HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:47 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
949 Posts
AAhh man. That looks like a nightmare from the 1980's. A least they got the 4s upgrade figured out. Nothing a little tape and Krylon can't fix.

Hobby Lobby still has them if anyone is looking....

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/stinger_6...36475_prd1.htm

Cheers
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:35 PM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
352 Posts
Don,t worry. If it,s the same paint they used on the other ones, it wont stay on very long.
topher is offline Find More Posts by topher
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:52 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
Thanks!
I emailed them earlier this week, said they had a big shipment to unload and there should be spare fuse's in there.

Just ordered one even though my twice-repaired fuse flew great today with the new fan Don shipped out immediately after I placed the order last Sunday.

Have to say I'm not overly impressed with the flimsy plastic fan-shroud and "matching" fan. Had a fairly serious rub until I enlarged the motor mounting holes with a small round file, and the plastic surround is so thin even torquing down the wing screws firmly will deform it and cause a rub/potential blade explosion.

Anyone try one of these $31 alloy-shrouded 64mm 4000kV units from HK?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Version_.html

I don't know that another EDF is in my future (a Dynam PBY is next) but if it's another 64mm would likely give the HK one a go.

Have some video including a snow landing that I'm editing up now.
The fan sounds a bit funny (felt fairly good spooling up on the ground) but it made it through 2 batteries and thrust was great. Don informed that almost all fans would benefit from balancing, which unless you have a dynamic balancing system is a hit-or-miss affair of adding a small weight inside the fan hub, spooling it up, "feeling" the vibrations, moving the weight 1/5 rev then repeating. And repeating. etc.

BTW the new Stinger is HORRID lol
WTH are they smoking over there???
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:33 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Have to say I'm not overly impressed with the flimsy plastic fan-shroud and "matching" fan. Had a fairly serious rub until I enlarged the motor mounting holes with a small round file, and the plastic surround is so thin even torquing down the wing screws firmly will deform it and cause a rub/potential blade explosion.

are you saying the fan from Don's is flimsy ? i was about to order a motor & fan from him.
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:08 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
are you saying the fan from Don's is flimsy ? i was about to order a motor & fan from him.
Not the fan, the housing.
I initially bought the 4000+ set up, which comes assembled and balanced (for $10 more I think) and has awesome performance.
When swapping out the stock unit with the 4000+ I did have to take off and put on the main wing a couple times, juuuuuust tightening the 4 screws enough that the wing didn't wobble but there was a minimum amount of pressure on the fan housing. Otherwise it would deform and blades would rub.
After a poor launch resulted in the belly hitting the ground (firm snow) fairly hard (but if it had been blacktop and the plane had wheels it would have bounced right back in the air, no question or problem) the shroud deformed and all 5 blades liberated.
The shroud was probably ok to re-use but since the replacement fan from Don comes with a new shroud I swapped it out.
The new shroud is just as thin and flexy as the 1st one, plus the holes to bolt the motor (a stub shaft that goes to the motor actually) located just enough off from center to cause a significant rub when the fan was installed.
It's not Don's fault he's just re-selling the fan and shroud, unless you buy the motor and balancing option at the same time.
An alloy shroud seems like a good idea, if a bit heavier.
It's got to be stronger than the plastic ones which would save your fan in case of a relatively minor crash.
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:44 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,459 Posts
ok i see, the wing was compressing the shroud. maybe shaving a bit of foam around that area might keep from compressing ? i'm fixing to get a setup for my Stinger & my Phase 3 EF-16

thanks for the heads up on that !
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:36 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
a bungee hook should never go under the wing of an airplane.............especially a jet. it's a sure fire recipe for disaster. the ideal location for a bungee hook, is 60% of the distance between the tip of the nose and the CG of the airplane. it will give you a nice flat trajectory at launch. get too close to the CG and you get a launch that is more akin to a high lift glider launch, which is darn near straight up. not the most ideal thing for a jet that would be marginally flyable at that point. take the advice or leave it, but most on here would agree with me, that the advice is sound. even Nick Ziroli uses the 60% point for his bungee hooks.

Rich
the way we do it, because ,every plane has different nose to wing, wing to cg dimensions , is to hang the plane ready to fly , battery ect., w/ a string on a tempo hook rubber banded to the fuse , simple from here, just move the hook fore and aft to get a 15-20 degree nose up or out if u will, attitude when hanging vert.

this is the way it will come off the bungee , slightly nose up. we use this with no launch ramp of any kind, just a 2-3 ' post in the ground and about 8-10' of that chepo h/k bungee w/ a loop in the end. tie it to the post at the top, loop to hook, pull back firmly w/ the plane at the ground level . throttle to about 200watts /lb and let her rip. dont be afraid to pull it back enough, some where around double the length of the limp bungee.

zero drama, clears the stick no prob and is flying in 2 feet.
sure , there are other ways , but no simpler. use the bigger bungee for 2 1/2 lbs and up .

chuck
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
owings mills MD
Joined Feb 2003
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
I know we're supposed to be Hooligans to fly this plane but this is a little over the top no?
Attachment 5599936
Attachment 5599937

I think it looks amazing,most beautiful layout with decals and colors.i just bought one along with 5cell and a 60amp esc,can't wait to see how long the 3500kv motor will last.
lttakas is offline Find More Posts by lttakas
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:56 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttakas View Post
I think it looks amazing,most beautiful layout with decals and colors.i just bought one along with 5cell and a 60amp esc,can't wait to see how long the 3500kv motor will last.
NICE!!! Please share some data when you try it on 5S.
Arxangel is online now Find More Posts by Arxangel
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:51 PM
owings mills MD
Joined Feb 2003
540 Posts
The only thing I am worried about is if the 5 bladed prop is well balanced.it would be catastrophic having blades ripping apart,just not sure with theyr manufacturing quality.i crunched some numbers and lookin around 64750+rpms out of 3500kv motor on 18.5 volts,comparing that to 3800kv motor on 14.8 volts it would be spinning at 56248rpms .compare the two motors side by side i am maxing out the 3500kv by 8502 rpms.fingers crossed if all goes well could be seeing around 130mph speeds.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:12 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lttakas View Post
The only thing I am worried about is if the 5 bladed prop is well balanced.it would be catastrophic having blades ripping apart,just not sure with theyr manufacturing quality.i crunched some numbers and lookin around 64750+rpms out of 3500kv motor on 18.5 volts,comparing that to 3800kv motor on 14.8 volts it would be spinning at 56248rpms .compare the two motors side by side i am maxing out the 3500kv by 8502 rpms.fingers crossed if all goes well could be seeing around 130mph speeds.
Please keep in mind that completely unloaded motor speed, and loaded motor speed, are worlds apart. Your 3500, if honestly spectacular, will achieve about 92% of unloaded speed once put into play; that would be around 59,600rpm. Much more likely is numbers in the 80% to 86% range. Plus, 18.5v is a 5s pack - and we really wanna see the video for that run!

Good luck with all. Hope it works - we'll all be on that bandwagon.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:41 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
the way we do it, because ,every plane has different nose to wing, wing to cg dimensions , is to hang the plane ready to fly , battery ect., w/ a string on a tempo hook rubber banded to the fuse , simple from here, just move the hook fore and aft to get a 15-20 degree nose up or out if u will, attitude when hanging vert.

this is the way it will come off the bungee , slightly nose up. we use this with no launch ramp of any kind, just a 2-3 ' post in the ground and about 8-10' of that chepo h/k bungee w/ a loop in the end. tie it to the post at the top, loop to hook, pull back firmly w/ the plane at the ground level . throttle to about 200watts /lb and let her rip. dont be afraid to pull it back enough, some where around double the length of the limp bungee.

zero drama, clears the stick no prob and is flying in 2 feet.
sure , there are other ways , but no simpler. use the bigger bungee for 2 1/2 lbs and up .

chuck
agreed, but 99% of the time, 60% from nose to CG works for jets. this is the simple method and it works. no math and no guesswork.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:37 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
agreed, but 99% of the time, 60% from nose to CG works for jets. this is the simple method and it works. no math and no guesswork.

Rich
it seems your method is the one w/ math, mine has no guesswork
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:42 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,805 Posts
Rich,
My hook is just ahead of the CG. It leaves the bungee at about 25 degrees. If it was 60% of nose to CG, it would come off the bungee really flat I would think. Plus, who wants a hook protruding from the nose?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:26 AM
owings mills MD
Joined Feb 2003
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Please keep in mind that completely unloaded motor speed, and loaded motor speed, are worlds apart. Your 3500, if honestly spectacular, will achieve about 92% of unloaded speed once put into play; that would be around 59,600rpm. Much more likely is numbers in the 80% to 86% range. Plus, 18.5v is a 5s pack - and we really wanna see the video for that run!

Good luck with all. Hope it works - we'll all be on that bandwagon.

That does worry me just a little.do they make a 6 bladed "impeller" ? It would be nice to put more load on the motor.does anyone know what max rpms the 2836 hobby king motors rated for?