HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
Hi All-
I just successfully maidened my new stock Stinger 64. Thanks to all for your tips, advice, and info.
Quick Question: When range testing, the engine goes full-power when signal lost. Does anyone know how to program the stock ESC so that it either kills or idles the engine if the receiver loses signal?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Tom
What transmitter are you using??
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
156 Posts
Spectrum DX6i
It's controlled by the esc... Isn't it?
TomTerrific is online now Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:05 PM
Katowice, Poland
Joined Nov 2005
124 Posts
I'd rather take a look on the failsafe function on your TX/RX set.
Anasazi is offline Find More Posts by Anasazi
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
Spectrum DX6i
It's controlled by the esc... Isn't it?
Not usually.

The ESC needs a signal from the RX to do anything.

If you just plug in a Lipo pack to the ESC that is connected to a motor only, you might get a beep or two but no rpm.

Add a receiver and you can control the operation of the motor using your TX. Take away the TX or the TX signal and the reciver will defalt to TX settings when the RX was mated to the TX (Bind procedure).

Most radios default to low throttle position--some let you decide. Mine are set to a low, but still running setting so that I know I have lost connection. I don't use the DX6i very often. Can you set a sysyem level throttle position???

Don't wory about that question. Please try this and tell me/us what happens. Just put your throttle at low position and rebind and then switch off everything.

Take out the bind plug--Put stick at low throttle, switch on TX, Plug in LIPO.again and test the motor. Then just switch off the TX. It should all stay quiet.

Hold onto the aiplane while doing this :-)

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
156 Posts
Thanks for the heaps of help. I'm out of town until Sunday. I'll try these things and report back. More to follow...
Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jul 2012
156 Posts
Hi Eric- yes, that fixed the problem instantly. Now when the receiver losses signal, the engine goes to off. Much safer now I would think.

I must have originally bound the receiver with the transmitter on full throttle(thinking that would help set the throttle range)

Thanks again for the full explanation and assistance!
Take Care
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:06 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
880 Posts
So it's cold and snowy here and time to inspect and maintain all things rc. I took out the edf unit in my Stinger and after 50 or so flights the old fan was dinged up. I ordered a couple of new ones and put them in the test stand, hooked them up to my backyard vibration analysis and found the new fan not balanced, big surprise eh?. Using the clock method, I was able to get it sounding pretty good. I know using the ipod is probably not 100%, but it definitely helps. After balancing, the fan has much less vibration and is quieter. The first video is just installing the fan on ther motor randomly. The second video is after some tuning. Time to do the habu next.

unbalanced:

Stinger 64 edf balance video 2 (0 min 55 sec)

balanced:

Stinger 64 edf fan balance (0 min 47 sec)
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Last edited by supercollider; Jan 04, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:46 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Just checking in...
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:30 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Much better but Don has ya beat for 10 Bucks more and i do not have to do the work...its a no Brainer

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:06 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
880 Posts
Don't think I could justify $10 plus shipping for every stock edf unit I have. Took me around 20 minutes to clean this one up. Not perfect but I don't believe that's possible with these stock units. If you purchase a power upgrade from Don or anyone else, then of course have them dynamically balance it. These cheap units ($12) don't need much to make them run a little smoother. Just my opinion.

Cheers
Last edited by supercollider; Jan 09, 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:08 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,910 Posts
and if u are willing they can be made very smooth, but the motors must be balanced also.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:33 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
and if u are willing they can be made very smooth, but the motors must be balanced also.

chuck.
Agree, the stock freewing motor is unbalanced. I don't want to open the motor up so I just clock the fan to try and cancel the imbalance. Break in the weather, might try to sneak out for quick flight or two.

Cheers
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:24 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
880 Posts
The weather cooperated enough to get 6 more flights in. Fingers got a little cold but all went well. Sounds a little quieter wot, I think the motor bearings will be happier anyway. Feeling the itch for a 4s setup, anyone have any good power upgrades to recommend?

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:59 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
The weather cooperated enough to get 6 more flights in. Fingers got a little cold but all went well. Sounds a little quieter wot, I think the motor bearings will be happier anyway. Feeling the itch for a 4s setup, anyone have any good power upgrades to recommend?

Thanks
The RCLander Red Velocity 4300kv alloy EDF is a great upgrade. It also draws only 47a, makes 1200g of thrust, and balances perfectly with a 2200mAh pack.

That setup is hard to beat for a solid upgrade. Only recently have I stepped up to Don's badass Wicked Plus HET units.
Alpha10 is online now Find More Posts by Alpha10
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:26 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha10 View Post
The RCLander Red Velocity 4300kv alloy EDF is a great upgrade. It also draws only 47a, makes 1200g of thrust, and balances perfectly with a 2200mAh pack.

That setup is hard to beat for a solid upgrade. Only recently have I stepped up to Don's badass Wicked Plus HET units.
I'll check that out. Thanks