HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:36 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Ok, the inverted COG is good to know, thanks guys :-)

[KCinNC, I went with the hotter 4000+ (plus) motor, with the EDO Type 1 fan].

Re: 3S 2200mah ... Any thoughts on if there would be a power and/or COG balance benefit to maidening on the Don's setup or leaving stock setup?

Thanks again ;-)

Andrew
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:11 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Don's 4k setup is really a 4 cell setup. He has a 4.8k motor that rocks on 3 cell. BUT!.....
I think you'll find that Don's setup will be about equal to stock on 3 cell. It;s more efficient and more powerful.
So the choice is really if you want your maiden to be a little lighter (and louder due to stock fan) or do you feel comfortable with a slightly heavier plane that flys easy but may take a bit more planning to land where you want.
I went the stock route because I feel safer with a lighter plane for maiden.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:04 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,484 Posts
Don's 4000kv motor really isn't an "upgrade" if you are only using 3S 2200mah. The stock motor is 4300kv. A cheap way to upgrade performance and keep the stock motor is get a different fan, like I did:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1333
Generates 370 watts, flies the plane well. It's no slouch, but no rocket either. The only additional change I'd make is to add 3 additional stators to the stock housing to get rid of some resonance. The Cyclone 4500 kv motor and the Cyclone 6 blade fan is comparable to the Don's 4800kv+stock fan and would make a really good set up for 3S. You'd have greater than 1:1 T/W and it would still be light.
Also, with the stock fan, Don's 4800 is the way to go on 3S 2200mah. I have that set as well, in another plane.

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:06 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Ok thanks guys, I appreciate your input :-)

Cheers

Andrew
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:26 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Oh, 2 more questions, I have read that these Stingers can be a little Sqirrely, so:

RX3S OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer V2
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=28456

1. Does anyone know is these stabilizers are any good?

2. Do they replace my Spektrum AR600 receiver or are they added extra into the electrics?

Thanks again ;-)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:45 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
you might be better off with the new Spektrum 6 channel receiver with all that built right in.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:53 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,421 Posts
i have one of the orange stabilizers in my 800mm AT6 . am only using it on the aielerons. but it works great. these DO NOT replace the reciever !! you will need a reciever

you are going to need a male to male extension from the stabilizer to reciever though ! sounds creepy...just a servo wire with 2 male ends. i actually had to make my own
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:33 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Thanks KCinNC, all the extra wiring sounds like a pain on the orange unit, oh well.

LuvEvolution7, a real spektrum unit sounds good, can you quote the model so i can research it?

Thanks both again :-)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:16 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR635
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:11 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
163 Posts
I don't think you need a flight stabilizer for the stinger at all
the plane is steady enough even on high weight loads like mine
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:13 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Wow, excellent, I didnt know that unit existed!
Thanks! :-)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:14 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi Kakofonixx, that is probably true, but I really like the idea of having the option of AS3X on larger planes if I want it.
(I am considering one of these spektrum units for a small and light 680mm Sbach342 i have, as it gets quite wind effected).

After I have maidened the Stinger, i'll see how I feel about the AS3X option for that plane.

Cheers
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:45 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,745 Posts
The Stinger needs no stabilizer nor gyro. Fly it by the seat of your pants like the old timers do. Just put some exponential into the dual rates, and use the low rates until you get the feel.
Really, only the aileron axis may be a little "squirrley". Otherwise it flies very tame for an EDF.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:36 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
If you move the linkages on the ailerons to where they should be..IE: First or second hole of servo and last hole of flying surface....I think you'll find the plane isn't even a bit difficult to fly. I don't even have rates turned down for general flying.
But I understand what you're saying. I think that unit might be fun to try on some model. And no reason for it not to be this one except there is VERY little space for esc and receiver.

I ended up cutting the turtle deck and making it removable just behind where the canopy mounts so I could get my hands in there to make room for and clean up the mess of wire from the receiver.
I just paint the edges of the piece and that keeps it on until I need to remove it again.
Also makes the fan easier to remove because the connectors can be taken apart without moving the ESC.
Sorry...Just rambling..
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:51 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
you might be better off with the new Spektrum 6 channel receiver with all that built right in.
Hi
Are these out yet? Is there a thread? Thanks.

Also, orbit, I would try to keep the weight down on the stinger. It's quick stock, but extra weight, even a little, will affect its flight. Stabilizers and more electronics are not needed, it flies well, just stay ahead of it a little.

Cheers
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider