HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:18 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Seriously. Go to Don's RC and buy one of his wicked 4000 or 4400+ motors, and a HobbyWing 60a. ESC to go with it; it will now be a 4s monster that will blow away what HK would sell you, and HK will be more expensive!!!
Don's 4000+ set is ~$65, plus ~$25 for a knock-off Hobbywing 60A ESC (which has been perfect for over 15 flights on mine) so you're now talking about a $200+ plane. Without retracts even.
I enjoy flying mine but don't think I'd do it over again.
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:22 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,707 Posts
Spectacular!

. 567 rwhp. That is just spectacular. Musta required good 1/2" head bolts for 18psi, too

Go with the Don's setup. I promise you, you will not be disappointed. Stock stuff will not do it for you....not after what you show here.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:26 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Don's 4000+ set is ~$65, plus ~$25 for a knock-off Hobbywing 60A ESC (which has been perfect for over 15 flights on mine) so you're now talking about a $200+ plane. Without retracts even.
I enjoy flying mine but don't think I'd do it over again.
??? - a $40 motor and a $40 ESC, on top of a $112 airplane (no shipping cost) makes less than $200 where I was taught math.

Retracts are a maintenance nightmare - ever had any? There is nothing simpler than hand-or-bungee launch. Nothing.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:44 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,707 Posts
And....

Up front.

I apologize for ...... Assertive comments. I'm 4 Rum & Cokes into celebrating return to real life - tonite, for the first time in 7 weeks, my right foot is on the ground and in use, after Achilles' tendon reconstruction. And I am happy not to be on those gawdawful crutches, or falling over on my own face.

Still, the Stinger on a good 4s package may not be much cheaper than, say, a Dynam Meteor - but it is easy and stable to fly, will go like a bullet, and does not require big, expensive batteries to get serious kicks from. How can you go wrong?

Well worth the effort needed. Minimum effort once all is put together, with maximum satisfaction.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:02 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,852 Posts
Quote:
??? - a $40 motor and a $40 ESC, on top of a $112 airplane (no shipping cost) makes less than $200 where I was taught math.

Retracts are a maintenance nightmare - ever had any? There is nothing simpler than hand-or-bungee launch. Nothing.
ah so you're re-using the stock fan then, and balancing yourself.
I see the majority of the value in Don's set-up in his dynamic balancing of the fan and motor, not just the motor itself.
You're also assuming they have 4S 2200 or 2700 packs already, or go straight to 4S and avoid buying 3S packs (I flew my Stinger for 12 flights with 3S 2200 I already had).
Your math looks good. My apologies, it's been quite a few years since I had a couple years of calculus I & II in Engineering school :P

I have 2 planes with retracts right now, FMS 1.5M Mustang and JPower P-38. They do take some work but usually only when I mess up a landing lol
Take offs and landings are at least 1/2 the fun of flying RC for me. YMMV!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:07 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Up front.

I apologize for ...... Assertive comments. I'm 4 Rum & Cokes into celebrating return to real life - tonite, for the first time in 7 weeks, my right foot is on the ground and in use, after Achilles' tendon reconstruction. And I am happy not to be on those gawdawful crutches, or falling over on my own face.
ouch! Congrats
I'm on my second JB and coke, injury free (knock on wood!)
BTW I grew up in Ringoes NJ and worked in Lambertville restaurants for a few years during college. Used to golf in Doylestown all the time and enjoy the nice driving roads around Bucks County.
Not a whole lot of good street driving in Milwaukee where I live now, but Road America is only a couple hours away and I take my 308 up there at least once a year to stretch her legs.
If that's a replica Cobra you have, which kit? My lizard brain hankers for a big ol 'murican V8 sports car
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:21 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,707 Posts
Lolololol!!!!!

Ringoes..... I built my house on Bowne Station Road, up off of Boss Road, in 1986; sold it in 2004. My kids (now 32 and 30....) went to Hunterdon Central, and my wife taught in Delaware Township school for 30 years.

Small world, brother. I probably have talked to you, either at Walt's or Sneddon's........or any of a thousand other places.

The 308 is one lustful Italian, perfect as the breed runs. A 308, a Porsche 904, and a Cobra in one garage would be heaven for me. Mine is a Unique, out of Alabama; done in 2003 and everything you would hope one to be....hot, uncomfortable, loud - and more stoopid fun than words can ever hope to relay .
A big-bore motorcycle with 2 extra wheels, so we old goats cannot fall off of it.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:21 PM
owings mills MD
Joined Feb 2003
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000442 View Post
Yep I had a 68 olds 442 and I have this monster

http://www.shockerracing.com/index.p...bo-honda-s2000

Dam that s2 is clean.i have one myself,thought I'd share

lttakas is offline Find More Posts by lttakas
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:18 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttakas View Post
Dam that s2 is clean.i have one myself,thought I'd share

Awesome thanks for sharing
S2000442 is offline Find More Posts by S2000442
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:25 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,852 Posts
Pikey - my parents still live on Van Lieus Rd. Dad still has the '76 Alfa Spider me and a friend used to storm down Linvale Rd with like the Targa Floria, but with deer.
Any more pics or a vid of your Cobra?
Pops was always into Euro cars, had an almost new MGA Deluxe shipped to NJ from the UK in '65 or so when he left the USAF. Restored a few Jags then helped me buy my 1st car, a Fiat X1/9.
He also had his pilot's license, took us up in a Cessna in '77 or so.
I'm HCHS class of '90.
Small world indeed!
Tally ho!

PS: love S2000s, yours look superb. Drove one around the 'Ring in 2003, right hand drive early model from Isle of Jersey. Appears in this video I made up:
Ring of Fire (Aug 2003 Nurburgring) (2 min 34 sec)

Here's my Honda:
Last edited by Kurt; Mar 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:06 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,381 Posts
Stinger Mk2

Got mine today here is a post I did on the other thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...75&postcount=5

Shaun,
Banjofrog is online now Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:33 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Stinger v2 vs Don's Wicked 4000+

Hi all, here is a visual comparison for you to decide whether you want to go with a Stinger v2 or go with Don's Wicked 4000+ setup. Both are running 4S lipos.

Here is the Stinger V2:
Stinger 64 V2 4S EDF Sport Jet 700mm EPO (PNF) (2 min 59 sec)

And here is Don's Wicked 4000+ Setup:
Freewing Stinger 64 JET (Wicked Modified) (4 min 9 sec)

(This is not a professional video, but it will give you an indication of the speed and sound of the Wicked Setup).

Hope this helps people with their decisions.

Cheers.
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:33 PM
In the air! Not the dirt!
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
EDF Newbie!

Well I finally joined the Stinger ranks this past Sunday. I've had a red one sitting in the box all winter but finally put it together with the stock setup. I fly several prop planes a couple 450 helicopter clones but this is my first EDF.

I mounted the ESC in the right side intake and the OrangeRX receiver up high behind the battery compartment per the forums recommendations (Thanks guys!)

Using a Turnigy 2200mah 40c all the way forward it balanced just about right. There was no one else at the field so I had plenty of air space but there was very little air movement.

My first launch was left handed, football style holding behind the wings. (broke my left arm as a kid & it doesn't throw things quite right so I couldn't get a good, level grip on the finger holds). I crossed my fingers, punched the throttle and tossed... Well I didn't have enough speed and she nosedived of course, thankfully into the long grass off the runway. Nothing but a little dirt on the tip and a grass stain! Whew!

After survivng the first launch my nerves could now settle a bit. The next toss was under hand, gripping it just behind the scorpion stickers and off she went! After a couple circuits and a rather long landing it needed some up elevator and right aileron and was good to go.

You all are right, it's pretty quick but not super fast. The first landing or two were quite long but I got better.

It is quite fun to fly though and will be a good platform for me to learn the in's and outs of an EDF jet. And who knows, maybe I'll make it go faster some day.

I only had time for three packs and a few landings and launches (the underhand launches actually work very well!) but it was pretty cool to finally get it in the air and I can't wait for the next flights.
nodirt is offline Find More Posts by nodirt
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:17 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,852 Posts
congrats!
This was my first EDF as well. Having some experience with quicker planes (Radjet pusher) was a plus.
I'll have to try an underhand launch, just for the heck of it.
For the last 10 flights I've given her healthy football throws (right hand, luckily never broken!) behind the wings. Those little finger detents are worthless IMO.
If you haven't done so, consider moving the aileron links above the wings as the control horns take a beating on landings.
Many happy flights!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:20 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
949 Posts
Good to hear, it's a fun little jet stock and easy to mod later on.

Cheers
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider