnigy 2815 4800kv motor and a 55amp esc togheter with a nanotech 3cell lipo. This gives about 1,2:1 or 750grams thrust and this combo scoots along pretty good and quite a bit faster than the stock setup. It uses about 40amps and it gives ca 550watts with a fresh battery.
Interesting...Will have to try that setup with a 60amp ESC as well....thx..
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer