SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:57 PM
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
Hey crasha, very nicely done paintjob, what is your Stinger's flying weight?
FusionTiger is offline Find More Posts by FusionTiger
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:15 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
257 Posts
Mine weighs 820 grams (28.9 oz) ready to fly with turnigy 4s 2200 battery.

Tested it at roughly 50amps, (750 watts) and 1kg thrust. Very happy with this setup. Flight times up to 7 minutes because I tend to fly it like a hotliner (Short burst of gas and then high speed glides) It seems just as fast upwind as it does downwind and just does not want to slow down
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:14 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
This is now in the usa warehouse. This will be my first edf. What size lipos should I get with it? I see some people are useing 2200mah and some 1600mah. I will be flying stock untill something breaks
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:52 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
Very nice Crasha, great job. May I ask how do you do the curved masking?
Thanks!
E
earaoz is online now Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Sep 08, 2011, 02:20 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
257 Posts
I used a thin plastic tape (1/4" wide) similar to electrical tape.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:13 AM
Swedes don't grow on trees
Sverige, Stockholms Lšn, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
This is now in the usa warehouse. This will be my first edf. What size lipos should I get with it? I see some people are useing 2200mah and some 1600mah. I will be flying stock untill something breaks
High-C 1600's. I have tried both 2200 and 1600 on the stock power system and lower weight means more performance. I'd chose performance over flight time any day! Get a few extra packs instead of heavier ones.
Jonas Leander is offline Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Old Sep 08, 2011, 04:21 AM
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
Is it true that the heavier the plane the better it will handle winds?

I do enjoy flight performence but when I had tried a lighter setup before, it got bullied by the wind. I'm not getting any fun with the wind playing with my plane for me. I used the heavier 2200 3s pack then thats when things got much more comfortable but pretty much still fighting with the wind over the control of the plane.

After some bad crashes and for experiment sake - I am currently beefing up my PNP Stinger with the lighest fiberglass that I could find but it is still taking on nearly 80grams more weight w/ paint job. I wonder if I should add even more weight by going with a 4S system for more thrust.

By experience, I had modified park-size EPO prop planes with much heavier, stronger motor. It all turned out flying way better than a lighter setup. However, I am getting mixed opinions from people saying that a lighter plane will fly better. It has been the exact opposite for me. Am I missing anything here?
Last edited by FusionTiger; Sep 08, 2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:06 AM
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
It depends on how you define "handle". Assuming the same power, a heavier plane will have a narrower speed envelope, ie lower top speed and higher stall speed. On the other hand it will be less thrown about by the wind - it has more mass to resist the buffeting forces of the wind and might threrefor be more enjoyable to fly in windy conditions. The heavier plane will climb slower, but may be quicker in a dive once you get it to altitude. It's all a trade-off and comes down to personal preference - I like to be able to climb quickly and assuming the stock power system, more weight equals less climb performance. Adding more weight _and_ more power is another question entirerly.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:01 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
257 Posts
I have to say that the stinger is a bit of an oddball when it comes to wing loading. With the 4s setup I use it certainly does feel rather heavy in the air, But at the same time it can quite happily fly at slow speeds. I find landings are fairly hot because it is a very slippery plane and I have trouble slowing it down on approach.

I can fly mine quite happily at 1/4 throttle, but during tight banked turns it does seem to want to fall out of the sky without a fair bit of speed and elevator. It also feels heavy when pulling out of a dive (my cg is at 70mm from the le, not sure if I want to go much further back).

It does handle the wind well though, and having the extra power makes handlaunching a piece of cake. It is definately worth the extra weight to have the power of a 4s setup. I have flown one with 2200 3s and it was ok but quite gutless and still felt similar to the 4s, might be worth trying 1600's to see if it gives a lighter feel to the stinger. Just make sure you use a high C 1600 (30c or even better 40c>) so the battery doesn't run out of steam and hold you back. On 3s you will be using more throttle and drawing alot more constant amps just to stay in the air.
Last edited by crasha; Sep 08, 2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:48 AM
Nederland, UT, Soesterberg
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I read this full thread and then decided to order 1 at Hobbyking DE.
I hope it will be delivered tomorrow and over the weekend hopefully maiden flight.

As this is my first EDF Jet (Experience with FW-190 Hobbyking and Extra 260 Hobbyking) I would like to ask if somebody could help me with the Aileron / Elevator and Rudder settings. Specially travel adjustment.

Aileron UP travel in mm ?
Aileron DOWN travel in mm ?
Elevator UP travel in mm ?
Elevator DOWN travel in mm ?
Rudder LEFT travel in mm ?
Rudder RIGHT travel in mm ?

I will start flying the Bird out of the box. Maybe later after some flights I plan a 4S Setup.

Thanks in advance for some reply's

-Marco-
audi fan is offline Find More Posts by audi fan
Last edited by audi fan; Sep 08, 2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:10 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audi fan View Post
Hi Guys,

I read this full thread and then decided to order 1 at Hobbyking DE.
I hope it will be delivered tomorrow and over the weekend hopefully maiden flight.
You have good hope

Order today and get delivery tomorrow, even from HK warehouse german to german, it sounds like a miracle.

It took longer, even much longer to me ...

I'm curious to know when you will get it ... but I guess you will for sure not maiden it this weekend

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:37 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
257 Posts
Hey Audi fan

Haven't measured my throws, but to get you started, I have the clevis's in the center holes for all surfaces and the z bends at the ends of each servo horn.

I use 100% rudder travel, 85% elevator with 5% expo and 40% aileron travel with 20% expo on a spektrum Dx6i radio.

Basically use a fair bit of rudder and elevator but turn the ailerons way down (maybe only5-6mm travel) because the stinger will roll 3 times before you can blink on higher rates.

Has anyone tried mixing opposite aileron to rudder in an attempt to cancel out the roll coupling caused by the winglets. I would like to have it flying neutrally with rudder inputs, let you know if it works.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:25 AM
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
crasha, jonas, thank you for your wisdom! That cleared up some doubts. I'll be attempting to have it launched on stock PNP setup with 3S 2200, a thrust tube and the extra fiberglass & paint weight. An estimated flying weight of 720grams.

If that fails, I'll join you folks in the world of 4S! Weighty is how I like my plane to be, to not be bullied by them gasty buggers that often lurk around my flying field.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 01:10 AM
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Like Henke (fellow Swede in this thread) I use a permanent knife-edge mix, using about -10% rudder->aileron and another mixer that gives about 10% down when giving full rudder in either direction. This gives easy and stable knife-edge, but I haven't tried it straight and level, but I suppose it would do a slow, flat turn.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:18 AM
Nederland, UT, Soesterberg
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
@ e_lm_70
The order was placed last monday so delivery today would have been possible. Unfortunately still no track & trace so I think after the weekend it will be delivered.

@ crasha
Thanks so far for the input

If somebody could measure the travel it would be very helpfull
It's always good to have a reference.

Now it's waiting for the delivery and dry weather after the weekend

-Marco-
audi fan is offline Find More Posts by audi fan