SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:40 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Just a heads up the Hobbywing Penitum 60A ESC recommended by Don for his 4000kV system is on sale for $23.90 with free shipping on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

I bought one from the same seller for $29 over the summer and have been using it with my Wicked set-up.
Just ordered another for the tool kit's "future parts" drawer.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:58 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
A few pages back I posted a pic of a VTO with the Stinger 64. Here's a short raw video with a key fob POV camera. Give it a try, it's a hoot. disclaimer- make sure it is far enough away from people and obstructions, the first few seconds are sporty! Enjoy.

Stinger 64 VTO- 4s, Don;s Wicked, 50 A esc (max speed just under 100 mph (est) (0 min 34 sec)
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:54 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
very cool!

I gave this a half-heated try, once towards the end of the flying season, with Don's "plus" set-up as well but she only got about 3' off the deck before flopping over.
I take it you jammed it immediately to WOT?
2200mAh 4S?

Have to try it again once spring rolls around.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:59 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Just a heads up the Hobbywing Penitum 60A ESC recommended by Don for his 4000kV system is on sale for $23.90 with free shipping on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

I bought one from the same seller for $29 over the summer and have been using it with my Wicked set-up.
Just ordered another for the tool kit's "future parts" drawer.
Just be careful with the low cost "Pentium" ESC found on the net. Those are actually clones, not real Hobbywing ESCs. That is why Hobbywing now sells under the name of FlyFun and also includes and anticounterfeit code with each ESC now. If the ones you got runs OK then you should be fine, but sometimes they have issues mainly about 2/3 throttle, they make the motor hiccup or stutter and cause pulsing which can lead to ESC failure and or motor failure. I tried them once when I thought I was getting poor pricing from Hobbywing and had 3 of 10 fail then found out what was going on from my supplier in China, there were two sources, one was genuine the other at a much lower cost was from a "factory that can not guarantee where they were made". The looked identical but they did not all work equal. So saying just be careful.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:35 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Interesting.
So there's no way of telling if a "Hobbywing Pentium" is genuine or not (other than to buy a "Flyfun")?

The one I'm currently using came in the electrostatic pouch and if memory serves had a pretty nicely printed instruction manual as well.

Guess I got lucky

On the plus side since it's bought through Amazon if it doesn't work you should have recourse to get a replacement or a refund.

This would be the real deal then?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Hobbywin...153#vi-content
Last edited by Kurt; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:58 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
HW "Pentiums" have not been made by Hobbywing since May 1st, 2011 so it is possible that it is old stock. Also part of the story that was told to me was that the person starting the new company was a disgruntled engineer from HW. The clones were really good and mostly were only available in 30, 40 , and 60 amps versions. It was not long after that HW went to version 4.0 with a new logo and look, they also changed the name from Pentium to Fentium then to Fly Fun and included the anti counterfeit codes.

From their website:
"Hobbywing products are very popular in RC market and widely accepted by RC fans because of good qualities and nice performances. But there are many counterfeits on market now, some of them even use labels and packing box with Hobbywing brand names. These counterfeits hurt Hobbywing’s reputation and also hurt RC users.

So Hobbywing begins to use anti-counterfeit code since Dec 2011. Now there is an anti-counterfeit label on the packing box/bag of the following products:
Speed Controller (ESC), motor, and combo (ESC + motor + Program box)

Each anti-counterfeit label has a unique code (20 numbers). User can input the code on the Hobbywing website to check if it is true or fake."

As long as the one on the ebay link includes a valid code then you got a real one. The code is a small label on the ESC itself and also on the outside of the the packaging.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:18 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
They made a good move changing the name from Fentium

It is more than a bit ironic, hearing complaints about counterfeiting from a Chinese company...

BTW I didn't order a Flyfun off Ebay, but good to know about the label with code on "genuine" Hobbywing products!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:24 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
heh, right after Don't post I sent a message to the amazon seller "Dealextreme4u" and got the following response back in about 15 minutes.
Refreshingly honest, as well as slightly amusing (yet impressive!) English!

BTW I placed my order for this ESC at 2:30PM today and at 8PM received notice that it shipped.
They're no "Don's Wicked" of course, but clone or not this seller is on the ball.

--------------------------
Hi Kurt, yes, I heard same thing, it is not easy to tell it is genuine or not, but personally I check inside ever the esc making, I cannot find any different, as well as that of using during flight. While, to be honest, we source the supply from China, the hobbywing agent, but god knows if it is real; we got our supplier that any defective can be exchanged

--- Original message ---

Order ID 109-3023941-7214617:
1 of Hobbywing Pentium 60A ESC Speed Controller W/ 3A Swich-mode BEC [ASIN: B0090X5UB2]

------------- Begin message -------------

Hello,

Could you please confirm that this is a "genuine" Hobbywing product?
I have heard that some of these lower cost "Hobbywing" ESCs are in fact clones.

Thank you,
Kurt
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:28 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
I guess their "Hobbywing agent" must have lots of left over ESCs from before May 1st 2011
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
very cool!

I gave this a half-heated try, once towards the end of the flying season, with Don's "plus" set-up as well but she only got about 3' off the deck before flopping over.
I take it you jammed it immediately to WOT?
2200mAh 4S?

Have to try it again once spring rolls around.
Commitment is the name of the game! Once you are go for throttle up you have to go! Can get un nerving when it rolls over on its back.
Good luck in spring.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:39 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I guess their "Hobbywing agent" must have lots of left over ESCs from before May 1st 2011
Only God knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Commitment is the name of the game! Once you are go for throttle up you have to go! Can get un nerving when it rolls over on its back.
Good luck in spring.
Roger that Mav!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
Please get that on video.
Here it is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wMtCj3qGNAI
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:29 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
What happened to the twirling in you hand before vto? Lol
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
What happened to the twirling in you hand before vto? Lol
Ha, good memory! Forgot about that til you mentioned it. That one attempt didn't work out so well. Maybe give it another try in spring.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:28 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,491 Posts
Boy, I've had a hell of time getting this bird to fly.
The Stinger is my 3rd EDF, UMX Mig15 and BH F86 Sabre being my first two.
I never had a problem launching either of the previous 2 but the Stinger, I feel I need to chuck it hard like a baseball to get any velocity to keep her up.
I have her completely stock with a 1300mah 3s bat.
I put about 28 grams of ballast in the nose (stuck them onto the front landing gear hatch) to get her balanced at the 65mm mark.
My first launch was an underhand toss that didn't have enough thrust or umph behind it. Broke the nose. Second launch was full throttle but still didn't seem to have enough umph in the toss.
Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'm going to try chucking it really hard at 20 degrees, full throttle and see what happens.
or should I do it differently?
Suggestions welcome.
Thanks
-Patrick
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership