HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:10 PM
1 OM KAR, SATNAAM
GTA , Ontario
Joined May 2004
319 Posts
No fixing

I will buy a new one, when ARF comes in stock. I like it, but on the next one the winglets have to go. I will remove them and add some balsa wood to it.

satnaam

It's good plane, I like it.
1satnaam is offline Find More Posts by 1satnaam
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
852 Posts
Does anyone feel that the elevator control surfaces are too small? They dont seem very effective at low speeds and require alot of stick before the plane reacts
learninginverted is offline Find More Posts by learninginverted
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:37 AM
Swedes don't grow on trees
Sverige, Stockholms Län, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Where is your CG? IMO they are too small if you fly at the recommended CG, but moving back to a proper CG (close to the front of the throwing grips) they work well.
Jonas Leander is offline Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:44 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learninginverted View Post
Does anyone feel that the elevator control surfaces are too small? They dont seem very effective at low speeds and require alot of stick before the plane reacts
remove some expo
I haven't had that feeling my self
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:04 AM
Joined May 2006
8 Posts
guys was thinking of getting the HK 2836 3500kv EDF motor for my stinger but somehow i feel that the motor is a bit on the heavy side (97g).

Any other recommended motor on HK around 75g region. Have been flying the stinger stock for a while so intend to do a performance upgrade!
BuRR06 is offline Find More Posts by BuRR06
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
An evening flight with my stock Stinger at the local park. 3s1600 Nanotech.

Hobbyking Stinger 64 EDF (3 min 50 sec)
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:49 AM
Portland, Maine
Joined Sep 2007
121 Posts
Hairy hand launch...did you throw it yourself? Quick move with the ailerons...
Dynarace is offline Find More Posts by Dynarace
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:39 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Leander View Post
Where is your CG? IMO they are too small if you fly at the recommended CG, but moving back to a proper CG (close to the front of the throwing grips) they work well.

Hej Jonas.
I have the CoG at 65 mm, and that is 15mm back from the front of the grips...Works great for me.
Isnt recomended 60-70mm?

You should balance the rotor, it sounds horrible...

Magnus
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:49 PM
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynarace View Post
Hairy hand launch...did you throw it yourself? Quick move with the ailerons...
Slightly hairy, but no real worries since it is well above stall speed. I throw it myself and this time managed to give it a skewed throw. Pretty silly, considering it flies out of my hand at this low weight.

Tried 65mm first, horribly nose heavy and sluggish.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:45 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,480 Posts
Mine arrived on Tuesday. Assembly was probably the most taxing 20 minutes of my life ever........................NOT. My CG is towards the rear of the throwing slots under the wing, although not accurately measured by any stretch of the imagination and just looked and felt somewhere close, using an Overlander 3s 2200 pack.

I maidened it yesterday evening using a trusted clubmate to launch for the first flight. Controls set at 75% low rate on both elevator and aileron and 100% on high rate just in case. No expo was set on the maiden as I usually adjust to taste afterwards.

The maiden flight was a total success and the model performs like a miniature Habu, not as fast but not far off. This pleased me as I wanted a Habu but they are like chicken lips at the moment, nobody has them available. It's quick enough to have some fun and it's very well behaved, landings are easy. The model slowed really well and every landing was a greaser. I found it very easy to self launch after the maiden as it simply flys out of the hand, all very satisfying.

My only problem with the model is entirely my fault. I ordered a blue one and as great as it looks on the ground, against a grey British sky she simply dissapears. With the benefit of hindsight perhaps a red one would have been a more suitable choice. That said my overall impression of the model is very positive. Even one of my mates commented how nice it was and he's totally against buying from China (he's a retailer and believes buying from China is detrimental to the British economy, but that's a thread that belongs in another forum).

Definitley two thumbs up from me!!!
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:34 AM
Joined May 2006
8 Posts
Guys, how to remove the stock motor from the fan? This is my first EDF and i am afraid of messing things up. So i wanna double check with you guys first.

thanks!
BuRR06 is offline Find More Posts by BuRR06
Old Sep 02, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
Hold firmly onto the fan blades and unscrew the nose screw with a flat screwdriver.

Do remember to balance the fan and the fan support plate.
FusionTiger is offline Find More Posts by FusionTiger
Last edited by FusionTiger; Sep 02, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 05:42 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Had 6 more flights with mine....

Had 6 more flights with mine on Dons 4000kV (the small 4000) and I'm getting it dialed in now. It is pretty much point and shoot and will fly hands off straight and level. Inverted req's just a little input but not much. Still working on KE. I covered the bottom with packing tape (the launch holes) to make it more slick through the air.

The smaller 4000 really puts out for a 67g motor. On my meter this morning with Rhino 25c 4s 2350 (242g) and CC Phoenix 45 it put out 590 watts at 42.7A. I only did short 3-4 second bursts because I bet 42A puts it right on the edge With an AUW of 26oz it has over 360w per pound.

Still working on the covering job . I need to heat it now and press it down better and add the black pattern to the wings and bottom for better visibility. It should look much better when done but the green really looks sweet on a sunny day. Tom
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:05 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Hi Stinger fans

I have modded mine for 4s (HK2836 3800kv & turnigy trust 55A esc) and added a thrust tube. BIG THANKS to "The Don" for posting the tube template

It flys great, but the decals started peeling off. Since I have too much time on my hands, I decided to give it a re paint.

The decals were easily peeled off using packing tape, BUT it took hours to mask up the wings and fuse for the stripes. The paint was just spray cans from the local auto parts shop. The whole plane is coated in clear coat and there is a little bit of airbrushing as well

I decided to keep the original blue paint and decals. The stinger looks like something an airforce aerobatic team would fly. since I had already drawn some decals for a flyfly mirage, I decided to rescale them for the stinger. Here's the end result!!!

Attached is a pdf of the decals for anyone who wishes to use them. Just print them onto a sheet of A4 waterslide decal paper and apply the decals to the foam. Let the decals dry overnight and then spray some clear over the top.

I'm almost tempted to buy a red one and paint it in a US NAVY diamondbacks paint scheme
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:33 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasha View Post
Hi Stinger fans

I have modded mine for 4s (HK2836 3800kv & turnigy trust 55A esc) and added a thrust tube. BIG THANKS to "The Don" for posting the tube template

It flys great, but the decals started peeling off. Since I have too much time on my hands, I decided to give it a re paint.
That looks awesome!
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab