HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:12 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
tdab's Avatar
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaoz View Post
Anybody tried installing retracts? I know it is designed to go fast and you want minimum drag and extra weight but I think it might be doable without too much impact on performance. I don't like hand launching and I think take offs and landings are half of the fun so I am really hoping it can be done.
The plane is too small for electrics so it'll have to be done with the old mechanicals where lots of tinkering is required...

Comments? ideas?

E
I think it is going to be way too heavy. You could do it but by the time you go 4s and add all that other gear for retracts you will be flying a brick. Remember this airframe is small and doesn't have a lot of wing area. Tom
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:07 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
I think it is going to be way too heavy. You could do it but by the time you go 4s and add all that other gear for retracts you will be flying a brick. Remember this airframe is small and doesn't have a lot of wing area. Tom
I am a huge fan of retracts.. all my planes have.. but I think I will agree with you on this
unless you find some very good micro electric ones
still. it's going to be on the heavy side
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:18 PM
Registered User
MagnusEl's Avatar
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audi fan View Post
Aileron UP travel in mm ?
Aileron DOWN travel in mm ?
Elevator UP travel in mm ?
Elevator DOWN travel in mm ?
Rudder LEFT travel in mm ?
Rudder RIGHT travel in mm ?

I will start flying the Bird out of the box. Maybe later after some flights I plan a 4S Setup.

Thanks in advance for some reply's

-Marco-

Hi Marco.

I use 10mm up and down on aileron.

14mm up and down on elevator.

25 mm on rudder.

CoG is at the center of the finger/throwing grip.

Weight is just under 700g with 3 cells 2650 mAh Turnigy Nanotec 35-70C.

I use a rewound Turnigy 2815 EDF Kv 4000, and 40 A ESC. Motor pulls 38A. Top speed ~110 km/h

MagnusEL Stinger 64, Mohed (5 min 51 sec)


Hope all goes well for you.
//Magnus
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:35 AM
Registered User
Nederland, UT, Soesterberg
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Magnus, thanks for your input.

Yesterday I received my Stinger 64 EDF from DE Warehouse

Building and setup transmitter was less than 1 hour work.

Stock setup + Zippy 3S 2200mAh 40C + receiver only 656 gram

Now I have to wait for some better weather and less wind for Maiden.

I saw on Hobbyking site they have an optional Landing Gear Set.
Wait untill back on stock and Up in the Basket.

http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...dProduct=17944

audi fan is offline Find More Posts by audi fan
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:23 AM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audi fan View Post
Magnus, thanks for your input.

Yesterday I received my Stinger 64 EDF from DE Warehouse

Building and setup transmitter was less than 1 hour work.

Stock setup + Zippy 3S 2200mAh 40C + receiver only 656 gram

Now I have to wait for some better weather and less wind for Maiden.

I saw on Hobbyking site they have an optional Landing Gear Set.
Wait untill back on stock and Up in the Basket.

http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...dProduct=17944

Ordered mine yesterday from DE warehouse.
Hopefully here next week.

Hoelang heeft het voor jou geduurd voor ie verzonden en aangekomen was vanuit DE ?
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
Registered User
Nederland, UT, Soesterberg
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda Inc. View Post
Ordered mine yesterday from DE warehouse.
Hopefully here next week.

Hoelang heeft het voor jou geduurd voor ie verzonden en aangekomen was vanuit DE ?
Ordered Monday 05-09-11 (22:40uur)
Shipped with GLS by Hobbyking Monday 12-09-11
Delivered Tuesday 13-09-11 (08:40uur)

Unfortunately Hobbyking takes his time for handling the Order and Ship out.
But it is worth waiting I can tell you.
audi fan is offline Find More Posts by audi fan
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:44 AM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audi fan View Post
Ordered Monday 05-09-11 (22:40uur)
Shipped with GLS by Hobbyking Monday 12-09-11
Delivered Tuesday 13-09-11 (08:40uur)

Unfortunately Hobbyking takes his time for handling the Order and Ship out.
But it is worth waiting I can tell you.
Yuck one week to ship the plane.
Good thing GLS was fast for u.
I choose DPD as shipping method.

Good thing is that my order is already printed and being packed right now. (or atleast thats what the status says hehe)
Usually that takes 2 or 3 days (i wonder why the packing always takes that long) and then when its shipped it takes another 3 days by DPD to arrive here.

Grts Dave
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:03 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Btw would the Cyclone Power Turbojet 64 + CS450-4500-30EDF be a good choise for this plane instead of the stock motor and fan ?

Cause the cyclone can do 4s and the stock one cannot it seems.

Grts Dave
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:52 PM
Flyin Acehole
DumthumbsFRANKIE's Avatar
USA, NJ, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2010
227 Posts
Ordered my stinger from the US werehouse a week ago and its here today!!!!! Im so happy woth the quality , its amazing for the price...spooled her up after i put it together and seems a bit noisy and not smoothe....im new to edf's so im unsure about balancing rhe edf unit...i purchased a 2200 mah at 3s with a 25 to 35c rate. Hope i can get this little edf to fly decent. Looking into the Dons wicked setup...
DumthumbsFRANKIE is offline Find More Posts by DumthumbsFRANKIE
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:27 PM
Flyin Acehole
DumthumbsFRANKIE's Avatar
USA, NJ, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2010
227 Posts
Ok!!!!! Flew the maiden today and boy am i pleased!!! Almost no trimming out of the box , just a few clicks up elevator and three clicks left aeilaron... One thing is for sure tho. She is waaaayyy to sensitive on aeilaron input. What are you guys doing to tame her down? And shes a bit greasy on landing as needing alot of runway to slow down. Other than that its awsome!!!
DumthumbsFRANKIE is offline Find More Posts by DumthumbsFRANKIE
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:21 PM
Fly now crash later
davecrash's Avatar
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumthumbsFRANKIE View Post
Ok!!!!! Flew the maiden today and boy am i pleased!!! Almost no trimming out of the box , just a few clicks up elevator and three clicks left aeilaron... One thing is for sure tho. She is waaaayyy to sensitive on aeilaron input. What are you guys doing to tame her down? And shes a bit greasy on landing as needing alot of runway to slow down. Other than that its awsome!!!
I'm using 30% expo and dual rates.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda Inc. View Post
Btw would the Cyclone Power Turbojet 64 + CS450-4500-30EDF be a good choise for this plane instead of the stock motor and fan ?

Cause the cyclone can do 4s and the stock one cannot it seems.

Grts Dave

read back
I have it in mine.. It's faaaaaast and it can also be flyable on 3s but just cruise around easy flying
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:07 PM
Fly now crash later
davecrash's Avatar
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anda Inc. View Post
Btw would the Cyclone Power Turbojet 64 + CS450-4500-30EDF be a good choise for this plane instead of the stock motor and fan ?

Cause the cyclone can do 4s and the stock one cannot it seems.

Grts Dave
I have a dozen flights on my stock motor and fan on 4S now. I also have Don's 4000 sitting on the bench ready to go in when the stock one goes poof.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:34 AM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
read back
I have it in mine.. It's faaaaaast and it can also be flyable on 3s but just cruise around easy flying
Awesome so on 4s is faaaaaaaaaast and on 3s u can really enjoy the cruising .
What are the flight times on both 3 and 4s with the cyclone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
I have a dozen flights on my stock motor and fan on 4S now. I also have Don's 4000 sitting on the bench ready to go in when the stock one goes poof.
Really ???
Ive seen so many people saying it wont handle it good.
I have the cyclone here anyway so maybe better to play safe and go with that.
Is the stock as fast as the cyclone or way slower ?
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:29 AM
Fly now crash later
davecrash's Avatar
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
I dont have the cyclone so cant really say, I could put the Eagletree in iut and see what the gps comes up with. I could do that today.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product New HobbyKing Viper Jet 70mm Fibreglass Jet Jagzilla Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 1290 Jan 13, 2014 06:32 AM
Discussion Stinger F3B/F3F Vaclavs new weapon! SpeedMaster Multi Task F3X 124 Aug 08, 2013 09:00 PM
For Sale Nib sr71 64 mm ducted fan jet yf22raptor Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 6 Mar 26, 2011 02:28 PM
Discussion HobbyKing EDF 64 Identification liam2317 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 11 Dec 20, 2009 07:52 AM