HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:53 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionTiger View Post
Is it true that the heavier the plane the better it will handle winds?

I do enjoy flight performence but when I had tried a lighter setup before, it got bullied by the wind. I'm not getting any fun with the wind playing with my plane for me.
I think slightly heavier will have better penetration through the air with less effect from wind but if it's too heavy then you might need a lot more throttle to keep it up. I am normally fine if an EDF will fly at 50% throttle on a fresh pack without losing altitude. If it will not do that, it could be underpowered or too heavy. That is nothing scientific as wing area, power system, jet size, airframe type, etc. will always vary. I have a few jets that need a little more throttle than that to fly decent, but it is something to shoot for. Personally I wouldn't go much heavier on a stinger than what I have at 26oz but again, that's just me. It would be too much like trying to land a brick!
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:32 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
I just tried 4S on the stock setup on the bench and got 41amps and 589 watts on the watt's meter. I noticed on my flight today the Fan still turns when the throttle is off. This causes the plane to slow down and I noticed it tends to stall in maneuvers during zero throttle due to this. Anybody have the programming instructions for the stock ESC?
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:53 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
I just tried 4S on the stock setup on the bench and got 41amps and 589 watts on the watt's meter. I noticed on my flight today the Fan still turns when the throttle is off. This causes the plane to slow down and I noticed it tends to stall in maneuvers during zero throttle due to this. Anybody have the programming instructions for the stock ESC?
You actually did not burn the stock ESC or motor with a 4s pack??
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:41 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
You actually did not burn the stock ESC or motor with a 4s pack??
I only ran it up to full for a second or 2. I decided to put a larger ESC in it tonight but going to try the stock motor on a 4S flight.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:45 AM
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
I only ran it up to full for a second or 2. I decided to put a larger ESC in it tonight but going to try the stock motor on a 4S flight.
I am eager to know the flight results! Had you done any temperature measurements during your bench tests?
FusionTiger is offline Find More Posts by FusionTiger
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:46 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:

nice... smoke show
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:45 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionTiger View Post
I am eager to know the flight results! Had you done any temperature measurements during your bench tests?
Well I haven't seen anything on anybody running any of the stock stuff on 4S so I figured I would. obviously the ESC wont hold up so that got changed and the speed was only so so for me and I don't care if the motor frys as I have Don's 4000 just sitting here. I will do some temp readings on it. BTW the stock stuff on 3S was only 80F after landing
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Tried it on one of my Nano 4S 2200mah today. Got peak 47amps and 680 watts on the stock fan and motor, She flew awesome. After landing the highest temp I could get was 95f. I used a HK trust 55 ESC. had a slight problem that it stuttered on throttle up then went right to 1/4 throttle every time. Played with the settings but couldn't get rid of it. don't know yet if it's the ESC or the motor on 4S.
Last edited by davecrash; Sep 11, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
make sure your bullet connectors are ok
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:04 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
make sure your bullet connectors are ok
Tried another motor and it was better but still did it a bit. Switched to the ESC from my Habu and all is good now. This thing rocks on 4S and the stock Motor.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
guys
Ive got the stock 4s setup of my blitzrcworks f-16 tv if anyones interested. 15usd plus shipping. Esc motor and and an external bec
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:32 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Check a few pages back, 4s is doable for a while...

What I saw with the stock esc on 4s was thermal proection would kick in. When the esc was replaced, it didn't cut out, so the motor was the weak point. 5 flights later - smoke trail!

I rewound with 8t (can't remember the gauge), and it's now done 20 more flights
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
Yes, nice smoke and fireworks show!
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
I decided to take the plunge and ordered the red version from the germany warehouse today.

I have 2 cyclone setups coming my way also from philip at pw-rc.com.
One of those will go inside the stinger on 4s

Grts Dave
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:32 AM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
Retracts?

Anybody tried installing retracts? I know it is designed to go fast and you want minimum drag and extra weight but I think it might be doable without too much impact on performance. I don't like hand launching and I think take offs and landings are half of the fun so I am really hoping it can be done.
The plane is too small for electrics so it'll have to be done with the old mechanicals where lots of tinkering is required...

Comments? ideas?

E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz