HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:12 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi all,
I have read of many different 4S battery sizes to use when modifying with Dons 4000+ setup and I was wondering if there has been a common size agreed on by flyers that offers the best: flight time /CG / least amount of foam removal?

I have looked into Nano-tech 1800 4S batteies and they will be almost a direct slide in fitment whereas the 2200 nanotech's will require quite a large amount of foam removal. Would the 400mah make much difference in flight time?, but on the other hand would the 1800's be heavy enough to balance the plane with the heavier Don's edf/esc installed?

Any input/experience's appreciated as I dont want to buy the wrong batteries for the plane.

Cheers
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:38 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
I use Eco power 4s2200 and no removal if foam. Good cg range and about 4-4:20. Also 4s2200 fr headsup RC and glacier 4s 2200 as well. All fit nicely. Good luck.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:43 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi dth7, thanks for your replies.

I have looked up headsup rc, but unfortunately they do not ship internationally :-( (I'm in Australia).

Also, I was not able to find any listings on ebay for the ecopower lipo's or glacier lipo's :-( :-(

So I'm back where i started ...

Thanks again.

Does anyone else have any 4S lipo comments?

Cheers
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:40 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Please try to include c ratings.
Higher c are larger.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:10 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
If you move the ESC into one of the intakes and tuck up the rx a 4S 2200 or even a 35C 2700mah Zippy Compact (great battery) will fit just fine.

On 4S mine burns over 400mAh/min with Don's Wicked set up so every extra mAh is nice to have

pics
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2118

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2128

Zippy Compact 2700
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:18 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,667 Posts
Lordy me, I sure hope HK gets these back in stock before too much longer. I have parts that will go into a kit, but it seems they and Banana are the only vendors with kits, and both are out of stock. Natch . Reading this thread is making it more difficult to hold out...... It will be nice to have an EDF that can be hand-launched and belly-landed, AND small enough to be carried around without having to make special prep to do so.

Dang. Please hurry up, HK. Really don't wanna have to go get an ARF.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for that info, much appreciated!

So the zippy compact looks like a great option (no foam removal), I can't believe they can make a 4S battery with those specs that little and thin!

Before I go and buy a heap of these batteries, some questions please:

1. Did you find that the Zippy was as 'punchy' as the nano-tech's?

2. Have you put many cycles through the Zippy?, how are they holding up? (swelling, power delivery .. etc)

3. The Zippy is quite a bit heavier than the nano-tech's 2200's, I notice that you mounted middle of the battery compartment. From the wing root while inverted, what is your CG setting with the battery placed there? (I have set my plane at 72mm and it is well behaved, curious what your CG is?).

4. Does your stinger want to dramatically drop it's nose while flying with the zippy?

5. Did you install Don's heavier 4000+ (plus) motor and his 60amp ESC?
(that is what I have ordered so it will be good for CG comparisons if your setup is the same).

Thanks again, look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Andrew
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:01 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Andrew -
I have two Zippy Compact 2700s, each with about 20 cycles in my 1.5M FMS P-51 and 2 each in the Stinger. Neither has been below ~80% discharged. No puffing.
Going to get another couple for the 1.5M P-38 that's just waiting for spring time.

I hadn't noticed any power difference vs the nano-tech 2200s (also 35C).
Even with the extra weight she'll still float down nicely on landings.

I don't notice much of a difference, if any, due to the heavier weight. I may have added a couple clicks of up elev trim with the 2700, can't remember lol

Yes I'm running Don's 'Plus" set-up, flight report here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...k#post23299235

ESC is a "Hobbywing Pentium" (almost definitely a clone/counterfeit, not made by Hobbywing, but mine's worked fine for ~12 flights and the price is great.) 60A:
http://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-Pent...bywing+pentium
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:31 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your info, sounds great!
I'm off to order 4 of these Zippy 2700's now.

I just put another 3 flights in this afternoon on the stock 3S setup... that's 11 flights on the Stinger now ...have to say, bored with the standard flight speed.
(It's just like flying a jet, only in slow motion :S).

Really looking forward to the arrival of Don 's Wicked setup! :P

Thanks for your help, appreciated.

Andrew

p.s. Oh one more thing, what was your final flight timer setting with the 2700's when using 100% throttle to safely bring them down before 80% discharge?

Cheers
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit_01 View Post
p.s. Oh one more thing, what was your final flight timer setting with the 2700's when using 100% throttle to safely bring them down before 80% discharge?
I set my timer for 4:30 which gave me an easy 30 seconds to bring her in, with a go-around if necessary.

Not knowing your flying style on at least your first flight with the new pack I'd recommend setting it for 4 minutes just to be on the safe side.
Once you run a few packs through, noting the time and mAh required to recharge, adjust the timer accordingly.
I bring a little notebook to the field and record this data for almost all my planes and packs.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:30 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi Kurt,

Ok thanks for your info, appreciated.

I'll follow your experience and start at 4:00 and then adjust accordingly.

The Zippy Compacts are now bought and paid for and I received Don's Wicked package this morning (excellent!).

So after the re-build, this coming weekend should be a fun time :-) (weather permitting).

Cheers
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:17 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Lordy me, I sure hope HK gets these back in stock before too much longer. I have parts that will go into a kit, but it seems they and Banana are the only vendors with kits, and both are out of stock. Natch . Reading this thread is making it more difficult to hold out...... It will be nice to have an EDF that can be hand-launched and belly-landed, AND small enough to be carried around without having to make special prep to do so.

Dang. Please hurry up, HK. Really don't wanna have to go get an ARF.
Hi,
$120 at hobbylobby. I know you don't want an arf but the MG servos are pretty stout. Its a good buy. I was waiting for a kit too, but I just bought an arf from them and I can use the electronics elsewhere.

Cheers
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:11 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,667 Posts
Yah....

Thanks for that nudge of confidence - HobbyLobby have been good to me in the past, and waiting got impossible. Looked long and hard at the HobbyLobby plane too; liked the idea of getting better parts since it had become clear that an ARF was the only way of getting one. Looked at Banana's $100 ARF's, at Value Hobby's $90 ARF's......but bought from Motion RC for $110. They're new to me, figured they deserved a shot at it - came thru just fine, delivered unscathed in 3 days. That price included shipping, btw.

So, there will soon be another little red scooter in the air. Looking forward to that!
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:03 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi all,

Well I got the maiden and second flight in using the new Wicked upgraded 4000+ (plus) motor/EDF/60A ESC combo running on Zippy Compact 2700mah 14.8V 4S 35C series lipo's, all I can say is WOW!!! :-D

This plane is now Very exciting to fly!!

I got a bad crosswind gust just as I threw it which made for some exciting post-launch recovery.
The speed of the jet is now very deceptive and I was lucky at the start that I didnt lose sight of it cos it gets very small much faster now.
My friend was struggling to keep up with it with the video camera but all up I think he did very well to get any shots in frame ;-)
Was a hairy, slightly messy flight but TOTALLY enjoyable!
(I recommend this upgrade for some seriously exciting flying, Thanks for the great parts Don! ).

Anyway here is the video:

Freewing Stinger 64 JET (Wicked Modified) (4 min 9 sec)

Cheers :-)
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:16 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,206 Posts
Nice launch, well done!
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2