HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:48 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,281 Posts
Here ya go....

Whell,,, not to happy with the set up in this plane. It hawled ass in the Jetiger, but doesn't seem to push it out in this plane for what ever reason.

I think it might have been just slightly tail heavy. It seemed dive left or right with very small inputs. Going to try to reduce the throws a bit.

For your entertainment..
HK Stinger Jet on 4s and 3 blades (3 min 4 sec)
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Aug 26, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:46 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Here ya go....

Whell,,, not to happy with the set up in this plane. It hawled ass in the Jetiger, but doesn't seem to push it out in this plane for what ever reason.

I think it might have been just slightly tail heavy. It seemed dive left or right with very small inputs. Going to try to reduce the throws a bit.

For your entertainment..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hK_v...layer_embedded
looks ok to me!
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:06 AM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
mine finally arrived today after two months, got some 4s 2200 packs and a 600watt 4s setup, what mods are you guys recommending with this setup? i have some mg90 servos laying around should i throw em in?
kremecheze is online now Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:52 PM
Swedes don't grow on trees
Sverige, Stockholms Lšn, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Got mine last week, maidened it today. Everything stock, although I removed the fan from the motor and tested five different positsions to minimise vibrations. After doing this I used a small piece of tape, fixing it in turn to all five blades and finally moving it back to the position where the fan would vibrate the least.

First flight was with a Nanotech 3s2200 which gave me a CG of around 65mm. Although it flew at this CG, it was extremely nose heavy and sluggish! I then decided to switch to a Nanotech 1600. I hacked out the battery stopper and made a series of test flights, moving the CG backwards for each flight until coming to 85mm after 5 flights. The ironic thing is that the 1600 is now completely inside the original battery compartment, making it unnecessary to remove the foam barrier.

Being extremely sluggish @65mm and 2200, 85mm and 1600 made it quick and nimble. Hand launches are easy with the stock setup. It will cruise at low throttle settings and do inverted with only a small amount of down. Most importantly: it will snap when provoked, with a forward CG it was impossible to make it snap - boring!

Elevator is still trimmed up a few clicks and I will continue to evaluate the CG, moving it slightly back from 85mm.

/ Jonas
Jonas Leander is offline Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Last edited by Jonas Leander; Aug 28, 2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2007
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
The next time I take the wing off, I will snap you a few pics from under the hood....Tom

Edit: You can also check Don's build thread...It has a lot of good info and pics of the tube...

Click Here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476099
Thanks! That really helped. Do you guys find that the stinger lands rather hot? Mine isnt light as im runnin it with a cyclone motor/fan plus 2250 4s 45c batts. Even the hand launches have to be done with full throttle to get up in the air... But my its quick! The turning radius is rather large when done without the aid of the elevator
learninginverted is offline Find More Posts by learninginverted
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
I had varying experience with the 3S 2200mah on the Stinger, at times it was nose heavy and believe it or not - certain flights was tail heavy. My very latest flight was just-nice. I was flying at a rather fast velocity, I'm guessing the Stinger64 with a 2200mah 3S pack only enjoy speedy flights.

My landings are smooth and steady on the stock PNF setup with a 2200mah 3S pack.

Skip to 2:00 for landing. (No wind condition)
Stinger64 1 (2 min 15 sec)

Anyone tried using Flaperons or Spoilerons?
FusionTiger is offline Find More Posts by FusionTiger
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:32 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learninginverted View Post
Thanks! That really helped. Do you guys find that the stinger lands rather hot? Mine isnt light as im runnin it with a cyclone motor/fan plus 2250 4s 45c batts. Even the hand launches have to be done with full throttle to get up in the air... But my its quick! The turning radius is rather large when done without the aid of the elevator
I flew mine today for the first time. It flies great...Landings are just slightly hot but not bad. Not any worse than my HP F16 on 4s. I am running Don's balanced W4000 with the thin yellow Rhino 4s2350's. My AUW is 26oz on the dot....Only had 3 flights this morning as the ground was really wet with dew and I didn't want to anything up. Guessing it goes around 80-85 mph maybe just a tad faster with a fresh pack. I am balanced right on the front of the holes used for gripping the bottom. All 3 launches today were underhanded from the top of fuse...It flew right off nice and level without an issue (needed 3 clicks of UP)....Expo: -30 all surfaces and ailerons cut back to 75%. Not twitchy at all with these values for me. Very tame. Tom
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:55 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok now.. Where the f is that arf?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:57 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,298 Posts
Tom,

You should be going faster than that on that setup. Did you install a thrust tube? I was getting over 100mph on 4S.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:19 AM
Joined Sep 2007
852 Posts
I dont know how much mine weighs, will let u know once i get a weighing scale. I actually managed 120 mph but admittedly on a slight tailwind. I am still surprised because i was struggling to see 125 mph on my p3 with even bigger tailwinds and a more expensive arc motor.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:24 AM
Joined Sep 2007
852 Posts
Don, is there anyway we can mitigate the drag imposed by the abrupt ending of the airfoil shape as u mention? Trying to see if we can squeeze anything more out of this bird
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:50 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,298 Posts
You can try adding tapered balsa trailing edges.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:13 AM
1 OM KAR, SATNAAM
GTA , Ontario
Joined May 2004
319 Posts
mine flew about 50 flights

And then had a bad crash. My setup was Don's 400 Wicked motor with Hobby people Squall 5 blade rotor and Eflite 480 fan housing with 80 amp CC ESC. I ran it with a thrust tube, 4 cell Turnagy Nano pack 2200mAh. I pulled close to 65 amp current and it was flying 110 mph down wind level flight.
satnaam

MMFC Hobbyking Stinger crash (2 min 7 sec)
1satnaam is offline Find More Posts by 1satnaam
Last edited by 1satnaam; Aug 29, 2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: video link
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:27 AM
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Tom,

You should be going faster than that on that setup. Did you install a thrust tube? I was getting over 100mph on 4S.

Don
Don, I do have a thrust tube (exit diam is right at 2") but remember I just have the cool 4000 (Not the bigger 4000+ ) so I am right at 40A and 575 watts measured on my meter. I'm probably saving 15-20% on the overall AUW with the lighter motor and esc (CC45) and I can use 25c 4s lipos also which is what I wanted.

Not really looking for overall speed with this one and too be honest, I really only did one high speed WOT pass on my last "test" flight and it was inverted ...I really want to master low (5-6') knife edge passes with this jet. The good news is that it will really lock in on inverted and KE if you get it tracking true. I just need to bring the KE down from 25' to eye level....LOL
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:59 AM
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1satnaam View Post
had a bad crash
1Sat, That sucks....Looks like it was flying great before the incident. I hope you can fix it